Performance Analysis of WiMAX Networks AC
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In WiMAX networks, contention based bandwidth requests are allowed in the uplink channel on the time division duplexing frame. The standard allows some types of traffic classes to use this period while preventing others like Unsolicited Grant Service. In this study, we provide a performance analysis of the three types of connections (ertPS, non-real time Polling Service and Best Effort) that are allowed to contend for bandwidth request opportunities. The choice of these traffic classes covers both real and non-real traffic types. Two quality of service parameters; contention probability and average connection delay are investigated in order to evaluate the network performances. Different levels of priority and blocking probability are assigned to each class of service. This performance analysis has been done using an analytical model for evaluating admission control for the previous mentioned classes in WiMAX network.
- IEEE Standard 802.16-2004. (2004). IEEE standard for local metropolitan area networks, part16: Air interface for fixed broadband wireless access systems, June 2004.
- IEEE Standard 802.16e. (2006). IEEE standard for local and metropolitan area networks Part 16: Air interface for fixed and mobile broadband wireless access systems amendment 2: Physical and medium access control layers for combined fixed and mobile operation in licensed bands, February 2006.
- Chang, B.-J., Chen, Y.-L. (2008) Adaptive hierarchical polling and Markov decision process based CAC for increasing network reward and reducing average delay in IEEE 802.16 WiMAX networks. Computer Communications 31: pp. 2280-2292 CrossRef
- Ke, C. H., & Deng D. J. (2009). On adaptive contention resolution schemes for IEEE 802.16 BWA systems. EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking. doi:10.1155/2009/205057.
- Wang, H., Li, W., & Agrawal, D. P. (2005). Dynamic admission control and QoS for 802.16 Wireless MAN. In IEEE wireless telecommunications symposium, April 2005, pp. 60–66.
- Sanabani, M., Shamala, S., Othman, M., & Desa, J. (2006). Adaptive call admission control for prioritized adaptive services in wireless/mobile multimedia cellular networks. Selangor, Malaysia: Department of Communication Technology and Networks, Faculty of Computer Science and Information Technology, University Putra Malaysia (UPM).
- Shúaibu, D. S., Syed Yusof, S. K., Fisal, N., Ariffin, S. H. S., Rashid, R. A., & Baguda, Y. S. (2010). Call admission control in mobile WiMAX IEEE802.16e with dual partitioning. In 2010 International conference on intelligent network and computing (ICINC 2010), Kuala Lampur, Malaysia, Vol. 2, pp. 21, 24.
- Rong, B., Qian, Y., Lu, K., Chen, H.H., Guizani, M. (2008) Call admission control optimization in WiMAX networks. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 57: pp. 2509-2522 CrossRef
- Luo, S., Zhishu Li, C., Hu, J., Liu, T., & Cai, B. (2009). A policy-based CAC scheme for fixed WiMAX system. In International conference on communication software and networks, ICCSN ’09, pp. 376–379.
- Ghazal, S., Ben Othman, J., Zhang, Y., & Chen, H. (2007). IEEE 802.16-based wirelessMAN. In Y. Zhang & H. Chen (Eds.), Wireless metropolitan area networks: WiMAX and beyond. USA: Auerbach Publications, CRC press.
- Wongthavarawat, K., & Ganz A. (2003). Packet scheduling for QoS support in IEEE 802.16 broadband wirelessaccess systems. International Journal of Communication System16(1), 81–96.
- Hawa, M., & Petr, D. W. (2002). Quality of service scheduling in cable and broadband wireless access systems. In Tenth international workshop on quality of service, IEEE, Washington, DC, p. 247.
- Doha, A., Hossam, S., Hassanein, H., & Takahara, G. (2006). Performance evaluation of reservation medium access control in IEEE 802.16 networks. In AICCSA http://doi.ieeecomputersociety.org/10.1109/AICCSA.2006.205116.
- Yan, J., & Kuo, G.-S. (2006). Cross-layer design of optimal contention period for IEEE 802.16 BWA systems. In Proceedings of ICC 2006, Istanbul, Turkey, June 2006, pp. 1807–1812.
- Lin, L., Han, B., & Jia, W. (2006). Modeling and performance analysis of initial connection in IEEE 802.16 PMP Networks. In IEEE international conference, July 2006.
- He, J., Guild, J., Yang, K., & Chen, H. (2007). Modeling contention based bandwidth request scheme for IEEE 802.16 networks. IEEE Communications Letters, 11(8), 689–700.
- Scilab home page: http://www.scilab.org, INRIA, France, 2002.
- Performance Analysis of WiMAX Networks AC
Wireless Personal Communications
Volume 74, Issue 1 , pp 133-146
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- IEEE 802.16
- Admission control (AC)
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of Paris 13, 99 avenue J. B. Clment, 93430, Villetaneuse, France
- 2. University of Paris 12, Laboratoire LACL, 61 avenue du gnral de Gaulle, 94010, Creteil, France
- 3. University of Versailles, 45 avenue des etats-unis, 78000, Versailles, France