New Anticoagulants: Anti IIa vs Anti Xa—Is One Better?
- Kenneth A. Bauer MD
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Traditional anticoagulant drugs, including unfractionated heparin and warfarin, have several limitations. A new strategy for the design of new antithrombotic drugs is based on selective inhibition of a specific coagulation factor. These include direct thrombin inhibitors and factor Xa inhibitors. Two parenteral direct thrombin inhibitors, lepirudin and argatroban, have FDA approval for the management of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia. Ximelagatran, an oral prodrug of the direct thrombin inhibitor melagatran, has shown efficacy in the prevention and treatment of venous thromboembolism as well as stroke prevention in patients with atrial fibrillation. Fondaparinux is a synthetic pentasaccharide, which binds to antithrombin, thereby indirectly selectively inhibiting factor Xa. Fondaparinux has demonstrated its efficacy compared to low-molecular-weight heparin in randomized clinical trials and is FDA approved for the prevention and treatment of venous thromboembolism. A number of oral direct factor Xa inhibitors as well as other oral direct thrombin inhibitors are in clinical development for the prevention and treatment of thrombosis.
- Francis, CW, Berkowitz, SD, Comp, PC (2003) Comparison of ximelagatran and warfarin for the prevention of venous thromboembolism after total knee replacement. N Engl J Med 349: pp. 1703-1712 CrossRef
- Colwell, CW, Berkowitz, SD, Lieberman, JR (2005) Oral direct thrombin inhibitor ximelagatran compared with warfarin for the prevention of venous thromboembolism after total knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am 87: pp. 2169-2177 CrossRef
- Feissinger J-N, Huisman MV, Davidson BL, et al for the THRIVE Treatment Study Investigators. Ximelagatran vs low-molecular-weight heparin and warfarin for the treatment of deep vein thrombosis: a randomized trial. JAMA 2005;293:681–689.
- Schulman, S, Wählander, K, Lundström, (2003) Secondary prevention of venous thromboembolism with the oral direct thrombin inhibitor ximelagatran. N Engl J Med 349: pp. 1713-1721
- Weitz, JI, Hirsh, J, Samama, MM (2004) New anticoagulant drugs. The Seventh ACCP Conference on antithrombotic and thrombolytic therapy. Chest 126: pp. 265S-286S CrossRef
- Petitou, M, Lormeau, JC, Choay, J (1991) Chemical synthesis of glycosaminoglycans: new approaches to antithrombotic drugs. Nature 350: pp. 30-33
- Herbert, JM, Petitou, M, Lormeau, JC (1997) SR 90107/Org 31540, a novel anti-factor Xa antithrombotic agent. Cardiovasc Drug Rev 15: pp. 1-26
- Lassen, MR, Bauer, KA, Eriksson, BI (2002) Postoperative fondaparinux versus preoperative enoxaparin for prevention of venous thromboembolism in elective hip-replacement surgery: a randomised double-blind comparison. Lancet 359: pp. 1715-1720 CrossRef
- Turpie, AGG, Bauer, KA, Eriksson, BI (2002) Postoperative fondaparinux versus postoperative enoxaparin for prevention of venous thromboembolism after elective hip-replacement surgery: a randomised double-blind trial. Lancet 359: pp. 1721-1726 CrossRef
- Bauer, KA, Eriksson, BI, Lassen, MR (2001) Fondaparinux compared with enoxaparin for the prevention of venous thromboembolism after elective major knee surgery. N Engl J Med 345: pp. 1305-1310 CrossRef
- Eriksson, BI, Bauer, KA, Lassen, MR (2001) Fondaparinux compared with enoxaparin for the prevention of venous thromboembolism after hip-fracture surgery. N Engl J Med. 345: pp. 1298-1304 CrossRef
- Turpie, AGG, Bauer, KA, Eriksson, BI (2002) Fondaparinux versus enoxaparin for the prevention of venous thromboembolism in major orthopedic surgery. A meta-analysis of 4 randomized studies. Arch Intern Med 162: pp. 1833-1840 CrossRef
- Eriksson, BI, Lassen, MR (2003) Duration of Prophylaxis against thromboembolism with fondaparinux after hip fracture surgery: A mulicenter, randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study. Arch Intern Med 163: pp. 1337-1342
- Agnelli G, Bergqvist D, Cohen AT, et al., on behalf of the PEGASUS investigators. Randomized clinical trial of postoperative fondaparinux versus perioperative dalteparin for prevention of venous thromboembolism in high-risk abdominal surgery. Br J Surgery 2005;92:1212–1226.
- Buller, HR, Davidson, BL, Decousus, H (2004) Fondaparinux or enoxaparin for the initial treatment of symptomatic deep venous thrombosis: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 140: pp. 867-873
- Subcutaneous fondaparinux versus intravenous unfractionated heparin in the initial treatment of pulmonary embolism. N Engl J Med. 349: pp. 1695-1702 CrossRef
- New Anticoagulants: Anti IIa vs Anti Xa—Is One Better?
Journal of Thrombosis and Thrombolysis
Volume 21, Issue 1 , pp 67-72
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- venous thromboembolism
- factor Xa
- Industry Sectors
- Kenneth A. Bauer MD (1) (2)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. VA Boston Healthcare System and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts
- 2. VA Boston Healthcare System, 1400 VFW Parkway, West Roxbury, MA, 02132