Power control for multicell CDMA wireless networks: A team optimization approach
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We study power control in multicell CDMA wireless networks as a team optimization problem where each mobile attains at the minimum its individual fixed target SIR level and beyond that optimizes its transmission power level according to its individual preferences. We derive conditions under which the power control problem admits a unique feasible solution. Using a Lagrangian relaxation approach similar to  we obtain two decentralized dynamic power control algorithms: primal and dual power update, and establish their global stability utilizing both classical Lyapunov theory and the passivity framework . We show that the robustness results of passivity studies [8, 9] as well as most of the stability and robustness analyses in the literature  are applicable to the power control problem considered. In addition, some of the basic principles of call admission control are investigated from the perspective of the model adopted in this paper. We illustrate the proposed power control schemes through simulations.
- T. Alpcan and T. Başar, A hybrid systems model for power control in multicell wireless data networks, Performance Evaluation 57(4) (August 2004) 477–495. CrossRef
- T. Alpcan, T. Başar and S. Dey, A power control game based on outage probabilities for multicell wireless data networks, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications 5(4) (2006) 890–899. CrossRef
- T. Alpcan, X. Fan, T. Başar, M. Arcak and J.T. Wen, Power control for multicell CDMA wireless networks: A team optimization approach, in: Proceedings of the WiOpt’05 Workshop: Modeling and Optimization in Mobile, Ad Hoc and Wireless Networks, Riva del Garda, Trentino, Italy (April 2005) pp. 379–388.
- A. Berman and R.J. Plemmons, Nonnegative Matrices in the Mathematical Sciences. Classics in Applied Mathematics. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Philadelphia, PA, (1994). Originally published by (Academic Press, New York, 1979).
- D. Bertsekas, Nonlinear Programming, 2nd edition (Athena Scientific, Belmont, MA, 1999).
- D. Falomari, N. Mandayam and D. Goodman, A new framework for power control in wireless data networks: Games utility and pricing, in: Proceedings of the Allerton Conference on Communication, Control and Computing, Illinois, USA (September 1998) pp. 546–555.
- X. Fan, M. Arcak and J.T. Wen, Passivation designs for CDMA uplink power control, in: Proceedings of the American Control Conference (ACC) 2004, Boston, MA (July 2004).
- X. Fan, M. Arcak and J.T. Wen, Robustness of CDMA power control against disturbances and time-delays, in: Proceedings of the American Control Conference (ACC) 2004, Boston, MA (July 2004).
- X. Fan, M. Arcak and J.T. Wen, Robustness of network flow control against disturbances and time-delays, Systems and Control Letters 53(1) (2004) 13–29. CrossRef
- F. Kelly, A. Maulloo and D. Tan, Rate control in communication networks: Shadow prices, proportional fairness and stability, Journal of the Operational Research Society 49 (1998) 237–252. CrossRef
- F.P. Kelly, Charging and rate control for elastic traffic, European Transactions on Telecommunications 8 (January 1997) 33–37.
- T.S. Rapaport, Wireless Communications: Principles and Practice (Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, 1996).
- R. Srikant, The Mathematics of Internet Congestion Control. Systems & Control: Foundations & Applications (Birkhauser, Boston, MA, 2004).
- J.T. Wen and M. Arcak, A unifying passivity framework for network flow control, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control 49(2) (February 2004) 162–174. CrossRef
- R.D. Yates, A framework for uplink power control in cellular radio systems, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 13 (September 1995) 1341–1347. CrossRef
- Power control for multicell CDMA wireless networks: A team optimization approach
Volume 14, Issue 5 , pp 647-657
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Power control
- CDMA wireless networks
- Team optimization
- Admission control
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Deutsche Telekom Laboratories, Technische Universität Berlin Ernst-Reuter-Platz 7, Berlin, 10587, Germany
- 2. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Electrical, Computer, and Systems Eng. Dept., 110 8th Street Troy, New York, 12180-3590, USA
- 3. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Coordinated Science Laboratory, 1308 W. Main Street, Urbana, IL, 61801, USA