Undocumented & Unafraid: The DREAM Act 5 and the Public Disclosure of Undocumented Status as a Political Act
- René Galindo
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In 2010, the political advocacy of undocumented immigrant students in support of the DREAM Act took a new and decisive direction when the public disclosure of undocumented status as political act was adopted. This new political strategy included the first case of civil disobedience practiced by a group of undocumented immigrant students now known as the DREAM Act 5. Letters written by four of the DREAM Act 5, press media articles and interviews, and information from student advocacy blogs were examined in this study. The students’ political agency/subjectivity was the focus of the analysis as well as the function of the public disclosure of undocumented status in challenging the societal exclusion, invisibility, and dehumanization of undocumented immigrant students.
- Abrego, L. (2008). Legitimacy, social identity, and the mobilization of law: The effects of assembly bill 540 on the undocumented students in California. Law & Social Inquiry, 33, 709–734. CrossRef
- Abrego, L. (2011). Legal consciousness of undocumented Latinos: Fear and stigma as barriers to claims-making for first- and 1.5 generation immigrants. Law and Society, 45, 337–369. CrossRef
- Agamben, G. (2000). Means without end: Notes on politics. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- Alcaraz, R. (2010, Sept 18). Letter to the DREAM movement: My painful withdrawal of support for the DREAM act. http://tucsoncitizen.com/three-sonorans/2010/09/18/letter-to-the-dream-movement-my-painful-withdrawal-of-support-for-the-dream-act/.
- Arendt, H. (1973). The origins of totalitarianism. New York: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich.
- Arendt, H. (1998, 1958). The human condition. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Beltran, C. (2010). The trouble with unity: Latino politics and the creation of identity. NY: Oxford University Press.
- Beverley, J. (2000). Testimonio, subalternity, and narrative authority. In Norman. Denzin & Yvonne. Lincoln (Eds.), Handbook of qualitative research (pp. 555–565). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Bodfield, R. (2010, May 18). 4 Arrested at McCain office sit-in. Arizona Daily Star. http://azstarnet.com/news/local/border/arrested-at-mccain-office-sit-in/article_53c85e22-abeb-5507-9920-b6e4260212f9.html.
- Burgos, E. (1985). Me Llamo Rigoberta Menchú y así me Nació la Conciencia. Spain: Siglo Veintiuno Editores.
- De Genova, N. (2002). Migrant “illegality” and deportability in everyday life. Annual Review of Anthropology, 31, 419–447. CrossRef
- Delgado, R. (1989). Storytelling for the oppositionists and others: A plea for narrative. Michigan Law Review, 87, 2411–2441. CrossRef
- Fraser, N. (1990). Rethinking the public sphere: A contribution to the critique of actually existing democracy. Social Text, 25(26), 56–80. CrossRef
- Galindo, R. (2011). Embodying the gap between national inclusion and exclusion: The congressional testimony of three undocumented students. Harvard Latino Law Review., 14, 377–395.
- Gonzales, R. (2008). Left out but not shut down: Political activism and the undocumented student movement. Northwestern Journal of Law and Social Policy, 3, 219–239.
- Gonzales, R. (2011). Learning to be illegal: Undocumented youth and shifting legal contexts in the transition to adulthood. American Sociological Review, 76, 602–619. CrossRef
- Honig, Bonnie. (2001). Democracy and the foreigner. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Immigrant Youth Justice League (2011). Blog and video, “Coming out of the shadows”. http://www.iyjl.org/?p=2055.
- Jara, R. (1986). Prólogo. In René, J. & Hernán, V. (Eds.) Testimonio y Literatura, (pp. 1–6).
- Kozlowski, K. (2010, May 20). Gay Iranian student could be deported. The Detroit News. Retrieved from NewsBank.com on March 22, 2011.
- Landau, M. (2010, July 5). Out of the shadows, into the spotlight: Tania Unzueta may be the most visible undocumented immigrant in the United States. In These Times. http://www.inthesetimes.com/article/6114/out_of_the_shadows_into_the_spotlight/.
- Lopez, J. (2010). Undocumented students and the politics of wasted potential. El Paso, TX: LFB Scholarly Publishing LLC.
- López, M. (2005). Reflections on educating Latino and Latina undocumented children: Beyond Plyler v Doe. Seton Hall Law Review, 35, 1373–1406.
