The GANE Roof Project: The impact of reduced N & S deposition and experimental warming in an acid grassland
A field-based system used to quantify the response of acid grassland to reduced atmospheric nitrogen and sulphur deposition, and to investigate the effects of elevated soil temperature on acid grassland development is described. The system is based on 12 retractable roofs, covering undisturbed experimental plots of acid grassland and three controls. Nine roofs are used to exclude natural precipitation and three roofs used to retain emitted IR radiation at night. An irrigation system has been developed to simulate natural precipitation, allowing for the application of specific treatment regimes of ambient, reduced nitrogen and reduced nitrogen/sulphur deposition beneath the nine rain exclusion plots. Plant, soil parameters, leachate chemistry and gaseous fluxes are being monitored and initial results on soil water chemistry are described. Warming appeared to enhance nitrate concentrations in soil water but this was not sustained beyond the first year of treatment. In contrast, the deposition reduction treatments decreased soil water nitrate concentrations within a few weeks of reducing deposition. This was not observed for other solutes such as sulphate or ammonium suggesting a more direct link between deposition of nitrate and leaching losses.
- Beier, C., Emmett, B. A., Gundersen, P., Tietema, A., Penuelas, J., Estiarte, M., Gordon, C., Gorissen, A., Llorens, L., Roda, F. and Williams, D.: in press, ‘Novel approaches to study climate change effects on terrestrial ecosystems in the field-Drought and passive night time warming. Ecosystems.
- Bobbink, R., Hornung, M., Roelofs, J. G. M. (1998) The effects of air-borne nitrogen pollutants on species diversity in natural and semi-natural European vegetation. J. Ecol. 86: pp. 717-738
- Gordon, C., Emmett, B. A., Jones, M. L. M., Barden, T., Wildig, J., Williams, D. L., Woods, C., Bell, S. A., Norris, D. A., Ashenden, T.W. Rushton, S. P. and Sanderson, R. A.: 2001, ‘Grazing/Nitrogen deposition interactions in upland acid moorland’, Contract report to National Assembly for Wales and Countryside Council Wales, 83 pp.
- Hornung, M., Stevens, P. A., Reynolds, B. (1986) The impact of pasture improvement on the soil solution chemistry of some stagnopodzols in Mid-Wales. Soil Use Manage 2: pp. 18-26
- Houghton, J. T., Ding, Y., Griggs, D. J., Noguer, M., Lindern, P. J., Xiaosu, D. eds. (2001) Climate Change 2001, The Scientific Basis. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge
- Hudson, J. A., Gilman, K., Calder, I. R. (1997) Land use and water issues in the uplands with reference to the Plynlimon Study. Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci. 1: pp. 389-397
- Hulne, M., Jenkins, G.J., La, X., Turnpenny, J.R., Mitchell, T.D., Jones, R.G., Lowe, J., Murphy, J.M., Hassell, D., Boorman, P., McDonald, R., Hill, S. (2002) The UKCIPO2 Scientific Report. Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research, School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK
- IPPC: 1995, Climate Change 1995, Impacts, Adaptations and Mitigation of Climate Change: Scientific-Technical Analyses, in R. T. Watson, M. C. Zinyowera and R. H. Moss (eds.), Cambridge University Press.
- Monteith, D. T. and Evans, C. D.: 2000, ‘Analysis and Interpretation of Results April 1988–March 1998’, UK Acid Waters Monitoring Network: 10 year Report, ENSIS Publishing, 219 pp.
- Monteith, D. T., Evans, C. D., Reynolds, B. (2000) Are temporal variations in the content of UK upland freshwaters linked to the North Atlantic oscillation?. Hydrological Processes 14: pp. 1745-1749
- NEGTAP: 2001, ‘Transbounday air pollution: Acidification, eutrophication and ground-level ozone in the UK’, Report of the National Expert Group on Transbondary Air Pollution, CEH Edinburgh, 314 pp.
- Ruderforth, C. C, Hartnup, R., Lea, J.W, Thompson, T. R. E and Wright, P. S.: 1984, ‘Soils and their use in Wales’, Soil Survey of England and Wales Bulletin No 11, Harpenden.
- Schmidt, I. K., Tietema, A., Williams, D., Gundersen, P., Beier, C., Emmett, B. A. and Estiarte, M.: in press, ‘Soil solution chemistry and element fluxes in three European heathlands and their responses to warming and drought’, Ecosystems.
- Skjelkvale, B. L., Stoddard, J. L., Andersen, T. (2001) Trends in surface water acidification in Europe and North America (1989–1998). Water Air Soil Pollut. 130: pp. 787-792
- Wright, R. F. (1998) Effect of increased carbon dioxide and temperature on runoff chemistry at a forested catchment in southern Norway (CLIMEX project). Ecosystems 1: pp. 216-225 CrossRef
- Wright, R. F., Rasmussen, L. (1998) Introduction to the NITREX and EXMAN projects. Forest Ecol. Manage. 101: pp. 1-7
- The GANE Roof Project: The impact of reduced N & S deposition and experimental warming in an acid grassland
Water, Air, & Soil Pollution: Focus
Volume 4, Issue 6 , pp 187-196
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- acid grassland
- climate change
- nitrogen deposition