Parameterized Scheduling of Topological Patterns in Signal Processing Dataflow Graphs
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In recent work, a graphical modeling construct called “topological patterns” has been shown to enable concise representation and direct analysis of repetitive dataflow graph sub-structures in the context of design methods and tools for digital signal processing systems (Sane et al. 2010). In this paper, we present a formal design method for specifying topological patterns and deriving parameterized schedules from such patterns based on a novel schedule model called the scalable schedule tree. The approach represents an important class of parameterized schedule structures in a form that is intuitive for representation and efficient for code generation. Through application case studies involving image processing and wireless communications, we demonstrate our methods for topological pattern representation, scalable schedule tree derivation, and associated dataflow graph code generation.
- Bahl, L., Cocke, J., Jelinek, F., Raviv, J. (1974). Optimal decoding of linear codes for minimizing symbol error rate. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 20(2), 284–287. CrossRef
- Berrou, C., Glavieux, A., Thitimajshima, P. (1993). Near Shannon limit error-correcting coding and decoding: turbo-codes. In IEEE International Conference on Communications (pp. 1064–1070).
- Bhattacharya, B., & Bhattacharyya, S.S. (2001). Parameterized dataflow modeling for DSP systems. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 49(10), 2408–2421. CrossRef
- Bhattacharyya, S.S., Deprettere, E., Leupers, R., Takala, J. (Eds.) (2010). Handbook of signal processing systems. New York: Springer.
- Bilsen, G., Engels, M., Lauwereins, R., Peperstraete, J.A. (1996). Cyclo-static dataflow. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 44(2), 397–408. CrossRef
- Geilen, M., & Basten, T. (2004). Reactive process networks. In Proceedings of the international workshop on embedded software (pp. 137–146).
- Gu, R., Janneck, J.W., Bhattacharyya, S.S., Raulet, M., Wipliez, M., Plishker, W. (2009). Exploring the concurrency of an MPEG RVC decoder based on dataflow program analysis. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, 19(11), 1646–1657. CrossRef
- Hsu, C., Ko, M., Bhattacharyya, S.S. (2005). Software synthesis from the dataflow interchange format. In Proceedings of the international workshop on software and compilers for embedded systems, Dallas, Texas (pp. 37–49).
- Kahn, G. (1974). The semantics of a simple language for parallel programming. In Proceedings of the IFIP congress.
- Kee, H., Bhattacharyya, S.S., Kornerup, J. (2010). Efficient static buffering to guarantee throughput-optimal FPGA implementation of synchronous dataflow graphs. In Proceedings of the international conference on embedded computer systems: architectures, modeling, and simulation, Samos, Greece (pp. 136–143).
- Ko, M., Zissulescu, C., Puthenpurayil, S., Bhattacharyya, S.S., Kienhuis, B., Deprettere, E. (2007). Parameterized looped schedules for compact representation of execution sequences in DSP hardware and software implementation. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 55(6), 3126–3138. CrossRef
- Lee, E.A., & Messerschmitt, D.G. (1987). Synchronous dataflow. Proceedings of the IEEE, 75(9), 1235–1245. CrossRef
- Lee, E.A., Ho,W.H., Goei, E., Bier, J., Bhattacharyya, S.S. (1989). Gabriel: a design environment for DSP. IEEE Transactions on Acoustics Speech, and Signal Processing, 37(11), 1751–1762. CrossRef
- Lowe, D.G. (2004). Distinctive image features from scale-invariant keypoints. International Journal of Computer Vision, 60(2), 91–110. CrossRef
- Nikolov, H., Stefanov, T., Deprettere, E. (2005). Modeling and FPGA implementation of applications using parameterized process networks with non-static parameters. In Proceedings of the IEEE symposium on FPGAs for custom computing machines.
- Oh, H., & Ha, S. (2004). Fractional rate dataflow model for efficient code synthesis. Journal of VLSI Signal Processing Systems for Signal Image, and Video Technology, 37, 41–51. CrossRef
- Sane, N., Kee, H., Seetharaman, G., Bhattacharyya, S.S. (2010). Scalable representation of dataflow graph structures using topological patterns. In Proceedings of the IEEE workshop on signal processing systems, San Francisco Bay Area, USA (pp. 13–18).
- Shen, C., Wu, H., Sane, N., Plishker, W., Bhattacharyya, S.S. (2011). A design tool for efficient mapping of multimedia applications onto heterogeneous platforms. In Proceedings of the IEEE international conference on multimedia and expo, Barcelona, Spain. 6 pages in online proceedings.
- Theelen, B.D., Geilen, M.C.W., Basten, T., Voeten, J.P.M., Gheorghita, S.V., Stuijk, S. (2006). A scenario-aware data flow model for combined long-run average and worst-case performance analysis. In Proceedings of the international conference on formal methods and models for Codesign.
- Wu, S., Shen, C., Sane, N., Davis, K., Bhattacharyya, S. (2012). Parameterized scheduling for signal processing systems using topological patterns. In Proceedings of the international conference on acoustics, speech, and signal processing, Kyoto, Japan (pp. 1561–1564).
- Parameterized Scheduling of Topological Patterns in Signal Processing Dataflow Graphs
Journal of Signal Processing Systems
Volume 71, Issue 3 , pp 275-286
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Software tools
- Image registration
- Turbo decoder
- Industry Sectors