Design, Implementation and Evaluation of a Real-Time Active Content Distribution Service
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The phenomenal growth of the world-wide web has made it the most popular Internet application today. Web caching and content distribution services have been recognized as valuable techniques to mitigate the explosion of web traffic. An increasing fraction of web traffic today is dynamically generated and therefore intrinsically difficult to replicate or cache using present static approaches. Scalable delivery of such active content poses a myriad of challenges, including content replication, update propagation, and consistency management. This paper makes two contributions: it (1) describes a scalable architecture for transparent demand-driven distribution of active content; and (2) presents a system that can provide real-time delay guarantees on content access. Our approach involves migrating the scripts which generate dynamic web traffic, and their data, from the origin servers to active content distribution proxies nearest to the clients. We also present mechanisms on these proxies to enforce real-time delay guarantees for client requests. Our system is implemented and deployed on Planetlab (2004), a real-world distributed Internet testbed. Experimental data show that significant improvements are observed in effective throughput and client response time, and that delay bounds on content access can be guaranteed with a very high probability.
- Akamai. 2004. Akamai Technologies: http://www.akamai.com..
- Apache. 2004. Apache HTTP Server: http://httpd.apache.org/s..
- Barford, P., and Crovella, M. 1998. Generating representative web workloads for network and server Performance evaluation. In ACM SIGMETRICS ‘98.
- Beck, M., Moore, T., Abrahamsson, L., Achouiantz, C., and Johansson, P. 2001. Enabling full service surrogates using the portable channel representation. In International World Wide Web Conference.
- Calo, S., and Verma, D. 2002. An architecture for acceleration of large scale distributed web applications.
- Candan, K. S., Li, W.-S., Luo, Q., Hsiung, W.-P., and Agrawal, D. 2001. Enabling dynamic content caching for database-driven web sites. In Proceedings of the 2001 ACM SIGMOD international conference on Management of Data on Management of Data.
- Cao, P., and Irani, S. 1997. Cost-aware WWW proxy caching algorithms. In USENIX Symposium on Internet Technologies and Systems.
- Cao, P., Zhang, J., and Beach, K. 1998. Active Cache: Caching dynamic contents on the web. In Proceedings of the IFIP International Conference on Distributed Systems Platforms and Open Distributed Processing (Middleware ‘98).
- Challenger, J., Dantzig, P., and Iyengar, A. 1999. A scalable system for consistently caching dynamic web data. In Proceedings of the 18th Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies. New York.
- Chankhunthod, A., Danzig, P. B., Neerdaels, C., Schwartz, M. F., and Worrell, K. J. 1996. A hierarchical internet object cache. In USENIX Annual Technical Conference. pp. 153–164.
- Coarfa, C., Druschel, P., and Wallach, D. S. 2002. Performance analysis of TLS web servers. In Network and Distributed Systems Security Symposium.
- Douglis, F., Haro, A., and Rabinovich, M. 1997. HPP: HTML Macro-preprocessing to support dynamic document caching. In USENIX Symposium on Internet Technologies and Systems.
- ESI, 2002. Edge Side Includes: http://www.esi.org..
- Gettys, J., Mogul, J., Frystyk, H., Masinter, L., Leach, P., and Berners-Lee, T. 1999. HyperText transfer protocol-HTTP/1.1.
- Goldberg, A., Buff, R., and Schmitt, A. 1998. Secure web server performance dramatically improved by caching SSL session keys. In the Workshop on Internet Server Performance.
- Holmedahl, V., Smith, B., and Yang, T. 1998. Cooperative caching of dynamic content on a distributed web server. In Proceedings of Seventh IEEE International Symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing (HPDC-7), pp. 243–250.
- Huang, C., and Abdelzaher, T. 2004. Towards content distribution networks with latency guarantees. In in The 12th IEEE International Workshop on Quality of Service (IWQoS 2004).
- Iyengar, A., and Challenger, J. 1997. Improving web server performance by caching dynamic data. In USENIX Symposium on Internet Technologies and Systems.
- Lesniewski-Lass, C., and Kaashoek, M. F. 2003. SSL splitting: Securely serving data from untrusted caches. In USENIX Security.
- Mazieres, D., and Kaashoek, M. F. 1998. Escaping the evils of centralized control with self-certifying pathnames. In ACM SIGOPS European Workshop.
- Myers, A., Chuang, J., Hengartner, U., Xie, Y., Zhuang, W., and Zhang, H. 2001. A secure, publisher-centic web caching infrastructure. In IEEE INFOCOM.
- Nahum, E., Rosu, M., Seshan, S., and Almeida, J. 2001. The effects of wide-area conditions on WWW server performance. In ACM SIGMETRICS.
- NISTNet. 2002, http://snad.ncsl.nist.gov/itg/nistnet/..
- Pai, V. S., Wang, L., Park, K., Pang, R., and Peterson, L. 2003. The dark side of the Web: An open proxy’s view. In The Second Workshop on Hot Topics in Networking (HotNets-II).
- PlanetLab: 2004, http://www.planet-lab.org..
- Rabinovich, M., Xiao, Z., and Aggarwal, A. 2003a. Computing on the edge: A platform for replicating internet applications. In The 8th International Web Caching Workshop and Content Delivery Workshop (WCW’03).
- Rabinovich, M., Xiao, Z., and Douglis, F. 2003b. Moving edge-side includes to the real edge–the clients. In The 4th USNIX Symposium on Internet Technologies and Systems.
- Rajamani, K., and Cox, A. 2000. A simple and effective caching scheme for dynamic content. Technical Report TR-00-371, Computer Science Dept. Rice University.
- Smith, B., Acharya, A., Yang, T., and Zhu, H. 1999. Exploiting result equivalence in caching dynamic web content. In USENIX Symposium on Internet Technologies and Systems.
- Squid. 2004. Squid Web Proxy Cache: http://www.squid-cache.org/..
- Wolman, A., Voelker, G. M., Sharma, N., Cardwell, N. Karlin, A. R., and Levy, H. M. 1999. On the scale and performance of cooperative Web proxy caching. In Symposium on Operating Systems Principles. pp. 16–31.
- Yu, H., Breslau, L., and Shenker, S. 1999. A scalable web cache consistency architecture. In SIGCOMM, pp. 163–174.
- Yuan, C., Hua, Z., and Zhang, Z. 2003. Proxy+: Simple proxy augmentation for dynamic content processing. In The 8th International Web Caching Workshop and Content Delivery Workshop (WCW’03).
- Zhu, H., and T. Yang: 2001. Class-based cache management for dynamic web contents. In IEEE INFOCOM.
- Design, Implementation and Evaluation of a Real-Time Active Content Distribution Service
Volume 30, Issue 1-2 , pp 31-53
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- content distribution
- active web content
- Industry Sectors