On the Local Behavior of Spaces of Natural Images
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In this study we concentrate on qualitative topological analysis of the local behavior of the space of natural images. To this end, we use a space of 3 by 3 high-contrast patches ℳ. We develop a theoretical model for the high-density 2-dimensional submanifold of ℳ showing that it has the topology of the Klein bottle. Using our topological software package PLEX we experimentally verify our theoretical conclusions. We use polynomial representation to give coordinatization to various subspaces of ℳ. We find the best-fitting embedding of the Klein bottle into the ambient space of ℳ. Our results are currently being used in developing a compression algorithm based on a Klein bottle dictionary.
- Carlsson, G., & de Silva, V. (2004). Topological estimation using witness complexes. In Symposium on point-based graphics.
- de Silva, V. (2003). A weak definition of Delaunay triangulation.
- Edelsbrunner, H., Letscher, D., & Zomorodian, A. (2000). Topological persistence and simplification. IEEE symposium on foundations of computer science.
- Field, D. J. (1987). Relations between the statistics of natural images and the response properties of cortical cells. Journal of the Optical Society of America, 4(12), 2379–2394.
- Geman, D., & Koloydenko, A. (1999). Invariant statistics and coding of natural microimages. In Proceedings of the IEEE workshop on statistical and computational theories of vision.
- Hatcher, A. (2001). Algebraic topology. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Knill, D. C., Field, D. J., & Kersten, D. (1990). Human discrimination of fractal images. Journal of the Optical Society of America A, 7(6), 1113–1123 CrossRef
- Lee, A. B., Pedersen, K. S., & Mumford, D. (2003). The non-linear statistics of high-contrast patches in natural images. International Journal of Computer Vision, 54(1–3), 83–103. CrossRef
- Reinagel, P., & Zador, A. M. (1999). Natural scene statistics at the center of gaze. Network: Computation in Neural Systems, 10(4), 341–350. CrossRef
- Silverman, B. W. (1986). Density estimation for statistics and data analysis. London: Chapman & Hall/CRC.
- Singh, G., Mémoli, F., Ishkhanov, T., Sapiro, G., Carlsson, G., & Ringach, D., (2007, submitted). Topological structure of population activity in primary visual cortex. PLoS.
- van Hateren, J. H. (1992). Theoretical predictions of spatiotemporal receptive fields of fly LMCs, and experimental validation. Journal of Computational Physiology A, 171, 157–170.
- van Hateren, J. H., & van der Schaaf, A. (1998). Independent component filters of natural images compared with simple cells in primary visual cortex. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B, 265, 359–366. CrossRef
- Zomorodian, A., & Carlsson, G. (2004). Computing persistent homology. In 20th ACM symposium on computational geometry.
- On the Local Behavior of Spaces of Natural Images
International Journal of Computer Vision
Volume 76, Issue 1 , pp 1-12
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Natural images
- Klein bottle
- Persistent homology
- Industry Sectors