Analysis of Heuristic Graph Partitioning Methods for the Assignment of Packet Control Units in GERAN
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Over the last few years, graph partitioning has been recognized as a suitable technique for optimizing cellular network structure. For example, in a recent paper, the authors proposed a classical graph partitioning algorithm to optimize the assignment of cells to Packet Control Units (PCUs) in GSM-EDGE Radio Access Network. Based on this approach, the quality of packet data services in a live environment was increased by reducing the number of cell re-selections between different PCUs. To learn more about the potential of graph partitioning in cellular networks, in this paper, a more sophisticated, yet computationally efficient, partitioning algorithm is proposed for the same problem. The new method combines multi-level refinement and adaptive multi-start techniques with algorithms to ensure the connectivity between cells under the same PCU. Performance assessment is based on an extensive set of graphs constructed with data taken from a live network. During the tests, the new method is compared with classical graph partitioning approaches. Results show that the proposed method outperforms classical approaches in terms of solution quality at the expense of a slight increase in computing time, while providing solutions that are easier to check by the network operator.
- Lempiainen J., Manninen M. (2001) Radio interface system planning for GSM/GPRS/UMTS. Kluwer, Dordrecht
- Laiho J., Wacker A., Novosad T. (2002) Radio network planning and optimisation for UMTS. Wiley, West Sussex
- Mishra A. R. (2004) Fundamental of cellular network planning and optimisation. Wiley, West Sussex CrossRef
- Halonen T., Melero J., Romero J. (2002) GSM, GPRS and EDGE performance: Evolution toward 3G/UMTS. Wiley, Chichester
- Toril M., Wille V., Barco R. (2006) Optimization of the assignment of cells to packet control units in GERAN. IEEE Communications Letters 10(3): 219–221 CrossRef
- Schloegel K., Karypis G., Kumar V. (2000) Graph partitioning for high performance scientific simulations. In: Dongarra J., Foster I., Fox G., Kennedy K., White A. (eds) CRPC parallel computing handbook. Morgan Kaufmann, Los Altos
- Miller, G. L., Teng, S.-H., Thurston, W., & Vavasis, S. A. (1993). Automatic mesh partitioning. In A. George, J. R. Gilbert, & J. Liu (Eds.), Sparse matrix computations: Graph theory issues and algorithms (An IMA Workshop Volume). Springer.
- Kernighan B. W., Lin S. (1970) An efficient heuristic procedure for partitioning graphs. Bell System Technical Journal 49: 291–307
- Pothen A., Simon H. D., Liou K.-P. (1990) Partitioning sparse matrices with eigenvectors of graphs. SIAM Journal on Matrix Analysis and Applications 11(3): 430–452 CrossRef
- Hendrickson, B., & Leland, R. (1995). A multilevel algorithm for partitioning graphs. In Proceedings of 1995 ACM/IEEE Conference on Supercomputing. ACM Press.
- Karypis G., Kumar V. (1998) Multilevel k-way partitioning scheme for irregular graphs. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing 48(1): 96–129 CrossRef
- Walshaw C., Cross M. (2000) Mesh partitioning: A multilevel balancing and refinement algorithm. SIAM Journal of Scientific Computing 22(1): 63–80 CrossRef
- Merchant A., Sengupta B. (1995) Assignment of cells to switches in PCS networks. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking 3(5): 521–526 CrossRef
- Saha D., Mukherjee A., Bhattacharjee P. S. (2000) A simple heuristic for assignment of cells to switches in a PCS network. Wireless Personal Communications 12: 209–224 CrossRef
- Pierre S., Houeto F. (2002) A tabu-search approach for assigning cells to switches in cellular mobile networks. Computer Communications 25(5): 465–478 CrossRef
- Demirkol I., Ersoy C., Caglayan M. U., Delic H. (2004) Location area planning and cell-to-switch assignment in cellular networks. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications 3(3): 880–890 CrossRef
- Plehn, J. (1995). The design of location areas in a GSM-network. In Proceedings of 45th IEEE vehicular technology conference (pp. 871–875).
- Gondim, P. (1996). Genetic algorithms and location area partitioning problem in cellular networks. In Proceedings of 46th IEEE vehicular technology conference (pp. 1835–1838).
- Bhattacharjee P. S., Saha D., Mukherjee A. (2004) An approach for location area planning in~a personal communication services network (PCSN). IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications 3(4): 1176–1187 CrossRef
- Hagen L., Kahng A. (1997) Combining problem reduction and adaptive multi-start: A new technique for superior iterative partitioning. IEEE Transactions On Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems 16(7): 709–717 CrossRef
- 3GPP TS 05.08, Digital cellular telecommunications system (Phase 2); Radio subsystem link control (2000, November).
- 3GPP TS 43.129, Packet Switched Handover for GERAN A/Gb Mode; Stage 2 (2004, May).
- Krishnan, R., Ramanathan, R., & Steentrup, M. (1999). Optimization algorithms for large self-structuring networks. In Proceedings of INFOCOM ’99 (Vol.~1, pp. 71–78).
- Garey M., Johnson D. (1979) Computers and intractability: A guide to NP-completeness. W.H. Freeman and Company, California
- Goldschmidt O., Hochbaum D. S. (1994) A polynomial algorithm for the k-cut problem for fixed k. Mathematics of Operations Research 19(1): 24–37 CrossRef
- Gupta A. (1997) Fast and effective algorithms for graph partitioning and sparse matrix ordering. IBM Journal of Research and Development 41(1/2): 171–184 CrossRef
- Cormen T. H., Stein C., Rivest R. L., Leiserson C. E. (2001) Introduction to algorithms. McGraw-Hill Higher Education, New York
- Karypis G., Kumar V. (1998) A fast and high quality multilevel scheme for partitioning irregular graphs. SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing 20(1): 359–392 CrossRef
- Ramanathan R., Steenstrup M. (1998) Hierarchically-organized, multi-hop mobile wireless networks for quality-of-service support. Mobile Networks and Applications 3(2): 101–119 CrossRef
- Boese K. D., Khang A., Muddu S. (1994) A new adaptive multi-start technique for combinatorial global optimizations. Operation Research Letters 16: 101–113 CrossRef
- Bui T. N., Moon B. R. (1996) Genetic algorithm and graph partitioning. IEEE Transactions on Computers 45(7): 841–855 CrossRef
- Korosec P., Silc J., Robic B. (2004) Solving the mesh-partitioning problem with an ant-colony algorithm. Journal of Parallel Computing 30(5–6): 785–801 CrossRef
- Fiduccia, C., Mattheyses, R. (1982). A linear time heuristic for improving network partitions. In Proceedings of 19th ACM/IEEE design automation conference (pp. 175–181).
- Walshaw C. (2004) Multilevel refinement for combinatorial optimisation problems. Annals of Operations Research 131: 325–372 CrossRef
- Toril M., Wille V. (2008) Optimization of the assignment of base stations to base station controllers in GERAN. IEEE Communications Letters 12(6): 477–479 CrossRef
- Analysis of Heuristic Graph Partitioning Methods for the Assignment of Packet Control Units in GERAN
Wireless Personal Communications
Volume 60, Issue 4 , pp 611-633
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Graph partitioning
- Packet control unit
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Communications Engineering Department, University of Málaga, Málaga, Spain
- 2. Performance Services, Nokia Siemens Networks, Huntingdon, UK
- 3. School of Computing and Mathematical Sciences, University of Greenwich, London, UK