Uplink energy efficiency analysis for two-tier cellular access networks using kernel function
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper, the uplink energy efficiency and uplink outage probability for two-tier cellular access networks (TTCANs) are investigated. To model of the uplink energy efficiency and uplink outage probability in TTCANs, a closed-form expression of signal-to-interference ratio (SIR) is derived by considering the on/off states of femtocell access points (APs). Moreover, a second order kernel function is firstly used to solve the analytical interference model with femtocell APs turning on in TTCANs. Simulation results show that femtocell user’s intensity has great impact on the uplink energy efficiency and uplink outage probability in a TTCAN. These results provide some guidelines for developing new energy saving schemes in practical TTCANs deployment.
- Chandrasekhar, V., Andrews, J. G., & Gatherer, A. (2008). Femtocell networks: a survey. IEEE Communications Magazine, 46(9), 59–67. CrossRef
- Badic, B., O’Farrell, T., Loskot, P., & He, J. (2009). Energy efficient radio access architectures for green radio: large versus small cell size deployment. In IEEE 70th vehicular technology conference fall 2009, Anchorage, Alaska, USA, Sept. 2009.
- Marsan, M. A., Chiaraviglio, L., Ciullo, D., & Meo, M. (2009). Optimal energy savings in cellular access networks. In IEEE international conference on communications workshops 2009, Dresden, Germany, June, 2009.
- Ho, L. T. W., & Claussen, H. (2007). Effects of user-deployed, co-channel femtocells on the call drop probability in a residential scenario. In IEEE 18th international symposium on personal, indoor and mobile radio communications 2007, Sept. 2007.
- Akhtman, J., & Hanzo, L. (2009). Power versus bandwidth efficiency in wireless communication: The economic perspective. In IEEE proc. conf. veh. technol., Sept. 2009.
- Miao, G. W., Himayat, N., Li, Y. G., & Swami, A. (2009). Cross-layer optimization for energy-efficient wireless communications: a survey. Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing, 9(4), 529–542. CrossRef
- Richter, F., Fehske, A. J., & Fettweis, G. P. (2009). Energy efficiency aspects of base station deployment strategies for cellular networks. In IEEE proc. conf. GlobeCom., Nov. 2009.
- Meshkati, F., Poor, V., & Schwartz, S. (2007). Energy-efficient resource allocation in wireless networks. IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, 24(3), 58–68. CrossRef
- Ge, X., Cao, C., Jo, M., Chen, M., Hu, J., & Humar, I. (2010). Energy efficiency modelling and analyzing based on multi-cell and multi-antenna cellular networks. KSII Transactions on Internet and Information Systems, 4(4), 560–574.
- Chandrasekhar, V., & Andrews, J. G. (2009). Uplink capacity and interference avoidance for two-tier femtocell networks. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, 8(7), 3498–3509. CrossRef
- Chandrasekhar, V., Andrews, J. G., Muharemovic, T., Shen, Z., & Gatherer, A. (2009). Power control in two-tier femtocell networks. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, 8(8), 4316–4328. CrossRef
- Chandrasekhar, V., Kountouris, M., & Andrews, J. G. (2009). Coverage in multi-antenna two-tier networks. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, 8(10), 5314–5327. CrossRef
- Fengming, C., & Zhong, F. (2010). The tradeoff between energy efficiency and system performance of femtocell deployment. In 7th International symposium on wireless communication systems (ISWCS) 2010.
- Sahin, M.E., Guvenc, I., Moo-Ryong, J., & Arslan, H. (2009). Handling CCI and ICI in OFDMA femtocell networks through frequency scheduling. IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, 55(4), 1936–1944. CrossRef
- Taeyoung, L., Hyuntai, K., Jinhyun, P., & Jitae, S. (2010). An efficient resource allocation in OFDMA femtocells networks. In IEEE 72nd vehicular technology conference fall (VTC-2010-Fall), 2010.
- Lee, J., Bae, S., Kwon, Y., & Chung, M. (2011). Interference analysis for femtocell deployment in OFDMA systems based on fractional frequency reuse. IEEE Communications Letters, 8(99), 1–3.
- Ying, H., & Laurenson, D. I. (2010). Energy efficiency of high QoS heterogeneous wireless communication network. In IEEE 72nd vehicular technology conference fall (VTC 2010-Fall) 2010.
- Kan, Z., Fanglong, H., Lei, L., & Wenbo, W. (2010). Interference coordination between femtocells in LTE-advanced networks with carrier aggregation. In 5th International ICST conference on communications and networking in China (CHINACOM), 2010.
- Simon, M. K., & Alouini, M. S. (2000). Digital communication over fading channels: a unified approach to performance analysis. New York: Wiley. CrossRef
- Goldsmith, A. (2005). Wireless communications. New York: Cambridge University Press. CrossRef
- Shin, E. J., & Chan, V. W. S. (2002). Optical communication over the turbulent atmospheric channel using spatial diversity. In IEEE GLOBECOM, Nov. 2002.
- Schwartz, S. C., & Yeh, Y. S. (1982). On the distribution function and moments of power sums with log-normal components. The Bell System Technical Journal, 61(7), 1441–1462.
- Uplink energy efficiency analysis for two-tier cellular access networks using kernel function
Volume 52, Issue 2 , pp 1305-1312
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Energy efficiency
- Kernel function
- Signal-to-interference ratio
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Electronics and Information Engineering, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, 430074, China
- 2. School of Computer Science and Engineering, Seoul National University, 151-744, Seoul, Korea
- 3. College of Information and Communication, Korea University, #208 A-San Science Building, Anam-Dong5-Ga, Sungbuk-Gu, Seoul, 136-701, South Korea