A study on Contagious Caprine Pleuropneumonia (CCPP) in goats at an export oriented abattoir, Debrezeit, Ethiopia
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
300 goat serum samples from an export-oriented abattoir were tested for contagious caprine pleuropneumonia antibodies by the complement fixation test. The disease prevalence was 31% with no significant differences (P > 0.05) between the regions “Borena”, “Bale”, “Afar” and “Jinka” or the age of the goats (P > 0.05). Gross pathology and histopathology of the lung primary lesions were indicative of pleuropneumonia caused by Mycoplasma capricolum subsp. capripneumoniae.
- Abubakar, M.I., Elhassan, S.M., and Harbi, M.S., 1984. Clinico patholgocial studies and treatment trials of CCPP in Sudanese goats. Bulletin of Animal Health Production in Africa, 32(2), 153–158.
- Beyene, M.B., 2003. Epidemiology and sero surveillance of contagious caprine Pleuropneumonia (CCPP) in Diredawa Administrative Region (Ethiopia). (Unpublished DVM. Thesis, FVM. AAU. Debrezeit, Ethiopia.
- Black, F.T., 1973. Modification of the growth inhibition test and its application to human mycoplasma. Applied Microbiology, 25, 528–533.
- Bolton, D., Leach, R.H., Mitchelmore, D.L., and Rurangirwa, F.R., 1994. Serolgical specificity of a monoclonal antibody to Mycoplasma strain F38, the agent of contagious caprine pleuropneumonia. Veterinary Records, 134, 643–646.
- Dawit, K., 1996. Seroligcal and microbiological studies on major respiratory mycolasmosis of goats in Yabello (Range Lands of Borena (Ethiopia)). (Unpublished DVM. Thesis, AAU Debrezeit, Ethiopia)
- Dighero, M.W., Bradstreet, P.C.M., and Andrews, B.E., 1970. Dried paper discs for serological identification of human mycoplasmas. Journal of Applied Bacteriology, 33, 750–757.
- Edward, D.G.F., 1953. Organisms of the pleuropneumonia group causing disease in goats. Veterinary Record, 65, 873–875.
- FAO, 2005. Contagious caprine pleuropneumonia in Animal Health Disease Cards. Agriculture Department, Animal Production and Health Division. http://www.fao.org/ag/againfo/subjects/en/health/diseases-cards/ccpp.html
- Freundt, E.A., Erno, H., and Lemcke, R.M., 1979. Identification of mycoplasmas. In: Bergen, T. & Norris, J.R., (eds) Methods in Microbiology, Vol. 13. Academic Press, London, UK, 377–434.
- Gezahegn, M. (1993). Preliminary study of contagious caprine pleuropheumonia (CCPP) in selected sites of East Shoa (Ethiopia). (Unpublished DVM Thesis, FVM, AAU, Debrezeit Ethiopia).
- Hutcheon, D., 1889. Contagious pleuropneumonia in goats at Cape Colony, South Africa. Veterinary Journal, 29, 399–404.
- Jonas, A.M. and Barber, T.I., 1969. Mycoplasma mycoides var. capri isolated from a goat in Connecticut. Journal of Infectious Diseases, 119, 126–131.
- Jones, G.E., 1989. Contagious caprine pleuropneumonia. Technical Series — Office International des Epizooties, 9, 63 &132.
- Johnson, E.H., Muirhead, D.E., and King, G.J., 2002. Ultra-structural changes in caprine lungs infected with Mccp. Journal of Veterinary Medicine, 49, 206–208. CrossRef
- Kibor, A.C., 1990. Methods for the laboratory diagnosis of cantagious carprine pleuropneumonia (CCPP). In: Alton, G.G., Carter, G.R., Kibor, A.C., and Pesti, L., (eds) Veterinary Diagnostic Microbiology. A manual of laboratory procedures for selected diseases of livestock. Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations, Rome, Italy, 169–200.
- Laekemariam, Y., Tariku, S., Ayelet, G., and Roger, F., 2004. Respiratory mycoplasmosis of small ruminants in Ethiopia. Ethiopian Veterinary Journal, 8(2), 67–74.
