AdHoc Probe: end-to-end capacity probing in wireless ad hoc networks
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Knowledge of end-to-end path capacity is useful for video/audio stream adaptation, network management and overlay design. Capacity estimation in wired and last-hop wireless networks has been extensively investigated, but a thorough and systematic study in ad hoc, multihop wireless networks is still lacking. Yet the rate of a wireless link can change dynamically (and rapidly) due to changes in interference, distance or energy optimization policy. Timely knowledge of path capacity is key to efficient routing, traffic management and application deployment. In this paper, we present AdHoc Probe, a packet-pair based technique, to estimate end-to-end path capacity in ad hoc wireless networks. We apply AdHoc Probe to path capacity estimation in auto rate wireless networks with variable displacement and interference; and, in remote wireless networks across the Internet. Using analysis, simulation and testbed experiments, we show AdHoc Probe can withstand mobility and is able to trace the rate adaptation of wireless networks timely and correctly. AdHoc Probe is simpler, faster and much less intrusive than current schemes.
- Network simulator (ns-2). http://www.mash.cs.berkeley.edu/ns/
- Oar. http://ww.ece.rice.edu/networks/software/OAR/OAR.html
- Balk, A., Gerla, M., Sanadidi, M., & Maggiorini, D. (2004). Adaptive video streaming: Pre-encoded mpeg-4 with bandwidth scaling. Elsevier Computer Networks, 44, 415–439. CrossRef
- Belding-Royer, E. M., & Perkins, C. E. (2003). Evolution and future directions of the ad hoc on-demand distance vector routing protocol. Ad Hoc Networks Journal, 1, 125–150. CrossRef
- Chen, L. -J., Yang, G., Sun, T., Sanadidi, M. Y., & Gerla, M. (2005). Enhancing qos support for vertical handoffs using implicit/explicit handoff notification. In ICST QShine.
- Dovrolis, C., Ramanathan, P., & Moore, D. (2001). What do packet dispersion techniques measure? In IEEE Infocom.
- Dyer, M. E. (1983). Linear algorithms for two- and three-variable linear programs. SIAM Journal on Computing, 13, 31–45. CrossRef
- Holland, G., Vaidya, N., & Bahl, P. (2001). A rate-adaptive mac protocol for multi-hop wireless networks. In ACM MobiCom.
- Jacobson, V. Pathchar: A tool to infer characteristics of internet paths. ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/pathchar/
- Ji, Z., Yang, Y., Zhou, J., Takai, M., & Bagrodia, R. (2004). Exploiting medium access diversity in rate adaptive wireless lans. In ACM MobiCom.
- Kamerman, A., & Monteban, L. (1997). Wavelan ii: A high-performance wireless lan for the unlicensed band. Bell Lab Technical Journal, Summer, 118–133.
- Kapoor, R., Chen, L. -J., Lao, L., Gerla, M., & Sanadidi, M. Y. (2004). Capprobe: A simple and accurate capacity estimation technique. In ACM SIGCOMM.
- Lacage, M., Manshaei, M. H., & Turletti, T. (2004). IEEE 802.11 rate adaptation: A practical approach. In ACM MSWiM.
- Lai, K., & Baker, M. (1999). Measuring bandwidth. In IEEE Infocom, pp. 235–245.
- Lakshminarayanan, K., Padmanabhan, V. N., & Padhye, J. (2004). Bandwidth estimation in broadband access networks. In IMC.
- Li, J., Blake, C., Couto, D., Lee, H. I., & Morris, R. (2001). Capacity of ad hoc wireless networks. In ACM MobiCom.
- Mills, D. L. (1992). Network time protocol specification, implementation and analysis. Technical report, IETF RFC 1305, March 1992.
- Moon, S. B., Skelly, P., & Towsley, D. (1999). Estimation and removal of clock skew from network delay measurements. In IEEE Infocom.
- Paxson, V. (1998). On calibrating measurements of packet transit times. In ACM SIGMETRICS.
- Punnoose, R. J., Nilutin, P. V., & Stancil, D. D. (2000). Efficient simulation of ricean fading within a packet simulator. In IEEE VTC-Fall.
- Qiao, D., Choi, S., Jain, A., & Shin, K. G. (2003). Miser: An optimal low-energy transmission strategy for IEEE 802.11a/h. In ACM MobiCom.
- Sadeghi, B., Kanodia, V., Sabharwal, A., & Knightly, E. (2002). Opportunistic media access for multirate ad hoc networks. In ACM MobiCom.
- Xu, K., Gerla, M., & Bae, S. (2002). How effective is the IEEE 802.11 rts/cts handshake in ad hoc networks? In IEEE Globecom.
- Xu, K., Hong, X., & Gerla, M. (2002). An ad hoc network with mobile backbones. In IEEE ICC.
- Zhang, L., Liu, Z., & Xia, C. H. (2002). Clock synchronization algorithms for network measurements. In IEEE Infocom.
- AdHoc Probe: end-to-end capacity probing in wireless ad hoc networks
Volume 15, Issue 1 , pp 111-126
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Ad hoc path capacity estimation
- Analytical/simulation and experimental validation
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Information Science, Academia Sinica, 128, Sec.02, Academia Road, Taipei, 11529, Taiwan
- 2. Department of Computer Science, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA