The Determinants of Price in Internet Auctions of Used Cars
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study analyzes how auction, seller, and product factors influence the price premium in an eBay used car auction market. In auctions with at least one bid, the reputation of the seller, title status, and the time the auction ended influenced the price premium on the highest bid. For auctions that resulted in a sale, cars with clear title and dealers were able to secure significantly greater price premiums, but seller reputation had no significant effect. Using a binary logit model, cars had a greater probability of selling if the seller had a better reputation. The quality of the presentation and number of pictures did not enhance the price premium in any of the models.
- Akerlof, G. (1970) The market for ‘lemons’: Quality under uncertainty and the market mechanism. Quarterly Journal of Economics 84: pp. 488-500 CrossRef
- Angwin, J. (2003). Used-car auctioneers, dealers meet online. Wall Street Journal, November 20, B1 and B13.
- Ba, S., Pavlou, P. A. (2002) Evidence of the effect of trust building technology in electronic markets: Price premium and buyer behavior. MIS Quarterly 26: pp. 243-268 CrossRef
- Bajari, P., Hortacsu, A. (2004) Economic insights from internet auctions. Journal of Economic Literature 42: pp. 457-486 CrossRef
- Barney, J., Hansen, M. (1994) Trustworthiness as a source of competitive advantage. Strategic Management Journal 15: pp. 175-190
- Choi, S. Y., Stahl, D. O., Whinston, A. B. (1997) The economics of electronic commerce. Macmillan Technical Publishing, Upper Saddle River, NJ
- Dewan, S., Hsu, V. (2004) Adverse selection in electronic markets: Evidence from online stamp auctions. Journal of Industrial Economics 52: pp. 497-516 CrossRef
- Doney, P. M., Cannon, P. (1997) An examination of the nature of trust in buyer–seller relationships. Journal of Marketing 61: pp. 35-51 CrossRef
- Economist. (2004a). E-commerce takes off. Vol. 371, issue 8375, May 15.
- Economist. (2004b). A perfect market. Vol. 371, issue 8375, May 15.
- Ederington, L. H., & Dewally, M. (2003). A comparison of reputation, certification, warranties, and information disclosure as remedies for information asymmetries: Lessons from the on-line comic book market. Working paper, Price College of Business, University of Oklahoma, cited in Bajari and Hortacsu .
- Ganesan, S. (1994) Determinants of long-term orientation in buyer–seller relationships. Journal of Marketing 58: pp. 1-19 CrossRef
- Granovetter, M. (1985) Economic action and social structure: The problem of embeddedness. American Journal of Sociology 91: pp. 481-510 CrossRef
- Horstman, I., LaCasse, C. (1997) Secret reserve prices in a bidding model with resale option. American Economic Review 87: pp. 663-684
- Houser, D., Wooders, J. (2006) Reputation in auctions: Theory and evidence from eBay. Journal of Economics & Management Strategy 15: pp. 353-369 CrossRef
- Jarvenpaa, S. L., Tractinsky, N., Vitale, M. (2000) Consumer trust in an internet store. Information Technology and Management 1: pp. 45-71 CrossRef
- Jin, G. Z., & Kato, A. (2002). Blind trust online: Experimental evidence from baseball cards. Working paper, U. of Maryland, cited in Bajari and Hortacsu .
- Kim, Y. (2005) The effects of buyer and product traits with seller reputation on price premiums in e-auction. Journal of Computer Information Systems 46: pp. 79-91
- Krause Fund Research. (2003). Analysis of eBay. November 24.
- Lee, H. G. (1998) Do electronic marketplaces lower the price of goods?. Communications of the ACM 41: pp. 73-80 CrossRef
- Lucking-Reiley, D., Bryan, D., Prasad, N., & Reeves, D. (2000). Pennies from eBay: The determinants of price in online auctions. Mimeo, Vanderbilt University, Working Paper No. 00-W03.
- Mathews, T., Katzman, B. (2006) The role of varying risk attitudes in an auction with a buyout option. Economic Theory 27: pp. 597-613 CrossRef
- McDonald, C. G., Slawson, V. C. (2002) Reputation in an internet auction market. Economic Inquiry 40: pp. 633-650 CrossRef
- Melnik, M., Alm, J. (2005) Seller reputation, information signals, and prices for heterogeneous coins on eBay. Southern Economic Journal 72: pp. 305-328 CrossRef
- Mishra, D. P., Heide, J. B., Cort, S. G. (1998) Information asymmetry and levels of agency relationships. Journal of Marketing Research 35: pp. 277-295 CrossRef
- Mullaney, T. (2004) The web 20: Bruised but still strong. Business Week 13: pp. 106
- Ottaway, T. A., Bruneau, C. L., Evans, G. E. (2003) The impact of auction item image and buyer/seller feedback rating on electronic auctions. Journal of Computer Information Systems 43: pp. 56-60
- Resnick, P., Zeckhauser, R. Trust among strangers in internet transactions: Empirical analysis of eBay’s reputation system. In: Baye, M. R. eds. (2002) The economics of internet and e-commerce, volume 11 of advances in applied microeconomics. Elsevier Science, Amsterdam, pp. 127-158
- Standifird, S. S. (2001) Reputation and e-commerce: eBay auctions and the asymmetrical impact of positive and negative ratings. Journal of Management 27: pp. 279-295 CrossRef
- Swan, J. E., Nolan, J. J. (1985) Gaining customer trust: A conceptual guide for the salesperson. Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management 5: pp. 39-48
- Walden, E. (2000) Some value propositions of online communities. Electronic Markets 10: pp. 244-249 CrossRef
- Walley, M. J. C., Fortin, D. R. (2005) Behavioral outcomes from online auctions: Reserve price, reserve disclosure, and initial bidding influences in the decision process. Journal of Business Research 58: pp. 1409-1418 CrossRef
- Weinberg, B. D., Davis, L. (2005) Exploring the WOW in online-auction feedback. Journal of Business Research 58: pp. 1609-1621 CrossRef
- Williamson, O. E. (1993) Calculativeness, trust, and economic organization. Journal of Law & Economics 36: pp. 453-486 CrossRef
- Willis, J. L. (2004) What impact will e-commerce have on the U.S. economy?. Economic Review 89: pp. 53-71
- Yin, P. L. (2003). Information dispersion and auction prices. Working paper, Harvard Business School, cited in Bajari and Hortacsu .
- The Determinants of Price in Internet Auctions of Used Cars
Atlantic Economic Journal
Volume 35, Issue 1 , pp 43-57
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- car auctions
- internet auctions
- pricing factors
- Industry Sectors