The Release of Nitrous Oxide from the Intertidal Zones of Two European Estuaries in Response to Increased Ammonium and Nitrate Loading
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Nitrous oxide (N2O) release and denitrification rates were investigated from the intertidal saltmarsh and mudflats of two European river estuaries, the Couesnon in Normandy, France and the Torridge in Devon, UK. Sediment cores and water were collected from each study site and incubated for 72 h in tidal simulation chambers. Gas samples were collected at 6 and 12 h intervals from the chambers during incubation. From these N2O emission rates were calculated. The greatest rates for both N2O production and denitrification were measured from saltmarsh cores. These were 1032 μmol N2O m−2 day−1 and 2518 μmol N2 m−2 day−1, respectively, from the Couesnon and 109 μmol N2O m−2 day−1 and 303 μmol N2 m−2 day−1 from the Torridge. A strong positive correlation was apparent with N2O emission rates and ammonium concentration in the sediment, nitrate concentration in floodwater and sediment aerobicity.
- Asmus, R. M., Jensen, M. H., Jensen, K. M., Kristensen, E., Asmus, H. and Wille, A.: 1998, ‘The Role of Water Movement and Spatial Scaling for Measurement of Dissolved Inorganic Nitrogen Fluxes in Intertidal Sediments’, Est. Coast Shelf Sci. 46, 221–232.
- Billen, G., Somville, M., de Becker, E. and Servais, P.: 1985, ‘A Nitrogen Budget of the Scheldt Hydrographical Basin’, Neth. J. Sea Res. 19, 223–230.
- Bouwman, A. F.: 1993, ‘The global source distribution of N2O’, in V. Amstel (ed.), Methane and Nitrous Oxide. Methods in National Emissions Inventories and Options for Control, IPPC, National Institute for Public Health and Environmental Protection, Bilthoven, The Netherlands, pp. 261–277.
- Bruchon, F., Mortreux, F., Rombaut, J., Falala, J., Lefèvre, J. C., Rivoal, J.-L., Jacquet, A., Faytre, I. and Michel, P.: 2000, ‘Etude préalable à la mise en place d’un outil d’aide à la gestion globale de l’eau sur les bassins versants’.
- Butler, J. H., Elkins, J. W., Thompson, T. M. and Egan, K. B.: 1989, ‘Tropospheric and dissolved N2O of the West Pacific and East Indian Oceans during El Ni no-southern Oscillation Event of 1987’, J. Geophys. Res. 94, 865–877.
- Cicerone, R. J.: 1987, ‘Changes in stratospheric ozone’, Science 237, 35–41.
- Commission Interbassins Baie du Mont-Saint-Michel, Agence de l’Eau Seine-Normandie, et Loire-Bretagne, BCEOM.
- Crutzen, P. J. and Graedel, T. E.: 1993, Atmospheric Change: An Earth System Perspective, W.H. Freeman & Company, New York.
- Environment Agency: 1999, River Torridge and Hartland Streams Action Plan, September 1999–2004, (LEAP) Local Environment Agency Plan, Exminster, EA, p. 75.
- Garrido, F., Hénault, C., Gaillard, H. and Germon, J. C.: 2000, ‘Inhibitory Capacities of Acetylene on Nitrification in Two Agricultural Soils’, Soil Biol. Biochem. 32, 1799–1802.
- Hahn, J. and Junge, C.: 1977, ‘Atmospheric N2O: A critical review’, Z. Naturforsch. 32, 190–214.
- Houghton, J. T., Meiro Filho, L. G., Callendar, B. A., Harris, N., Kattenberg, A. and Maskell, K.: 1996, Climate Change 1995: The Science of Climate Change, IPCC.
- Lefèvre, J. C., Bertru, G., Burel, F., Brient, L., Créach, V., Gueuné, Y., Levasseur, J., Mariotti, A., Radureau, A., Retière, C., Savouré, B. and Troccaz, O.: 1994, ‘Comparative Studies on Salt Marsh Processes: Mont-Saint-Michel Bay’, in J.C. Lefeuvre (ed.), Tidal Exchanges: Import–Export of Organic Matter, Elsevier Science, pp. 215–234.
- Letey, J., Valoras, N., Focht, D. D. and Ryden, J. C.: 1981, ‘N2O production and reduction during denitrification as affected by Redox Potential’, Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 45, 727–730.
- McLusky, D. S.: 1996, The Estuarine Ecosystem, 2nd edn., Blakie A & P, Glasgow.
- Smith, C. J. and Patrick, W. H.: 1983, ‘N2O emissions as Affected by Alternate Anaerobic and Aerobic Conditions from Soil Suspensions Enriched with Ammonium Sulphate’, Soil Biol. Biochem. 15, 693–697.
- Yoshinari, T.: 1990, ‘Emissions of N2O from various Environments – The Use of Stable Isotope Composition of N2O as a Tracer for the Studies of N2O Biogeochemical Cycling’, in N.P.S. Revsbech and J. Sorensen (eds.), Denitrification in Soil and Sediment, Plenum Press, New York, pp. 129–150.
- Yoshinari, T. and Knowles, R.: 1976, ‘Acetylene inhibition of N2O reduction by denitrifying bacteria’, Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm. 69, 705–710.
- The Release of Nitrous Oxide from the Intertidal Zones of Two European Estuaries in Response to Increased Ammonium and Nitrate Loading
Water, Air, & Soil Pollution: Focus
Volume 4, Issue 6 , pp 61-66
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- estuarine intertidal zones
- nitrous oxide evolution
- nutrient inputs
- tidal simulation chambers
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Grassland and Environmental Research, North Wyke, Okehampton, Devon, EX20 2SB, U.K.
- 2. Royal Holloway Institute for Environmental Research, Huntersdale, Callow Hill, Virginia Water, Surrey, GU25 4LN, U.K.
- 3. Department of Geography, Royal Holloway University of London, Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, U.K.
- 4. Cemagref, 17 Avenue de Cucillé, 35044, Rennes, France