Serotype identification and antimicrobial resistance profiles of Salmonella spp. isolated from chicken carcasses
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this study, 32 Salmonella strains isolated from 400 chicken carcasses were serotyped, and antibiotic resistance profiles were detected against 12 selected antimicrobial agents using disc diffusion method. Thirty-two isolates were identified as follows; 22 (68.7%) Salmonella Enteritidis, five (15.6%) Salmonella Virchow, three (9.3%) Salmonella Typhimurium and two (6.2%) Salmonella Hadar. In all Salmonella isolates, antibiotic resistance were detected. Out of 32 Salmonella strains, 22 (68.75%) displayed multi-drug resistance. Thirty-two (100.0%) of the isolates were found to be resistant to penicillin G, 20 (62.5%) to nalidixic acid, four (12.5%) to cephalothin, two (6.2%) to streptomycin and two (6.2%) to tetracycline. Fifteen (68.1%) Salmonella Enteritidis, one (33.3%) Salmonella Typhimurium, two (100.0%) Salmonella Hadar and two (40.0%) Salmonella Virchow were shown to be resistant to nalidixic acid. Cephalothin resistance was detected in 9.0%, 33.3%, and 20.0% for Salmonella Enteritidis, Salmonella Typhimurium and Salmonella Virchow, respectively. The results indicate that Salmonella recovered from chicken carcasses were resistant to multiple antimicrobials and that resistance among these isolates varies by serotype. Also, this emerged as a significant public health problem.
- Aksakal, A. (2003). The occurrence and prevalence Salmonella species in faeces of certain fowls and their susceptibility to antibiotics. Yuzuncu Yil University Journal of Vetrinary Medicine 14, 95–101.
- Anon (2006). CLSI (Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute). Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing. 16th Informational Supplement. Document M100-S16. Vol. 26 no 3. Wayne, Pennsylvania, USA.
- Anon (2009). Abbreviations of antimicrobial agents. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherphy 53, 1–23. CrossRef
- Bada-Alambedji, R., Fofana, A., Seydi, M., Akakpo, A.J. (2006). Antimicrobial resistance of Salmonella isolated from poultry carcasses in Dakar (Senegal). Brazilian Journal of Microbiology 37, 510–515. CrossRef
- Beli, E., Duraku, E., Telo, A. (2001). Salmonella serotypes isolated from chicken meat in Albania. International Journal of Food Microbiology 71, 263–266. CrossRef
- Berrang, M.E., Ladely, S.R., Simmons, M., Fletcher, D.L. & Fedorka-Cray, P.J. (2006) Antimicrobial resistance patterns of Salmonella from retail chicken. International Journal of Poultry Science 5, 351–354. CrossRef
- Capita, R., Alonso-Calleja, C., Prieto, M. (2007). Prevalence of Salmonella enterica serovars and genovars from chicken carcasses in slaughterhouses in Spain. Journal of Applied Microbiology 103, 1366–1375. CrossRef
- Cui, S. (2004). Detection and characterization of Escherichia coli O157:H7 and Salmonella in food. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Maryland.
- Erdem, B. (2001). 1998-2000 yıllarında serotiplendirilen Salmonella’lar. Infeksiyon Dergisi 15, 137–140.
- Erdem, B., Ercis, S., Hascelik, G., Gur, D., Aysev, A.D. (2005). Antimicrobial resistance of Salmonella enterica group C strains isolated from humans in Turkey, 2000-2002. International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents 26, 33–37. CrossRef
- Gareis, M. (1995). Salmonellen-ein überblick. Fleischwirtschaft 75, 954–957.
- Gay J.M., Rice D.H., Steiger J.H. (1994). Prevalence of faecal Salmonella shedding by cull dairy cattle marketed in Washington State. Journal of Food Protection 57, 195–197.
- Goncagul, G., Gunaydin, E., Carli, T. (2004). Antibiotic resistance of Salmonella Enteritidis of human and chicken origin. Turkish Journal of Veterinary and Animal Science 28, 911–914.
- Kilinc U., Aydin F. (2006). Antibiotic susceptibility of Salmonella spp. isolated chicken from poultry enterprises in Kayseri region. Journal of Health Science 15, 35–40.
- Kowalski, P., Konieczna, L. (2007). Determination of penicilin antibiotics in poultry muscle by capillary electrophoresis. Bulletin Veterinary Institute in Pulawy 51, 595–598.
- Molla, B., Mesfin, A., Alemayehu, D. (2003). Multiple antimicrobial-resistant Salmonella serotypes isolated from chicken carcass and giblets in Debre Zeit and Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Ethiopin Journal of Health Development 17, 131–149.
- Popoff, M.Y. (2001). Antigenic formulas of the Salmonella serovars. WHO Colaborating Centre for Reference and Research on Salmonella, Institute Pasteur, France.
- Poppe, C., Kolar, J.J., Demczuk, W.H.B., Harris, J.E. (1995). Drug resistance and biochemical characteristics of Salmonella from turkeys. Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research 59, 241–248.
- Sarimehmetoglu, B., Erol, I., Kululu, O., Ozdemir, H. (1996). Salmonella contamination and serovar distribution in poultry-processing plants. Ankara Universitesi Veteriner Fakultesi Dergisi 43, 85–90.
- Van Duijkeren, E., Houwers, D.J. (2000). A critical assessment of antimicrobial treatment in uncomplicated Salmonella Enteritis. Veterinary Microbiology 73, 61–75. CrossRef
- Wegner, H.C., Aarestrup, F.M., Gerner-Smidt, P., Bager, F. (1999). Transfer of antibiotic resistant bacteria from animals to man. Acta Veterinaria Scandinavica. Supplementum 92, 51–57.
- Willocks, L., Morgan, J.D., Sufi, F., Ward, L.R., Patrick, H.E. (1996). Salmonella Virchow PT 26 infection in England and Wales: a case control study investigating and increase in cases during 1994. Epidemiology and Infection 117, 35–41. CrossRef
- Zewdu, E., Cornelius, P. (2009). Antimicrobial resistance pattern of Salmonella serotypes isolated from food items and personnel in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Tropical Animal Health and Production 41, 241–249. CrossRef
- Serotype identification and antimicrobial resistance profiles of Salmonella spp. isolated from chicken carcasses
Tropical Animal Health and Production
Volume 42, Issue 5 , pp 893-897
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Chicken carcasses
- Serotype distribution
- Antibiotic resistance
- Disc diffusion
- Industry Sectors