Multiconstrained QoS multipath routing in wireless sensor networks
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Sensor nodes are densely deployed to accomplish various applications because of the inexpensive cost and small size. Depending on different applications, the traffic in the wireless sensor networks may be mixed with time-sensitive packets and reliability-demanding packets. Therefore, QoS routing is an important issue in wireless sensor networks. Our goal is to provide soft-QoS to different packets as path information is not readily available in wireless networks. In this paper, we utilize the multiple paths between the source and sink pairs for QoS provisioning. Unlike E2E QoS schemes, soft-QoS mapped into links on a path is provided based on local link state information. By the estimation and approximation of path quality, traditional NP-complete QoS problem can be transformed to a modest problem. The idea is to formulate the optimization problem as a probabilistic programming, then based on some approximation technique, we convert it into a deterministic linear programming, which is much easier and convenient to solve. More importantly, the resulting solution is also one to the original probabilistic programming. Simulation results demonstrate the effectiveness of our approach.
- P.V. Mieghem and F.A. Kuipers, On the complexity of QoS routing, Computer Communications 26(4) (2003) 376–387. CrossRef
- S. Chen and K. Nahrstedt, Distributed quality-of-service routing in ad hoc networks, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 17(8) (August 1999).
- P.V. Mieghem and F.A. Kuipers, Concepts of exact QoS routing algorithms, IEEE/ACM Trans. on Networking 12(5) (October 2004) 851–864.
- S. Chen and K. Nahrstedt, An overview of quality-of-service routing for the next generation high speed networks: problems and solutions, IEEE Network, Special Issue on Transmission and Distribution of Digital Video 12(6) (November/December 1998) 64–79.
- A. Tsirigos and Z.J. Hass, Analysis of multipath routing, part 2: mitigation of the effects of frequently changing network topologies, IEEE Trans. on Wireless Communications 3(2) (March 2004) 500–511. CrossRef
- G. Liu and K.G. Ramakrushnam, A*Prune: an algorithm for finding K shortest paths subject to multiple constraints, IEEE INFOCOM 2001 2 (April 2001) 743–749.
- T. Korkmaz and M. Krunz, Multi-constrained optimal path selection, IEEE INFOCOM 2001 2 (April 2001) 834–843.
- X. Yuan, Heuristic algorithms for multiconstrained quality-of-service routing, IEEE/ACM Trans. on Networking 10(2) (April 2002) 244–256.
- P. Khadivi, S. Samavi, T.D. Todd and H. Saidi, Multi-constraint QoS routing using a new single mixed metric, 2004 IEEE Intl. Conference on Communications 4 (June 2004) 2042–2046.
- W. Xiao, Y. Luo, B.H. Soong, A. Xu, C.L. Law and K.V. Ling, An efficient heuristic algorithm for multi-constrained path problems, Vehicular Technology Conference 2002 3 (September 2002) 24–28.
- J.M. Jaffe, Algorithms for finding paths with multiple constraints, Networks 14 (Spring 1984) 95–116. CrossRef
- H.D. Neve and P.V. Mieghem, A multiple quality of service routing algorithm for PNNI, in: Proceedings Of the ATM workshop IEEE (May 1998) pp. 324–328.
- D. Bhatnagar, B. Deb and B. Nath, Service differentiation in sensor networks, Fourth International Symposium on Wireless Personal Multimedia Communications (September 2001).
- T.F. Znati and R. Melhem, Node delay assignment strategies to support end-to-end requirement in heterogeneous networks, IEEE/ACM Trans. on Networking 12(5) (October 2004) 879–892.
- B. Deb, S. Bhatnagar and B. Nath, ReInForM: Reliable information forwarding using multiple paths in sensor networks, Local Computer Networks 2003, In: Proceedings. 28th Annual IEEE International Conference on (October 2003) pp. 406–415.
- T. Korkmaz and M. Krunz, Bandwidth-delay constrained path selection under inaccurate state information, IEEE/ACM Trans. on Networking 11(3) (June 2003) 384–398.
- Y. Xiao and K. Thulasiraman, Approximation and heuristic algorithms for delay constrained path selection under inaccurate state information, In: Proceedings of the First Intl. Conf. on Quality of Service in Heterogenenous Wired/Wireless Networks(QSHINE’04) (October 2004) pp. 130–137.
- S. Bhatnagar, B. Deb and B. Nath, Service differentiation in sensor networks, Fourth Intl. Symposium on Wireless Personal Multimedia Communications (September 2001).
- S.R. Das, A. Mukherjee, B. Bandyopadhyay, K. Paul and D. Saha, Improving quality-of-service in ad hoc wireless networks with adaptive multi-path routing, IEEE Globecom 2000 1 (November 2000) 261–265.
- K. Akkaya and M. Younis, An energy-aware QoS routing protocol for wireless sensor networks, Distributed Computing Systems Workshops in: Proceedings. 23rd Intl. Conference on (May 2003) pp. 710–715.
- D. Raz and Y. Shavitt, Optimal partition of QoS requirements with discrete cost functions, IEEE Journal on selected areas in communications 18(12) (December 2000) 2593–2602. CrossRef
- S. Wang, D. Xuan, R. Bettati and W. Zhao, Providing absolute differentiated services for real-time applications in static-priority scheduling networks, IEEE/ACM Trans. on Networking 12(2) (April 2004) 326–339.
- M.S. Bazaraa, J.J. Jarvis and H.D. Sherali, Linear Programming and Network Flows, Third Edition (December 2004).
- J.R. Birge and F. Louveaux, Introduction to stochastic programming (1997).
- A. Orda and A. Sprintson, Efficient algorithm for computing disjoint QoS paths, IEEE INFOCOM 2004 1 (March 2004) 727–738. CrossRef
- N. Ota, D. Hooks, P. Wright, D. Ausiander and T. Peffer, Poster abstract: wireless sensor networks characterization-application to demand response energy pricing, ACM SenSys’03 (November 2003) pp. 334–335.
- J. Zhao and R. Govindan, Understanding packet delivery performance in dense wireless sensor networks, ACM SenSys’03 (November 2003) pp. 1–13.
- A. Woo, T. Tong and D. Culler, Taming the underlying challenges of reliable multihop routing in sensor networks, ACM SenSys’03 (November 2003) pp. 14–27.
- D. Ganesan, R. Govindan, S. Shenker and D. Estrin, Highly-resilient, energy-efficient multipath routing in wireless sensor networks, Mobile Computing and Communications Review(MC2R) 1(2) (2002).
- E. Felemban, C.G. Lee, R. Boder and S. Vural, Probabilistic QoS guarantee in reliability and timeliness domains in wireless sensor networks, Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM 2005 (March 2005).
- Multiconstrained QoS multipath routing in wireless sensor networks
Volume 14, Issue 4 , pp 465-478
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Quality of service
- Constrained optimization
- Wireless sensor network
- Industry Sectors