Nitrous Oxide Emission from some English and Welsh Rivers and Estuaries
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Nutrient and N2O concentrations in the water columns were measured seasonally over a full salinity range in the nutrified rivers Colne, Stour, Orwell, Deben, Trent, Ouse and Humber and their estuaries on the east coast of England between August 2001 and May 2002, and in the oligotrophic rivers Conwy, Dovey and Mawddach in North and West Wales between August 2002 and May 2003. Nutrient and N2O concentrations in the nutrified English rivers and estuaries were much higher than those in the Welsh rivers. N2O concentrations and % saturation in the estuaries were significantly correlated with nitrate, nitrite and ammonium concentrations in the water. The strongest correlation was with nitrite (r 2 = 0.56, p < 0.01), suggesting that nitrite was the most significant factor among the different nutrients in regulating N2O concentration in the estuaries. N2O concentrations in the English rivers and estuaries were supersaturated throughout the year with annual averages from 186.9 to 992.9%, indicating that these rivers and estuaries were sources of atmospheric N2O, whereas in the Welsh rivers N2O concentrations were much lower with annual averages from 113.6 to 137.4% saturation. Although the estuarine area in the Colne was almost the same as that in the Conwy, the annual N2O emission from the Colne was much higher (937498 mol N yr−1) than in the Conwy (23020 mol N yr−1). On the east coast, riverine emissions of N2O were only 0.5–12.5% of the total emission from rivers and estuaries. Thus rivers were negligible, but estuaries were significant contributors to the UK N2O inventory.
- Barnes, J. and Owens, N. J. P.: 1998, ‘Denitrification and nitrous oxide concentrations in the Humber Estuary, UK, and Adjacent Coastal Zones’, Mar. Pollut. Bull. 37, 247–260.
- Bouwman, A. F., van Der Hoek, K. M. and Olivier, L. G. C.: 1995, ‘Uncertainties in the Global Source Distribution of Nitrous Oxide’, J. Geophys. Res. 100, 2785–2800.
- Dong, L. F., Nedwell, D. B., Underwood, G. J. C., Thornton, D. C. O. and Rusmana, I.: 2002, ‘Nitrous Oxide Formation in the Colne Estuary, England: The Central role of nitrite’, Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 8, 1240–1249.
- Fuller, R. M. and Parsell, R. J.: 1990, ‘Classification of TM Imagery in the Study of Land-Use in Lowland Britain – Practical considerations for operational use’, Int. J. Remote Sens. 11, 1901–1917.
- Garcia-Ruiz, R., Pattinson, S. N. and Whitton, B. A.: 1998a, ‘Denitrification and Nitrous Oxide Production in Sediments of Wiske, a Lowland Eutrophic River’, Sci. Total Environ. 210/211, 307–320.
- Garcia-Ruiz, R., Pattinson, S. N. and Whitton, B. A.: 1998b, ‘Kinetic Parameters of Denitrification in a River Continuum’, Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 64, 2533–2538.
- Garcia-Ruiz, R., Pattinson, S. N. and Whitton, B. A.: 1999, ‘Nitrous Oxide Production in the Rivers Swale-Ouse, North-East England’, Water Res. 33, 1231–1237.
- Khalil, M. A. K. and Rasmussen, R. A.: 1992, ‘The Global Sources of Nitrous Oxide’, J. Geophys. Res. 97, 14651–14660.
- Robinson, A. D., Nedwell, D. B., Harrison, R. M. and Ogilvie, B. D.: 1998, ‘Hypernutrified Estuaries as Sources of N2O emission to the atmosphere: The estuary of the River Colne, Essex, UK’, Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 164, 591–571.
- Rodhe, H.: 1990, ‘A Comparison of the Contribution of Various Gases to the Greenhouse Effect’, Science 248, 1217–1219.
- Seitzinger, S. P. and Kroeze, C. O.: 1998, ‘Global Distribution Of Nitrous Oxide Production And N Inputs In Freshwater And Coastal Marine Ecosystems’, Global Biogeochem. Cycles 12, 93–113.
- Upstill-Goddard, R. C., Watson, A. J., Liss, P. S. and Liddicoat, M. I.: 1990, ‘Gas Transfer Velocities Measured with SF6’, Tellus 42B, 364–377.
- Weiss, R. F.: 1981, ‘The Temperal and Spatial Distribution of Tropospheric Nitrous Oxide’, J. Geophys. Res. 86, 7185–7195.
- Nitrous Oxide Emission from some English and Welsh Rivers and Estuaries
Water, Air, & Soil Pollution: Focus
Volume 4, Issue 6 , pp 127-134
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- nitrous oxide