Outage Probability Analysis of Selection and Switch-and-Stay Combining Diversity Receivers Over the α−μ Fading Channel with Co-Channel Interference
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper, we evaluate the performance of two dual-branch diversity techniques operating over the α−μ fading channel in presence of a dominant co-channel interferer with a minimum desired signal power constraint. These two diversity schemes are selection combining and switch-and-stay combining. We derive expressions for the outage probability in both cases, which are very simple to calculate numerically using the commercially available mathematical packages. The obtained expressions are valid for integer values of the parameter μ and, in many special cases, they reduce to either a closed form or to expressions with finite-limit integrals that can also be easily evaluated. Also, our expressions reduce to previously published well-known results for the Rayleigh as well as the Weibull fading channels as special cases. We present a set of numerical results which show the effect of fading severity of both the desired signal and the interferer on the performance.
- Simon M. K., Alouini M. S. (2005) Digital communication over fading channels. Wiley, Hoboken, NJ
- Yang H., Alouini M. S. (2003) Outage probability of dual-branch diversity systems in presence of co-channel interference. IEEE Transaction on Wireless Communications 2(2): 310–319 CrossRef
- Ismail, M. H., & Matalgah, M. M. (2006). Performance of dual selection and switch-and-stay combining diversity receivers over Weibull fading with co-channel interference. In Proceedings of IEEE GLOBECOM 2006 (pp. 1–5), San Francisco, CA.
- Yacoub M. D. (2007) The α−μ distribution: A physical fading model for the Stacy distribution. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 56(1): 27–34 CrossRef
- Magableh A.M., Matalgah M.M. (2009) Moment generating function of the generalized α−μ distribution. IEEE Communications Letters 13(6): 411–413 CrossRef
- Magableh, A. M., & Matalgah, M. M. (2011). Channel characteristics of the generalized α−μ multipath fading model. International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference (IWCMC 2011) (pp. 4–8), Istanbul.
- Papazafeiropoulos, A. K., & Kotsopoulos, S. A. (2009). The α−μ joint envelope-phase fading distribution. In Proceedings of IEEE 20th international symposium on personal, indoor and mobile radio communications (PIMRC 2009) (pp. 919–922), Tokyo.
- Mohamed, R., Ismail, M. H., Newagy, F. A., & Mourad, H. A. M. (2012). Capacity of the α−μ fading channel with SC diversity under adaptive transmission techniques. In Proceedings of the 19th international conference on telecommunications (ICT) (pp. 1–6), Jounieh.
- Anastasov J.A., Panic S.R., Djordjevic G.T., Stefanovic M.C. (2012) Performance of dual branch SSC receiver in correlated α−μ fading channels. Wireless Personal Communications 63(4): 937–945 CrossRef
- Ismail, M. H., & Matalgah, M. M. Performance of selection combining diversity in Weibull fading with cochannel interference. EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, 2007. Article ID 60408.
- El Ayadi, M. M. H., & Ismail, M. H. (2012). On the cumulative distribution function of the sum and harmonic mean of two α−μ random variables with applications. Accepted for publication and to appear in IET Communication.
- Sowerby, K. W., & Williamson, A. G. (1988). Outage probability calculation for multiple co-channel interference in cellular mobile radio system. In IEE Proceedings (Vol. 135, no. 3).
- Abu-Dayya A. A., Beaulieu N. C. (1994) Analysis of switched diversity systems on generalized fading channels. IEEE Transaction on Communication 42(11): 2959–2966 CrossRef
- Adamchik, V. S., & Marichev, O. I. (1990). The algorithm for calculating integrals of hypergeometric type functions and its realization in REDUCE system. In Proceedings of international conference on symbolic and algebraic computation (pp. 212–224), Tokyo.
- Luke Y. L. (1969) The special functions and their approximations. (Vol. 1). Academic Press, New York
- Gradshteyn I. S., Ryzhik I. M. (2000) Table of integrals, series and products. Academic Press, San Diego
- Outage Probability Analysis of Selection and Switch-and-Stay Combining Diversity Receivers Over the α−μ Fading Channel with Co-Channel Interference
Wireless Personal Communications
Volume 71, Issue 3 , pp 2181-2195
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Diversity receivers
- α−μ fading
- Co-channel interference
- Selection combining
- Switch-and-stay combining
- Industry Sectors