An Optimum Vertical Handoff Decision Algorithm Based on Adaptive Fuzzy Logic and Genetic Algorithm
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Handoff decision making is one of the most important topics in wireless heterogeneous networks architecture as there are many parameters which have to be considered when triggering handoff and selecting suitable access point. More intelligent approaches which reckon user profiles, application requirements, and network conditions must be improved so that desired performance results for both user and network could be provided. In this paper we introduce a new adaptive vertical handoff decision making algorithm in which fuzzy membership functions are optimized by means of genetic algorithm. Genetic algorithm is an adaptive search technique based on natural selection and genetic rules. In addition to that, it takes places in various scientific applications and can be used to adjust the membership functions in fuzzy systems. The purpose of the study is to adjust the shape of fuzzy membership functions, properly, using genetic algorithm in order to achieve optimum handoff performance. The results show that, compared to the several different algorithms performance of the proposed approach with genetic algorithm is significantly improved for both user and network in terms of number of handoff while the other requirements are still satisfied.
- Nasser, N., Guizani, S., & Al-Masri, E. (2007). Middleware vertical Handoff manager: A neural network-based solution. In IEEE international conference on communications (ICC) (pp. 5671–5676). Glasgow, Scotland, UK.
- Ohta, K., Yoshikawa, T., Nakagawa, T., Isoda, Y., Kurakake, S., & Sugimura, T. (2002). Seamless service Handoff for ubiquitous mobile multimedia. In IEEE Pacific Rim conference on multimedia (pp. 9–16).
- Hasswa, A., Nasser, N., & Hassanein, H. (2005). Generic vertical handoff decision function for heterogeneous wireless. In Proceedings of the second IFIP international conference on wireless and optical communications networks (WOCN 2005) (pp. 239–243).
- Onel T., Ersoy C., Cayirci E., Par G. (2004) A multicriteria Handoff decision schema for the next generation tactical communications systems. The International Journal of Computer and Telecommunications Networking 46(5): 695–708
- Ling, Y., Yi, B., & Zhu, Q. (2008). An improved vertical Handoff decision algorithm for heterogeneous wireless networks. In Wireless communications, networking and mobile computing, WiCOM ‘08 (pp. 1–3).
- Guo, Q., Zhu, J., & Xu, X. (2005). An adaptive multi-criteria vertical Handoff decision algorithm for radio heterogeneous network, ICC 2005, IEEE international conference (pp. 2769–2773).
- Stoyanova, M., & Mahonen, P. (2007). Algorithmic approaches for vertical Handoff in heterogeneous wireless environment. In Wireless communications and networking conference WCNC 2007 (pp. 3780–3785).
- Nkansah-Gyekye, Y., & Agbinya, J. I. (2008). A vertical Handoff decision algorithm for next generation wireless networks. In Third international conference on broadband communications, information technology & biomedical applications (pp. 358–364).
- Alkhawlani M., Ayesh A. (2008) Access network selection based on fuzzy logic and genetic algorithms. Advances in Artificial Intelligence 8(1): 1–12 CrossRef
- Singhrova, A., & Prakash, N. (2009). Adaptive vertical Handoff decision algorithm for wireless heterogeneous networks. In 11th IEEE international conference on high performance computing and communications (pp. 476–481).
- Kwong, C. F., Lee, S. W., & Sim, M. L. (2008). Mobility management incorporating pattern recognition in the Handoff decision. In International conference on advanced computer control (pp. 737–741).
- Wang X. L. (1994) Adaptive fuzzy systems and control. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs
- Ceken, C., & Arslan, H. (2009). An adaptive fuzzy logic based vertical Handoff decision algorithm for wireless heterogeneous networks. In Wireless and microwave technology (WAMI) conference (WAMICON 2009) (pp. 1–9).
- Goldberg D. E. (1989) Genetic algorithms in search, optimization, and machine learning. Addison-Wesley, Reading
- Sridevi, A., & Sumathi, V. (2009). Improved fault tolerant model for channel allocation in wireless communication. In IEEE INCACEC’09 (pp. 1–6).
- Kaya M., Alhajj R. (2006) Utilizing genetic algorithms to optimize membership functions for fuzzy weighted association rules mining. Applied Intelligence 24(1): 7–15 CrossRef
- Dorleus, J., Holweck, R., Ren, Z., Li, H., Cui, H.-L., & Medina, J. (2007). Modeling and simulation of fading and pathloss in opnet for range communications. In Proceedings of the IEEE radio and wireless symposium(pp. 407–410). Long Beach, California, USA.
- Tawil, R., Salazar, O., & Pujolle, G. (2008). Vertical Handoff decision scheme using MADM for wireless networks. In Wireless communications and networking conference IEEE (WCNC 2008) (pp. 2789–2792).
- Calhan, A., & Ceken, C. (2010). An adaptive neuro-fuzzy based vertical Handoff decision algorithm for wireless heterogeneous networks. In The 21th personal, indoor and mobile radio conference. Istanbul, Turkey.
- An Optimum Vertical Handoff Decision Algorithm Based on Adaptive Fuzzy Logic and Genetic Algorithm
Wireless Personal Communications
Volume 64, Issue 4 , pp 647-664
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Vertical Handoff
- Cognitive radio
- Heterogeneous networks
- Genetic algorithms
- Fuzzy logic
- Industry Sectors