A Derivation of the Volume-Averaged Boussinesq Equations for Flow in Porous Media with Viscous Dissipation
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The volume-averaged equations are derived for convective flow in porous media. In the thermal energy equation viscous dissipation is taken into account, and a suitable form is obtained which is valid when Brinkman effects are significant.
- Al-Hadhrami, A. K., Elliott, L., Ingham, D. B. (2002) Combined free and forced convection in vertical channels of porous media. Transport Porous Media 49: pp. 265-289 CrossRef
- Al-Hadhrami, A. K., Elliott, , Ingham, D. B. (2003) A new model for viscous dissipation in porous media across a range of permeability values. Transport Porous Media 53: pp. 117-122 CrossRef
- Gray, W. G. (1975) A derivation of the equations for multi-phase transport. Chem. Engng. Sci. 30: pp. 229-233
- Ingham D. B. (2003) Governing equations for laminar flows through porous media: A new look at viscous dissipation, NATO ASI Proceedings Vol 134, Emerging Technologies and Techniques in Porous Media, Chapter 1.
- Ingham, D. B., Pop, I., Cheng, P. (1990) Combined free and forced convection in a porous medium between two vertical walls with viscous dissipation. Transport Porous Media 5: pp. 381-398 CrossRef
- MacDonald, I. F., El-Sayed, M. S., Mow, K., Dulien, F. A. L. (1979) Flow through porous media: the Ergun equation revisited. Ind. Engng. Chem. 18: pp. 199-208
- Magyari E., Rees D. A. S. and Keller B. (2005) Effect of viscous dissipation on the flow in fluid-saturated porous media, To appear in K. Vafai (ed.), Handbook of Porous Media II.
- Nield, D. A. (2000) Resolution of a paradox involving viscous dissipation and nonlinear drag and a porous medium. Transport Porous Media 41: pp. 349-357 CrossRef
- Nield, D., Kuznetsov, A. V., Xiong, M. (2004) Effects of viscous dissipation and flow work on forced convection in a channel filled by a saturated porous medium. Transport Porous Media 56: pp. 351-367 CrossRef
- Quintard, M., Whitaker, S. (1994) Transport in ordered and disordered porous media II: generalized volume averaging. Transport Porous Media 14: pp. 179-206
- Rees D. A. S. (2004) Convection in a sidewall-heated porous cavity in the presence of viscous dissipation, Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Applications of Porous Media. Evora, 231–236.
- Wang, H., Takle, E. S. (1995) Boundary-layer flow and turbulence near porous obstacles. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 74: pp. 73-88 CrossRef
- Whitaker, S. (1969) Advances in theory of fluid motion in porous media. Ind. Engng. Chem. 61: pp. 14-28 CrossRef
- Whitaker, S. (1996) The Forchheimer equation: a theoretical development. Transport Porous Media 25: pp. 27-61 CrossRef
- Whitaker, S. (1999) The Method of Volume Averaging. Kluwer, Dordrecht
- A Derivation of the Volume-Averaged Boussinesq Equations for Flow in Porous Media with Viscous Dissipation
Transport in Porous Media
Volume 63, Issue 1 , pp 1-12
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- viscous dissipation
- convective flows
- Brinkman terms
- volume averaging
- Industry Sectors