Energy efficient routing with delay guarantee for sensor networks
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The paper presents a routing algorithm that maximizes the lifetime of a sensor network in which all data packets are destined for a single collection node. Lifetime is maximized by adjusting the number of packets traversing each node. The adjustment is carried out by transmitting over alternative routes. The first part of the paper assumes that the worst case delay resulting from energy efficient routing is less than the maximum tolerable value. Ignoring the delay constraint of the network, the routes are selected as the solution to a linear programming (LP) problem in which the objective is to maximize the minimum lifetime of each node. The solution is implemented in a centralized algorithm, and then approximated by an iterative algorithm based on least cost path routing, in which each step is implemented efficiently in a distributed manner. The second part of the paper incorporates delay guarantee into energy efficient routing by constraining the length of the routing paths from each sensor node to the collection node. Simulations reveal that the lifetime of the network increases significantly by optimal routing, and including delay constraint in energy efficient routing improves the network performance since the delay of the network keeps increasing as the delay constraint is relaxed beyond the value at which the optimal lifetime is achieved.
- J. Polastre, R. Szewczyk, C. Sharp and D. Culler, The Mote Revolution: Low Power Wireless Sensor Network Devices, Hot Chips 16: A Symposium on High Performance Chips (Aug. 2004).
- S.C. Ergen and P. Varaiya PEDAMACS: Power Efficient and Delay Aware Medium Access Protocol for Sensor Networks, to appear in IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (2005).
- S. Coleri, PEDAMACS: Power Efficient and Delay Aware Medium Access Protocol for Sensor Networks, Master Thesis, University of California, Berkeley (Dec. 2002).
- E.M. Royer and C. Toh, A Review of Current Routing Protocols for Ad Hoc Mobile Wireless Networks, IEEE Personal Communications (April 1999) pp. 46–55.
- S. Singh, M. Woo and C. Raghavendra, Power-aware Routing in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks, MOBICOM (1998) pp. 181–190.
- J.H. Chang and L. Tassiulas, Maximum Lifetime Routing in Wireless Sensor Networks, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, Vol.12, issue. 4 (Aug. 2004).
- M. Bhardwaj and A.P. Chandrakasan, Bounding the Lifetime of Sensor Networks Via Optimal Role Assignments, IEEE INFOCOM (2002) pp. 1587–1596.
- F.J. Block and C.W. Baum, Energy-Efficient Self-Organizing Communication Protocols for Wireless Sensor Networks, IEEE MILCOM (2001).
- F.J. Block and C.W. Baum, An Energy-Efficient Routing Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks with Battery Level Uncertainty, IEEE MILCOM (2002).
- C.K. Toh, Maximum Battery Life Routing to Support Ubiquitous Mobile Computing in Wireless Ad hoc Networks, IEEE Communications Magazine (June 2001) pp. 138–147.
- E. Uysal-Biyikoglu, B. Prabhakar and A. El Gamal, Energy-Efficient Packet Transmission over a Wireless Link, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, Vol. 10, No. 4 (Aug. 2002).
- Swetha Narayanaswamy, Vikas Kawadia, R.S. Sreenivas and P.R. Kumar, Power Control in Ad-Hoc Networks: Theory, Architecture, Algorithm and Implementation of the COMPOW protocol, Proceedings of European Wireless 2002 (Feb. 2002) Italy.
- R. Cristescu, B. Beferull-Lozano and M. Vetterli, On Network Correlated Data Gathering, IEEE INFOCOM (2004).
- R.K. Ahuja, T.L. Magnanti and J.B. Orlin, Network Flows, Prentice Hall (1993).
- B. Krishnamachari, S.B. Wicker and B. Bejar, Phase Transition Phenomena in Wireless Ad-Hoc Networks, Symposium on Ad-Hoc Wireless Networks, GlobeCom 2001, San Antonio, Texas (Nov. 2001).
- Energy efficient routing with delay guarantee for sensor networks
Volume 13, Issue 5 , pp 679-690
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Sensor networks
- Energy efficiency
- Delay guarantee
- Linear programming
- Industry Sectors