The Impact of Aging Population on the Rise of the Health Care Cost in the Czech Republic
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Population aging is believed to be a major factor behind the rise of health care cost worldwide. However, an increasing body of evidence in the literature on the subject of population aging and its influence on health care cost suggests that demographic changes play a relatively minor role in driving up the health care bill. Firstly, we review some available evidence. Secondly, we analyze the situation in the Czech Republic using financial and health care utilization data and demographic projections. Thirdly, we point out the main areas of health care responsible for the health care expenditures growth in the Czech Republic.
- Burner, S.T., et al. (1992). National health expenditures projections through 2030. Health Care Financing Review, p. 1–30.
- Český statistický úřad (2012). Výsledky zdravotnických účtů ČR v letech 2000 až 2010 (code: a – 3306 -12).
- Cutler, D. M., et al. (1998). Demographics and medical care spending. Standard and non – standard effects. NBER Working Paper no. W6866, December 1998.
- Evans, RG, Hertzman, C (1995) Avalanche or glacier? Health care and demographic rhetoric. Canadian Journal on Aging 14: pp. 193-224 CrossRef
- Fisher, ES (2009) Slowing the growth of health care cost - lesson from regional variation. New England Journal of Medicine 360: pp. 849-852 CrossRef
- Richardson, J., Robertson, I. (1999). Ageing and the cost of health services. Centre for Health Program Evaluation, Working Paper 90, May 1999.
- Strunk, B. C., Ginsburg, P. B. (2002). Aging plays limited role in health care cost trends. Data Bulletin, Washington: Center for Studying Health System Change, 23 September 2002, p. 1–2.
- Strunk, B.C., et al. (2006). The effect of population aging on future hospital demand. Health Affairs 25, March 2006, p. 141–149.
- The Impact of Aging Population on the Rise of the Health Care Cost in the Czech Republic
International Advances in Economic Research
Volume 19, Issue 1 , pp 11-17
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Aging of population
- Expenditure categories
- Growth rate
- Health care
- Industry Sectors