- McClure, M. (1993). Arguing for your self: Identity as an organising principle in teachers’ jobs and lives. British Education Research Journal, 19, 311–322. CrossRef
- McNevin, A. (2007). Irregular migrants, neoliberal georgraphies and spatial frontiers of the political. Review of International Studies, 33, 655–674. CrossRef
- Morales, A., Herrera, S., & Murry, K. (2011). Navigating the waves of social and political capriciousness: Inspiring perspectives from DREAM-eligible immigrant students. Journal of Hispanic Education, 10, 266–283. CrossRef
- New York Times. (2010, May 19). Courage in Arizona. New York Times. nytimes.com/2010/05/20/opinion/20thu2.html.
- New York Times. (2012, June 4). A start on the dream (editorial). “A start on the dream” (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/04/opinion/a-start-on-the-dream-act.html?_r=3&ref=opinion).
- Passel, J. & Cohn, S. W. (2009). A portrait of unauthorized immigrants in the United States. Pew Hispanic Center.
- Perez, W., Espinoza, R., Ramos, K., Coronado, H., & Cortes, R. (2010). Civic engagement patterns of undocumented Mexican students. Journal of Hispanic Higher Education, 9, 245–265. CrossRef
- Preston, J. (2010, May 18). Illegal immigrant students protest at McCain office. New York Times, A14.
- Preston, J. (2010, August 9). Administration spares students in deportation. New York Times, A1.
- Preston, J. (2012, May 30). Students press for action on immigration. (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/31/us/students-press-for-action-on-immigration.htm?_r=1).
- Puente, T. (2010, June 5). Illegal immigrants face barrier in pursuit of college education. Chicago Tribune. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2001-06-05/news/0106050027_1_undocumented-high-school-students-immigration-status-advanced-placement-tests.
- Rancière, J. (1999). Disagreement: Politics and philosophy. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- Saavedra, M (2010). Undocumented & unafraid a so[ul]cial history of the student immigrant movement. Unpublished paper. (www.dreamactivist.org/files/2011/04/DREAM-ACT-A-Soulcial-History1.pdf).
- Sassen, S. (1995). The repositioning of citizenship and alienage: Emergent subjects and spaces for politics. Globalizations, 2, 79–94. CrossRef
- Schmich, M. (2010, March 10). Undocumented and unafraid: Despite the risks, a young illegal immigrant will publicly declare her status at a downtown rally. Chicago Tribune. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-03-10/news/ct-met-schmich-0310-20100309_1_tania-undocumented-banners.
- Seif, H. (2010). The civic life of Latina/o immigrant youth: Challenging boundaries and creating safe spaces. In L. Sherrod, J. Torney-Purta, & C. Flanagan (Eds.), Handbook of research on civic engagement in youth (pp. 445–470). Hobeken, NJ: Wiley. CrossRef
- Squires, C. (2002). Rethinking black public sphere: An alternative vocabulary for multiple public spheres. Communication Theory, 12, 446–468. CrossRef
- SIN, Students Informing Now. (2007). Challenge the racial state in California without shame…SIN Vergüenza! (pp. 71–90). Education Foundations.
- Tareen, S. (2010, March 10). Young illegal immigrants ‘coming out’ in Ill. http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2010/03/10/illegal_immigrant_youth_hold_coming_out_day/.
- Wallsten, P. (2012, June 15) U.S. will stop deporting some illegal immigrants who came here as children. Washington Post. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/us-will-stop-deporting-some-illegal-immigrants-who-came-here-as-children/2012/06/15/gJQANBbseV_story.html?hpid=z1).
- Williams, M. & Bauer, L. (2010, September 5). Students support giving undocumented people path to citizenship via education. The Kansas City Star. Reposted on http://ksmoda.org/2010/09/13/ksmoda-in-the-star/.
- Yudice, G. (1992). Testimonio y concientización. Revista de crítica literaria latinoamericana, 211–232.
- Undocumented & Unafraid: The DREAM Act 5 and the Public Disclosure of Undocumented Status as a Political Act
The Urban Review
Volume 44, Issue 5 , pp 589-611
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Undocumented immigration
- Student activism
- Civil disobedience
- DREAM Act
- René Galindo (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Education & Human Development, University of Colorado at Denver, Campus Box 106, PO Box 173364, Denver, CO, 80217-3364, USA