- Leach, R.H., Erni, H., and MacOwan, K.J., 1993. Proposal for designation of F38-type caprine mycoplasmas as Mycoplasma capricolum subsp. capripneumoniae subsp. nov. and consequent obligatory relegation of strains currently classified as M. capricolum to an additional new subspecies M. capricolum subsp. capricolum subsp. nov. International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology, 43, 603–605. CrossRef
- Lefevre, P.C., Jone, G.E., and Ojo, M.O., 1987. Pulmonary mycoplasmosis of small ruminants. Revue Scientifique et Technique, Office International des ëpizooties, 6(3), 759–799.
- Luna, L.G., 1968. Manual of histopathologic staining methods of the armed forces. Institute of Pathology, 3rd ed. MacGraw Hill, New York.
- LHAU (2003) Generic HACCP model for abattoir (sheep, goats and cattle), Livestock Marketing Authority, Ministry of Health, Ministry of Agriculture and United Nations Industrial Development Organization, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- McMartin, D.A., MacOwan, K.J., and Swift, L.L., 1980. A century of classical contagious pleuropneumonia: From original description to etiology. British Veterinary Journal, 136, 507–515.
- MacOwan, K.J., 1976. A mycoplasma from chronic caprine pleuropneumonia in Kenya. Tropical Animal Health Production, 8, 28–36. CrossRef
- MacOwan, K.J., 1984. Role of mycoplasma strain F38 in contagious caprine pleuropneumonia. Israel Journal of Medical Sciences, 20(10), 979–981.
- MacOwan, K.J. and Minette, J.E., 1976. The role of mycoplasma strain F38 in CCPP in Kenya. Veterinary Record, 101, 380–382. CrossRef
- Mekonnen, L., 1996. Contagious caprine pleuro pneumonia (CCPP) study on economic significance and vaccine trials. (Unpublished DVM Thesis, FVM, AAU, Debrezeit, Ethiopia)
- MoA, 2003. Reported number of CCPP outbreaks between the year 1999 and 2003 by regional state, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Nicholas, R.A.J., 2002. Improvements in the diagnosis and control of diseases of small ruminants caused by mycoplasmas. Small Ruminant Research, 45, 145–149. CrossRef
- OIE, 1998. Manual of standards for Diagnostic Tests and Vaccine. Office international des Epizooties, France, 374–383.
- OIE, 2000. Manual of Standards for Diagnostic Tests and Vaccines. Contagious caprine pleuropneumonia, 4th ed. Paris, 503–514.
- Roger, F. and Zekarias, B., 1996. Contagious caprine pleuro pneumonia in Ethiopia: Laboratory investigation, station and field studies. Preliminary report No. 5035, CIRAD — EMVT.
- Sharew, A.D., Staak. C., Thiaucourt, F., and Roger, F., 2005. A serological investigation in to contagious caprine pleuropneumonia (CCPP) in Ethiopia. Tropical Animal Health and Production, 37(1), 3, 11–19. CrossRef
- Staak, C., Sakhow, F., and Denzin, N., 2001. Practical serology from the basics to the testing. Postgraduate studies in international animal health. Free University Berlin, 41–53.
- Teshome, F.Y., 1997. Epidemological survey of pestes des petitis Ruminants (PPR) and contagious caprine pleuropneumona (CCPP) in selected sites of Ethiopia. (Unpublished DVM Thesis, FVM, AAU, Debrezeit, Ethiopia).
- Wesonga, H.O., Litamoi, J.K., Kagumba, M., and Wakhusama, E., 1993. Relationship between clinical signs and early lesions of CCPP caused by Mycoplasma F. 38. Small Ruminants Research, 10, 45–54. CrossRef
- A study on Contagious Caprine Pleuropneumonia (CCPP) in goats at an export oriented abattoir, Debrezeit, Ethiopia
Tropical Animal Health and Production
Volume 39, Issue 6 , pp 427-432
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Faculty of Veterinary Sciences, Mekelle University, P.O.Box 3110, Mekelle, Ethiopia
- 2. Food and agricultural organization (FAO), Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- 3. Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Addis Ababa University, P.O.Box 34, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia