A Throughput Model of IEEE 802.11aa Intra-Access Category Prioritization
- Katarzyna Kosek-Szott
- … show all 1 hide
In this paper the first saturation throughput model of an IEEE 802.11 network is presented, which includes the intra-access category prioritization introduced in the recently approved IEEE 802.11aa standard. This new feature was proposed to support finer grained prioritization of audio video streams in comparison to the existing Enhanced Distributed Channel Access (EDCA) function. The presented model implements different transmission probabilities for the primary and alternate voice and video queues. Additionally, it includes such features as virtual collision handling, backoff differentiation, and Arbitration Inter-Frame Space differentiation. The presented results show the difference in the operation of IEEE 802.11aa intra-access category prioritization and EDCA inter-access category prioritization. They also allow to derive several novel conclusions.
- IEEE Std 802.11-2012 (2012). IEEE Standard for Information technology—telecommunications and information exchange between systems—local and metropolitan area networks—specific requirements—part 11: Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications, March (2012).
- IEEE 802.11aa (2012). IEEE standard for local and metropolitan area networks—specific requirements—part 11: Wireless LAN medium access control (MAC) and physical layer (PHY) specifications—amendment 2: MAC enhancements for Robust 12 Audio Video Streaming, May (2012).
- IEEE Std 802.1Qav-2009 (2010). IEEE standard for local and metropolitan area networks—Virtual bridged local area networks. Amendment 12: Forwarding and queuing enhancements for time-sensitive streams, January (2010).
- Gas M., Kosek-Szott K., Natkaniec M., Pach A. R. (2011) 3D Markov chain-based saturation throughput model of IEEE 802.11 EDCA. Electronics Letters 47(14): 826–827 CrossRef
- Mathematica 8.0 [Online] http://www.wolfram.com.
- The Network Simulator ns-2. [Online] http://isi.edu/nsnam/ns.
- A Throughput Model of IEEE 802.11aa Intra-Access Category Prioritization
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Wireless Personal Communications
Volume 71, Issue 2 , pp 1075-1083
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Intra-access category prioritization
- IEEE 802.11aa
- Audio video streaming
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Faculty of Computer Science, Electronics and Telecomunications, AGH University of Science and Technology, Al. Mickiewicza 30, 30-059, Krakow, Poland