Adaptive Bit Loading and Puncturing Using Long Single Codewords in OFDM Systems
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Adaptive puncturing over single codewords offers a new dimension in the family of adaptive coding and modulation techniques for communication systems. In the context of orthogonal frequency-division multiplexing systems, adaptive puncturing provides variable transmission rates across tiles within a single code-word (SCW). This contrasts with the more common multiple code-words (MCWs) structure, where variable rates are obtained using multiple codewords each is uniformly punctured. In this paper, an adaptive puncturing, interleaving, and bit loading schemes are proposed and an extensive performance evaluation is provided for both convolutional and turbo codes. The adaptively punctured SCW structure is compared to the MCWs, as well as to the per-frame adaptation. The comparisons are made using various adaptive loading methods for both constant and variable bit rate wireless applications. The SCW structure provides significantly improved goodput compared to the other two schemes, particularly for turbo-coded transmission. An analytical approximation for the goodput is obtained for both the SCW and the MCWs structures in the case of convolutional codes. The tile size effect is also investigated and it is shown that the SCW offers flexibility over the MCWs structure, since the tile size does not impose any restriction on the codeword length.
- Goldsmith, A. J., Chua, S.-G (1997) Variable-rate variable-power MQAM for fading channels. IEEE Transactions on Communications 45: pp. 1218-1230 CrossRef
- Goldsmith, A. J., Chua, S.-G. (1998) Adaptive coded modulation for fading channels. IEEE Transactions on Communications 46: pp. 595-602 CrossRef
- Vishwanath, S., Goldsmith, A. (2003) Adaptive turbo-coded modulation for flat-fading channels. IEEE Transactions on Communications 51: pp. 964-972 CrossRef
- Lau, V. K. N. (2002) Performance analysis of variable rate: Symbol-by-symbol adaptive bit interleaved coded modulation for Rayleigh fading channels. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 51: pp. 537-550 CrossRef
- Shin, C., Kim, H., Kim, K., Park, H. (2011) High-throughput low-complexity link adaptation for MIMO BIC-OFDM systems. IEEE Transactions on Communications 59: pp. 1078-1088 CrossRef
- Li, Y., Ryan, W. (2007) Mutual-information-based adaptive bit-loading algorithms for LDPC-coded OFDM. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications 6: pp. 1670-1680 CrossRef
- Keller, T., Hanzo, L. (2000) Adaptive modulation techniques for duplex OFDM transmission. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 49: pp. 1893-1906 CrossRef
- Svensson, T., Falahati, S., & Sternad, M. (2006). Coding and resource scheduling in packet oriented adaptive TDMA/OFDMA systems. In IEEE 63rd vehicular technology conference, VTC 2006 (pp. 1600–1604), 7–10 May 2006.
- Stiglmayr, S., Bossert, M., & Costa, E. (2007). Adaptive coding and modulation in OFDM systems using BICM and rate-compatible punctured codes. In European Wireless Paris, 1–4 April 2007.
- She, X., Zhou, S., Xu, X., & Yao, Y. (2003). Power and bit allocation for adaptive turbo coded modulation in OFDM systems. IEEE global telecommunications conference 2003 (GLOBECOM ’03), (Vol. 2, pp. 2903–907). doi:10.1109/GLOCOM.2003.1258370.
- Lei, Y., & Burr, A. (2007) Adaptive modulation and code rate for turbo coded OFDM transmissions. In IEEE 65th vehicular technology conference (pp. 2702–2706), 22–25 April 2007.
- Abdelhakim, M., Nafie, M., Shalash, A., & Elezabi, A. Y. (2009). Adaptive puncturing for coded OFDMA systems. In IEEE international conference on communications, ICC ’09 (pp. 1–5), 14–18 June 2009.
- Abdelhakim, M., Nafie, M., Shalash, A., & Elezabi, A. Y. (2009). Adaptive puncturing and rate selection in single-codeword turbo-coded OFDMA. In IEEE mobile WiMAX symposium MWS ’09 (pp. 174–179), 9–10 July 2009.
- IEEE standard for local and metropolitan area network. (2004). Part 16: Air interface for fixed broadband wireless access systems, IEEE std. 802.16e.
- Michael, F. (2010). Viterbi decoder block decoding-trellis termination and tail biting, Xilinx, 30 July 2010.
- Marandian, M., Fridman, J., Zvonar, Z., Salehi, M. (2002) Performance analysis of sliding window turbo decoding algorithms for 3GPP FDD mode. International Journal of Wireless Information Networks 9: pp. 39-54 CrossRef
- Lei, W., Shiauhe, T., & Almgren, M. (2006) A fading-insensitive performance metric for a unified link quality model. In IEEE wireless communications and networking conference WCNC 2006 (Vol. 4, pp. 2110–2114), 3–6 April 2006.
- IEEE 802.16 Broadband Wireless Access Working Group. (2008). IEEE 802.16m evaluation methodology document (EMD), March 2008.
- Simoens, S., Rouquette-Léveil, S., Sartori, P., Blankenship, Y., & Classon, B. (2004). Error prediction for adaptive modulation and coding in multiple-antenna OFDM systems. IEEE doc., No. 802.11-03/940r4, May 2004.
- Lee, C., Lee, L. H. (1997) Convolutional coding: Fundamentals and applications. Artech House Publishers, Boston
- Lin, S., Castello, D. (2004) Error control coding: Fundamentals and applications. Pearson-Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs
- Song, K., Ekbal, A., Chung, S. T, Cioffi, J. M. (2006) Adaptive modulation and coding (AMC) for bit-interleaved coded OFDM (BIC-OFDM). IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications 5: pp. 1685-1694 CrossRef
- Kim, M.-G. (1997) On systematic punctured convolutional codes. IEEE Transactions on Communications 45: pp. 133-139 CrossRef
- Peng, F., Zhang, J., & Ryan, W. E. (2007). Adaptive modulation and coding for IEEE 802.11n. IEEE wireless communications and networking conference, WCNC 2007 (pp. 656–661), 11–15 March 2007.
- Borjesson, P., Sundberg, C.-E. (1979) Simple approximations of the error function Q(x) for communications applications. IEEE Transactions on Communications 27: pp. 639-643 CrossRef
- Shin, C., & Park, H. (2010). A closed-form expression of instantaneous bit error rate for BIC-OFDM systems. In IEEE international conference on communications (ICC 2010) (pp. 1–5), 23–27 May 2010.
- Rollet, R., & Mangin, C. (2003). IEEE 802.11a, 802.11e and HiperLAN/2 goodput performance comparison in real radio conditions. In IEEE global telecommunications conference, 2003. GLOBECOM ’03 (Vol. 2, pp. 724–728), Dec 2003.
- IEEE 802.16 Broadband Wireless Access Working Group. (2008). The draft IEEE 802.16m system description document, June 2008.
- Adaptive Bit Loading and Puncturing Using Long Single Codewords in OFDM Systems
Wireless Personal Communications
Volume 71, Issue 2 , pp 1557-1576
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Adaptive puncturing
- Adaptive modulation and coding (AMC)
- Single codeword (SCW)
- Multiple codewords (MCWs)
- Mutual information effective SNR mapping (MIESM)
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Center for Wireless Studies, Faculty of Engineering, Cairo University, Giza, Egypt
- 4. Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, USA
- 2. Electronics and Communications Department, Faculty of Engineering, Cairo University, Giza, Egypt
- 3. Electronics Engineering Department, American University in Cairo, Cairo, Egypt