Robust Deniable Authentication Protocol
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Deniable authentication protocol is a new technique of modern cryptography. The protocol not only enables an intended receiver to identify the source of a received message, but also prevents a third party from identifying the source of the message. Recently, Shao et al. pointed out that Wang et al.’s deniable authentication protocol based on ElGamal cryptosystem is insecure to a person-in-the-middle attack; that is, in the whole process, the receiver cannot be aware of the existence of this adversary as well as the modification of the messages. Furthermore, they also presented a modification of Wang et al.’s protocol to overcome the security flaw. However, this paper demonstrates that Shao et al.’s improved protocol is still susceptible to a malicious receiver’s impersonation attack. To mitigate this security breach, we propose a robust deniable authentication protocol based on ElGamal cryptography.
- Dwork, C., Naor, M., & Sahai, A. (1998). Concurrent zero-knowledge. In Proceedings of the 30th ACM STOC’98, Dallas, TX, USA, 409–418.
- Aumann, Y., & Rabin, M. (1998). Efficient deniable authentication of long messages. In International Conference on Theoretical Computer Science in Honor of Professor Manuel Blum’s 60th birthday.
- Deng X., Lee C. H., Zhu H. (2001) Deniable authentication protocols. IEE Proceedings Computers and Digital Techniques 148(2): 101–104 CrossRef
- Fan L., Xu C. X., Li J. H. (2002) Deniable authentication protocol based on Diffie-Hellman algorithm. Electronics letters 38(14): 705–706 CrossRef
- Hsieh B. T., Sun H. M. (2004) An improvement of a deniable authentication protocol. IEICE Transactions On Communications E87-B(10): 3099–3101
- Shao Z. (2004) Efficient deniable authentication protocol based on generalized ElGamal signature scheme. Computer Standards & Interfaces 26: 449–454 CrossRef
- Lu R., Cao Z. (2005) Non-interactive deniable authentication protocol based on factoring. Computer Standards & Interfaces 27: 401–405 CrossRef
- Yoon E. J., Yoo K. Y. (2005) Improvement of Fan et al.’s deniable authentication protocol based on Diffie-Hellman algorithm. Applied Mathematics and Computation 167: 274–280 CrossRef
- Lu R., Cao Z. (2005) A new deniable authentication protocol from bilinear pairings. Applied Mathematics and Computation 168: 954–961 CrossRef
- Wang Y., Li J., Tie L. (2005) A simple protocol for deniable authentication based on ElGamal cryptography. Networks 45: 193–194 CrossRef
- Shao J., Cao Z., Lu R. (2006) An improved deniable authentication protocol. Networks 48: 179–181 CrossRef
- Yoon, E. J., & Yoo, K. Y. (2006). Security analysis of Hsieh-Sun’s deniable authentication protocol. In 2006 International Conference on Hybrid Information Technology (ICHIT’06) (Vol. 2, pp. 45–48).
- Lu R., Cao Z., Wang S., Bao H. (2007) A new ID-based deniable authentication protocol. Informatica 18: 67–78
- Yoon, E. J., & Yoo, K. Y. (2008). Secure deniable authentication protocol based on ElGamal cryptography, In 2008 International Conference on Information Security and Assurance (ISA’08) (pp. 36–39).
- Lu R., Lin X., Cao Z., Qin L., Liang X. (2008) A simple deniable authentication protocol based on the Diffie-Hellman algorithm. International Journal of Computer Mathematics 85(9): 1315–1323 CrossRef
- Diffie W., Hellman M. E. (1976) New directions in cryptography. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory 10(6): 644–654 CrossRef
- ElGamal T. (1985) A public-key cryptosystem and a signature scheme based on discrete logarithms. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory 31: 469–472 CrossRef
- Menezes A. J., Oorschot P. C., Vanstone S. A. (1997) Handbook of applied cryptograph. CRC Press, New York
- Robust Deniable Authentication Protocol
Wireless Personal Communications
Volume 55, Issue 1 , pp 81-90
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Deniable authentication
- ElGamal cryptography
- Electronic voting system
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Kyungpook National University, 1370 Sankyuk-Dong, Buk-Gu, Daegu, 702-701, South Korea
- 2. Department of Computer Engineering, Kyungpook National University, 1370 Sankyuk-Dong, Buk-Gu, Daegu, 702-701, South Korea
- 3. Division of Computer Engineering, Mokwon University, Taejon, South Korea
- 4. School of Computer Engineering, Hanshin University, 411 Yangsan-Dong, Osan, South Korea