Belgian Public Accounting: Evolution and Compliance with IPSAS
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The Belgian public accounting system is continuously evolving, but efforts must still be made to comply with international standards. Public accounting has been modified several times since the law of 15 May 1846 on state accounting. At first, public accounting only consisted of budgetary accounting, but it then evolved and now consists of two parts: budgetary accounting and double-entry general accounting based on transactions and inspired by the one used by the private sector. So, the law of 15th March 1991 on the reform of accrual state accounting and the provincial accounting (Loi du 15 mars 1991 portant réforme de la comptabilité générale de l’Etat et de la comptabilité provinciale, M.B. 22 mai 1991) as well as the law of 22nd May 2003 on the organization of the budget and the accounting of the federal state (Loi du 22 mai 2003 portant organisation du budget et de la comptabilité de l’Etat fédéral, M.B. 3 juillet 2003) made it possible to introduce such an accounting system. This
- Benito, B., Brusca, I., & Montesinos, V. (2007). L’harmonisation des systèmes gouvernementaux d’information financière: le rôle des IPSAS. Revue Internationale des Sciences Administratives, 73(2), 323–350. CrossRef
- Brusca, I., & Condor, V. (2002). Towards the harmonisation of local accounting systems in the international context. Financial Accountability & Management, 18(2), 129–162. CrossRef
- Carvalho, J., Jorge, S., & Fernandes, M. (2007). Conformity and diversity of accounting and financial reporting practices in Portuguese local government. Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences, 24(1), 2–14. CrossRef
- FEDERATION OF EUROPEAN ACCOUNTANTS. (2007)., « Accrual Accounting in the Public Sector », Paper from the FEE Public Sector Committee, 33 p.
- Lüder, K., & Jones, R. (2003). Reforming governmental accounting and budgeting in Europe. Frankfurt am Main: Fachverlag moderne wirtschafts.
- Pina, V., & Torres, L. (2003). Reshaping public sector accounting: an international comparative view. Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences, 20(2), 334–350.
- Belgian Public Accounting: Evolution and Compliance with IPSAS
International Advances in Economic Research
Volume 19, Issue 1 , pp 79-81
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors