Mapping Parameterized Cyclo-static Dataflow Graphs onto Configurable Hardware
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In recent years, parameterized dataflow has evolved as a useful framework for modeling synchronous and cyclo-static graphs in which arbitrary parameters can be changed dynamically. Parameterized dataflow has proven to have significant expressive power for managing dynamics of DSP applications in important ways. However, efficient hardware synthesis techniques for parameterized dataflow representations are lacking. This paper addresses this void; specifically, the paper investigates efficient field programmable gate array (FPGA)-based implementation of parameterized cyclo-static dataflow (PCSDF) graphs. We develop a scheduling technique for throughput-constrained minimization of dataflow buffering requirements when mapping PCSDF representations of DSP applications onto FPGAs. The proposed scheduling technique is integrated with an existing formal schedule model, called the generalized schedule tree, to reduce schedule cost. To demonstrate our new, hardware-oriented PCSDF scheduling technique, we have designed a real-time base station emulator prototype based on a subset of long-term evolution (LTE), which is a key cellular standard.
- Lee, E. A., & Messerschmitt, D. G. (1987). Static scheduling of synchronous data flow programs for digital signal processing. IEEE Transactions on Computers, 36(1), 24–35. CrossRef
- Hsu, C., Ramasubbu, S., Ko, M., Pino, J. L., & Bhattacharyya, S. S. (2006). Efficient simulation of critical synchronous dataflow graphs. In Proceedings of the design automation conference (pp. 893–898). San Francisco, California.
- Robbins, C. B. (2002). Autocoding toolset software tools for automatic generation of parallel application software. Technical report, Management Communications and Control, Inc.
- Horstmannshoff, J., & Meyr, H. (2000). Efficient building block based rtl code generation from synchronous data flow graphs. In DAC ‘00: Proceedings of the 37th annual design automation conference (pp. 552–555). New York: ACM. CrossRef
- Bilsen, G., Engels, M., Lauwereins, R., & Peperstraete, J. A. (1996). Cyclo-static dataflow. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 44(2), 397–408. CrossRef
- Bhattacharya, B., & Bhattacharyya, S. S. (2001). Parameterized dataflow modeling for DSP systems. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 49(10), 2408–2421. CrossRef
- Saha, S., Puthenpurayil, S., & Bhattacharyya, S. S. (2006). Dataflow transformations in high-level DSP system design. In Proceedings of the international symposium on system-on-chip (pp. 131–136). Invited paper, Tampere, Finland.
- Reiter, R. (1968). Scheduling parallel computations. Journal of the Association for Computing Machinery, 15, 590–599. CrossRef
- Dasdan, A., Dasdan, A., Gupta, R. K., & Gupta, R. K. (1998). Faster maximum and minimum mean cycle algorithms for system-performance analysis. IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, 17, 889–899. CrossRef
- Pino, J. L., Bhattacharyya, S. S., & Lee, E. A. (1995). A hierarchical multiprocessor scheduling system for DSP applications. In Proceedings of the IEEE asilomar conference on signals, systems, and computers (Vol. 1, pp. 122–126). Pacific Grove, California.
- Ghamarian, A. H., Geilen, M. C. W., Stuijk, S., Basten, T., Theelen, B. D., et al. (2006). Throughput analysis of synchronous data flow graphs. In ACSD ’06: Proceedings of the sixth international conference on application of concurrency to system design (pp. 25–36). Washington, DC: IEEE Computer Society. CrossRef
- Stuijk, E., Geilen, M., & Basten, T. (2006). Exploring trade-offs in buffer requirements and throughput constraints for synchronous dataflow graphs. In DAC (pp. 899–904). ACM Press.
- Geilen, M., Basten, T., & Stuijk, E. (2005). Minimising buffer requirements of synchronous dataflow graphs with model checking. In Proceedings of the design automation conference (pp. 819–824). ACM.
- Bhattacharyya, S. S., Murthy, P. K., & Lee, E. A. (1996). Software synthesis from dataflow graphs. Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Horstmannshoff, J., & Meyr, H. (1999). Optimized system synthesis of complex rt level building blocks from multirate dataflow graphs. In ISSS ’99: Proceedings of the 12th international symposium on system synthesis (p. 38). Washington, DC: IEEE Computer Society. CrossRef
- Kee, H., Wong, I., Rao, Y., & Bhattacharyya, S. S. (2010). FPGA-based design and implementation of the 3GPP-LTE physical layer using parameterized synchronous dataflow techniques. In Proceedings of the international conference on acoustics, speech, and signal processing. Dallas, Texas.
- Sriram, S., & Bhattacharyya, S. S. (2009). Embedded multiprocessors: Scheduling and synchronization (2nd ed.). CRC Press.
- Cormen, T. H., Leiserson, C. E., Rivest, R. L., & Stein, C. (2000). Introduction to algorithms (2nd ed.). MIT Press, McGraw-Hill Book Company.
- Hsu, C., Ko, M., & Bhattacharyya, S. S. (2005). Software synthesis from the dataflow interchange format. In Proceedings of the international workshop on software and compilers for embedded systems (pp. 37–49). Dallas, Texas.
- Ko, M., Zissulescu, C., Puthenpurayil, S., Bhattacharyya, S. S., Kienhuis, B., & Deprettere, E. (2007). Parameterized looped schedules for compact representation of execution sequences in DSP hardware and software implementation. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 55(6), 3126–3138. CrossRef
- 3G Americas (2009). The mobile broadband evolution: 3GPP release 8 and beyond.
- Mapping Parameterized Cyclo-static Dataflow Graphs onto Configurable Hardware
Journal of Signal Processing Systems
Volume 66, Issue 3 , pp 285-301
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Dataflow modeling
- FPGA implementation
- 4G communication systems
- Parameterized dataflow
- Industry Sectors