Elicitor-enhanced production of gymnemic acid in cell suspension cultures of Gymnema sylvestre R. Br.
- V. VeerashreeAffiliated withDepartment of Biochemistry, Kuvempu University-P.G. Centre (Davangere University) Shivagangothri
- , C. M. AnuradhaAffiliated withDepartment of Biotechnology, Sri Krishnadevaraya University
- , Vadlapudi KumarAffiliated withDepartment of Biochemistry, Kuvempu University-P.G. Centre (Davangere University) Shivagangothri Email author
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Cell suspension cultures of Gymnema sylvestre treated with four different elicitors, methyl jasmonate (MJ), yeast extract, chitin and pectin were studied for the production of gymnemic acid as gymnemagenin equivalent, that was analyzed by high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC). All the four tested elicitors induced gymnemic acid production in cell suspension cultures. Highest gymnemic acid content was achieved following treatment with yeast extract (100.47 ± 0.28 mg/l), this was followed by MJ (70.43 ± 0.26 mg/l), pectin (64.19 ± 0.23 mg/l) and chitin (62.72 ± 0.13 mg/l). The addition of elicitors has shown a significant influence on cell growth that affected cell growth compared to respective controls. The highest gymnemic acid production was obtained after 20 days of elicitation in cultures treated with 0.5 g l−l yeast extract, it was 5.25-folds greater than in control. These results suggest that the addition of an elicitor to Gymnema sylvestre cell suspension cultures could stimulate and enhance gymnemic acid production. In our present study we could able to overproduce gymnemic acid up to 51.97 ± 0.26 mg l−l (dry weight basis) in yeast extract treated cell suspension cultures.
KeywordsGymnema sylvestre Elicitor Methyl jasmonate Gymnemagenin HPLC
- Elicitor-enhanced production of gymnemic acid in cell suspension cultures of Gymnema sylvestre R. Br.
Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture (PCTOC)
Volume 108, Issue 1 , pp 27-35
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Gymnema sylvestre
- Methyl jasmonate
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Biochemistry, Kuvempu University-P.G. Centre (Davangere University) Shivagangothri, Tholahunase, Davangere, 577 002, Karnataka, India
- 2. Department of Biotechnology, Sri Krishnadevaraya University, Anantapur, 515 003, India