Antibody seroprevalences against Peste des Petits Ruminants (PPR) virus in sheep and goats in Sudan
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Counter immnuo-electrophoresis (CIEP) and Competitive ELISA (C-ELISA) tests were employed for seroprevalence of Peste des Petits Ruminants (PPR) infection in Sudan. The result of both tests showed high prevalence of PPRV antibodies in sheep and goats sera collected from six different regions of Sudan. Of the 519 serum samples examined for the presence of PPRV antibodies 307(59.15%) were positive by CIEP while 263(50.67%) were positive by C-ELISA. CIEP technique was shown to be more sensitive than C-ELISA technique for detection of PPRV antibodies (Kappa statistics 0.259). C-ELISA allowed rapid, simple, specific, sensitive and differential sero-diagnosis of PPRV and RPV in sheep, goats and cattle. CIEP is, unlike competitive ELISA, is group-specific test and can not differentiate between PPR and RP infections. Despite its low specificity CIEP can be a useful indicative screening test for PPRV antibodies in flocks that neither been vaccinated nor otherwise exposed to PPR or RP virus. Results obtained suggest that CIEP, like the HI test, could be a useful screening test where it is not possible to use C-ELISA.
- Anderson, J. and McKay, J.A. (1994). The detection of antibodies against peste des petits ruminants virus in cattle, sheep and goats and the possible implication to rinderpest control programmes. Epidemiology and Infection, 112: 225-231. CrossRef
- Biological Diagnostic Supplies LTD (BDSL), Flow Laboratories and Institute for Animal Health, Pirbright, Surrey, England (2000). PPR competitive ELISA Kit. Competitive ELISA for detection of antibodies to P.P.R. virus. Developed in Collaboration with: The Animal Production and Health Section joint FAO/IAEA Division, IAEA, and the FAO/IAEA Central Laboratory for ELISA and molecular techniques in diagnosis of animal diseases, Vienna, Austria.
- Diallo, A. (2000). Peste des petits ruminants. In: OIE Manual of Standards for Diagnostic Tests and Vaccines, 4th edition. Chapter 2.1.5. Office international des Epizooties, Paris, pp. 114-122.
- Durojaiye, O.A. and Taylor, W.P. (1984). Application of countercurrent immuno-electro-osmo-phoresis to the serology of peste des petits ruminants. Revue d’Elevage et de Medecine Veterinaire des Pays Tropicaux, 37(3): 272-276.
- El Amin, M.A.G. and Hassan, A.M. (1999). Rinderpest and PPR surveillance in Sudan (1996-1998). In: The Sermonitoring and Surveillance of RP Throughout Africa-phase III. Results for 1998. Proceedings of a research co-ordination meeting of the FAO/IAEA/OAU/IBAR/PARC co-ordinated research project organized by the joint FAO/IAEA division of nuclear techniques in food and agriculture, Machakos, Kenya, April 26-30.
- Elhag Ali, B. and Lees, G.E. (1979). The application of immunoelectroprecipitation in the diagnosis of rinderpest. Bulletin of Animal Health and Production in Africa, 27: 1- 6.
- Haroun, M., Hajer, I., Mukhtar, M. and Ali, B.E. (2002). Detection of antibodies against peste des petits ruminants virus in sera of cattle, camels, sheep and goats in Sudan. Veterinary Research Communications, 26(7): 537-541. doi:10.1023/A:1020239515020 CrossRef
- Libeau, G., Diallo, A., Calvez, D. and Lefevre, P.C. (1992). A competitive ELISA using anti-N monoclonal antibodies for specific detection of rinderpest antibodies in cattle and small ruminants. Veterinary Microbiology, 31: 147-160. doi:10.1016/0378-1135(92)90073-3 CrossRef
- Libeau, G., Prehaud, C., Lancelot, R., Colas, F., Guerre, L., Bishop, D.H.L. and Diallo, A. (1995). Development of a competitive ELISA for detecting antibodies to the peste des petits ruminants virus using a recombinant nucleoprotein. Research in Veterinary Science, 58: 50-55. doi:10.1016/0034-5288(95)90088-8 CrossRef
- Majiyagbe, K.A., Nawathe, D.R. and Abegunde, A. (1984). Rapid diagnosis of peste des petits ruminants (PPR) infection, application of immunoelectroosmophoresis (IEOP) technique. Revue d’Elevage et de Medecine Veterinaire des Pays Tropicaux, 37(1): 11-15.
- Nussieba, A.O., Mahasin, E.A., Ali, A.S. and Fadol, M.A. (2008). Rapid detection of Peste des Petits Ruminants (PPR) virus antigen in Sudan by Agar Gel Precipitation (AGPT) and Haemagglutination (HA) Tests. Tropical Animal Health and Production, 40(5): 363-368. doi:10.1007/s11250-007-9106-1 CrossRef
- Obi, T.U. and Patrick, D. (1984). The detection of peste des petits ruminants (PPR) virus antigen by agar gel precipitation test and counter-immunoelectrophoresis. Journal of Hygiene, Cambridge, 93: 579-586. CrossRef
- Roeder, P.L., Abraham, G., Kenfe, G. and Barrett, T. (1994). Peste des petits ruminants in Ethiopian Goats. Tropical Animal Health and Production, 26: 69-73. doi:10.1007/BF02239901 CrossRef
- Singh, R.P., Sreenivasa, B.P., Dhar, P., Shah, L.C. and Bandyopadhyay, S.K. (2004). Development of a monoclonal antibody based competitive-ELISA for detection and titration of antibodies to peste des petits ruminants (PPR) virus. Veterinary Microbiology, 98: 3-15. doi:10.1016/j.vetmic.2003.07.007 CrossRef
- Antibody seroprevalences against Peste des Petits Ruminants (PPR) virus in sheep and goats in Sudan
Tropical Animal Health and Production
Volume 41, Issue 7 , pp 1449-1453
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Pathology, Parasitology and Microbiology, College of Veterinary Medicine & Animal Production, Sudan University of Science & Technology, P.O.Pox 204, Khartoum North, Sudan
- 2. Department of Preventive Medicine & Veterinary Public Health, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Khartoum, 13314, Khartoum North, Sudan
- 3. Department of Virology, Central Veterinary Research Laboratories, Soba, P.O.Pox 8067, Khartoum, Sudan
- 4. Viral Vaccine Production Unit, Central Veterinary Research Laboratories, Soba, P.O.Pox 8067, Khartoum, Sudan