Evaluation of Herpes Simplex Virus 1 Thymidine Kinase-Mediated Trapping of 131I FIAU and Prodrug Activation of Ganciclovir as a Synergistic Cancer Radio/Chemotherapy
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Evaluation of selective killing of Herpes Simplex Virus 1 thymidine kinase (HSV1-tk) expressing tumors by radiolabeled 131I-fialuridine (FIAU), and of synergy between 131I-FIAU and Ganciclovir (GCV).
HSV1-tk-expressing cell lines and parental cell lines were exposed to 131I-FIAU alone, GCV alone, or combinations. Activity and concentration were varied widely, concurrent and sequential administrations tested, and dose rate effects were studied.
HSV1-tk-expressing cells accumulated up to 15.7-fold more 131I-FIAU, were growth inhibited by 2 μCi/ml, or 5 μCi/ml 131I-FIAU, and were inhibited by two log orders lower concentrations of GCV than parental cells. However, no synergy or additive effect was observed. Dose rate variations, or sequential treatment, did not alter outcome.
Radioisotope therapy of HSV1-tk-expressing tumor cells with 131I-FIAU is reported for the first time. Lack of synergy between 131I-FIAU and GCV does not warrant further investigation of combination treatment with the two agents.
- Elion GB (1993) Acyclovir: discovery, mechanism of action, and selectivity. J Med Virol (Suppl 1):2–6
- Pizer LI, Mitchell DH, Bentele B, Betz JL (1987) A mammalian cell line designed to test the mutagenic activity of anti-herpes nucleosides. Int J Cancer 40(1):114–121 CrossRef
- Freeman S, Gardiner JM (1996) Acyclic nucleosides as antiviral compounds. Mol Biotechnol 5(2):125–137
- Tjuvajev JG, Stockhammer G, Desai R, et al. (1995) Imaging the expression of transfected genes in vivo. Cancer Res 55(24):6126–6132
- Yaghoubi S, Barrio JR, Dahlbom M, et al. (2001) Human pharmacokinetic and dosimetry studies of [(18)F]FHBG: a reporter probe for imaging herpes simplex virus type-1 thymidine kinase reporter gene expression. J Nucl Med 42(8):1225–1234
- Schipper ML, Gambhir SS (2006) Imaging gene expression: Concepts and future outlook. In: Schiepers C (ed) Diagnostic nuclear medicine. Berlin Heidelberg New York: Springer, p 313–342 CrossRef
- Penuelas I, Mazzolini G, Boan JF, et al. (2005) Positron emission tomography imaging of adenoviral-mediated transgene expression in liver cancer patients. Gastroenterology 128(7):1787–1795 CrossRef
- Klatzmann D, Valery CA, Bensimon G, et al. (1998) A phase I/II study of herpes simplex virus type 1 thymidine kinase “suicide” gene therapy for recurrent glioblastoma. Study Group on Gene Therapy for Glioblastoma. Hum Gene Ther 9(17):2595–2604 CrossRef
- Behr TM, Wulst E, Radetzky S, et al. (1997) Improved treatment of medullary thyroid cancer in a nude mouse model by combined radioimmunochemotherapy: doxorubicin potentiates the therapeutic efficacy of radiolabeled antibodies in a radioresistant tumor type. Cancer Res 57(23):5309–5319
- Kang KW, Min JJ, Chen X, Gambhir SS (2005) Comparison of [(14)C]FMAU, [(3)H]FEAU, [(14)C]FIAU, and [(3)H]PCV for monitoring reporter gene expression of wild type and mutant herpes simplex virus type 1 thymidine kinase in cell culture. Mol Imaging Biol Jul-Aug 7(4):296–303
- Brust P, Haubner R, Friedrich A, et al. (2001) Comparison of [18F]FHPG and [124/125I]FIAU for imaging herpes simplex virus type 1 thymidine kinase gene expression. Eur J Nucl Med 28(6):721–729 CrossRef
- Gambhir SS, Bauer E, Black ME, et al. (2000) A mutant herpes simplex virus type 1 thymidine kinase reporter gene shows improved sensitivity for imaging reporter gene expression with positron emission tomography. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97(6):2785–2790 CrossRef
- Min JJ, Iyer M, Gambhir SS (2003) Comparison of [18F]FHBG and [14C]FIAU for imaging of HSV1-tk reporter gene expression: adenoviral infection vs stable transfection. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 30(11):1547–1560 CrossRef
- Chen SH, Shine HD, Goodman JC, Grossman RG, Woo SL (1994) Gene therapy for brain tumors: regression of experimental gliomas by adenovirus-mediated gene transfer in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 91(8):3054–3057 CrossRef
- Haberkorn U, Altmann A, Morr I, et al. (1997) Monitoring gene therapy with herpes simplex virus thymidine kinase in hepatoma cells: uptake of specific substrates. J Nucl Med 38(2):287–294
- Quigg M, Mairs RJ, Brown SM, et al. (2005) Assessment in vitro of a novel therapeutic strategy for glioma, combining herpes simplex virus HSV1716-mediated oncolysis with gene transfer and targeted radiotherapy. Med Chem 1(5):423–429 CrossRef
- Buursma AR, Rutgers V, Hospers GA, et al. (2006) 18F-FEAU as a radiotracer for herpes simplex virus thymidine kinase gene expression: in-vitro comparison with other PET tracers. Nucl Med Commun 27(1):25–30 CrossRef
- Evaluation of Herpes Simplex Virus 1 Thymidine Kinase-Mediated Trapping of 131I FIAU and Prodrug Activation of Ganciclovir as a Synergistic Cancer Radio/Chemotherapy
Molecular Imaging and Biology
Volume 9, Issue 3 , pp 110-116
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Gene therapy
- Radioisotope therapy
- Prodrug activation
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Molecular Imaging Program at Stanford (MIPS), Department of Radiology and Bio-X Program, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA, 94305-5427, USA
- 2. Molecular Imaging Program at Stanford, E 150 Clark Center, 318 Campus Drive, Palo Alto, CA, 94305-5427, USA