Cross-layer design of P2P file sharing over mobile ad hoc networks
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Peer-to-peer file sharing over mobile ad hoc networks (MANET) has become a popular application due to the rapid growing number of mobile devices. However, the fact that mobile nodes in a MANET dynamically alter their locations and join/leave the P2P system has posted many challenges in designing a robust and scalable P2P system. Although, in the literature, flooding-based P2P approach has been shown to be robust in a highly dynamic network, it leads to poor efficiency in terms of bandwidth usage and scalability. A new design is required in which cross-layer designs and cognitive approaches could be applied such that it could interact with the requests of users and respond to dynamic change of network topology. In this paper, we propose an efficient and scalable P2P file sharing system over MANET based on Swarm Intelligence, referred to as P2PSI. By applying the cognitive behaviour of the real ant colonies, P2PSI owns the capability of adaptive learning of routing path and is able to cope with mobility problem without flooding. Moreover, P2PSI also adopts cross-layer design to reduce the redundant message overhead and query latency. Performance of P2PSI is evaluated and compared to two existing cross-layer design service discovery protocols through simulations. Our simulation results show that P2PSI achieves better performance in terms of control overhead and request success ratio.
- The Napster home page. http://www.napster.com.
- Gnutella protocol specification v0.4. http://www9.limewire.com/developer/gnutella_protocol_0.4.pdf.
- Ratnasamy, S., Francis, P., Handley, M., Karp, R., & Shenker, S. (2001). A scalable content-addressable network. In Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM (pp. 161–172), Aug. 2001.
- Stoica, I., Morris, R., Karger, D., Kaashoek, M., & Balakrishnan, H. (2001). Chord: A scalable peer-to-peer lookup service for Internet applications. In Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM (pp. 149–160), Aug. 2001.
- Rowstron, A., & Druschel, P. (2001). Pastry: Scalable, decentralized object location, and routing for large-scale peer-to-peer systems. In Proceedings of ACM international conference on distributed systems platforms (pp. 329–350), Jan. 2001.
- Klemm, A., Lindemann, C., & Waldhorst, O. (2003). A special-purpose peer-to-peer file sharing system for mobile ad hoc networks. In Proceedings of IEEE semiannual vehicular technology conference (pp. 2758–2763), Oct. 2003.
- Rajagopalan, S., & Shen, C. C. (2005). ANSI: A unicast routing protocol for mobile ad hoc networks using swarm intelligence. In Proceedings of the ICAI (pp. 104–110), Jun. 2005.
- Gunes, M., Sorges, U., & Bouazizi, I. (2002). ARA-the ant-colony based routing algorithm for MANETs. In Proceedings of IEEE international conference on parallel processing (ICPP) workshop, (vol. 1, pp. 28–30, 79–85), Aug. 2002.
- Ding, G., & Bhargava, B. (2004). Peer-to-peer file-sharing over mobile ad hoc networks. In Proceedings of 2nd IEEE annual conference on pervasive computing and communications workshops (pp. 104–108), Mar. 2004.
- Varshavsky, A., Reid, B., & de Lara, E. (2005). A cross-layer approach to service discovery and selection in MANETs. In Proceedings of IEEE mobile ad hoc and sensor systems conference (pp. 459–466), Nov. 2005.
- Porter, R., & Shoham, Y. (2004). Addressing the free-rider problem in file-sharing systems: A mechanism-design approach. In Proceedings of 5th ACM conference on electronic commerce (2004).
- Adar, E., & Huberman, B. A. (2000). Free riding on gnutella. Technical report, Xerox PARC, August 2000.
- Bonabeau, E., Dorigo, M., & Theraulaz, G. (1999). Swarm intelligence: From natural to artificial systems. London: Oxford University Press.
- Papadopouli, M., & Schulzrinne, H. (2001). Effects of power conservation, wireless coverage and cooperation on data dissemination among mobile devices. In Proceedings of ACM SIGMOBILE symposium on mobile ad hoc networking & computing (pp. 117–127), Oct. 2001.
- Lau, G., Jaseemuddin, M., & Ravindran, G. (2005). RAON: A P2P network for MANET. In Proceedings of 2nd IEEE international conference on wireless and optical communications networks (pp. 316–322), Mar. 2005.
- Wang, C. Y., Li, C. Y., Hwang, R. H., & Chen, Y. S. (2005). Global connectivity for mobile IPv6-based ad hoc networks. In Proceedings of 19th IEEE international conference on advanced information networking and applications (pp. 807–812), Mar. 2005.
- Li, C. F., Hwang, R. H., & Wang, C. Y. (2005). A location-aware P2P information sharing system in bluetooth-based mobile ad hoc network. In Proceedings of IEEE international conference on wireless networks, communications, and mobile computing (pp. 1011–1016), Jun. 2005.
- García-Macías, J. A., & Torres, D. A. (2005). Service discovery in mobile ad-hoc networks: Better at the network layer? In Proceedings of IEEE international conference on parallel processing (ICPP) workshops (pp. 452–457), Jun. 2005.
- Perkins, C. E., Belding-Royer, E. M., & Das, S. R. (2003). Ad hoc on-demand distance vector (AODV) routing. IETF RFC 3561, Jul. 2003.
- Broch, J., Johnson, D. B., & Maltz, D. A. (2003). The dynamic source routing. Protocol for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks, IETF Internet draft, draft-ietf-manet-dsr-09.txt, Apr. 2003.
- Perkins, C. E., & Bhagwat, P. (1994). Highly dynamic destination-sequenced distance-vector routing (DSDV) for mobile computers. Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM, 24(2), 234–244. CrossRef
- Iamnitchi, A., Ripenau, M., & Foster, I. (2004). Small-world file-sharing communities. In Proceedings of 23rd IEEE conference on communications society (INFCOM) (pp. 952–963), Mar. 2004.
- Bloom, B. H. (1970). Space/time trade-offs in hash coding with allowable errors. Communications of ACM (pp. 422–426), Jul. 1970.
- Scalable Network Technologies, Inc. http://www.scalable-networks.com.
- Camp, T., Boleng, J., & Davies, V. (2002). A survey of mobility models for ad hoc network research. Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing (WCMC), 2(5), 483–502. CrossRef
- Zipf, G. K. (1949). Human behavior and the principle of least effort: An introduction to human ecology. Cambridge: Addison-Wesley.
- Breslau, L., Cue, P., Fan, L., Phillips, G., & Shenker, S. (1999). Web caching and zipf-like distributions: Evidence and implications. In Proceedings of 23rd IEEE conference on communications society (INFCOM) (pp. 126–134), Mar. 1999.
- Cross-layer design of P2P file sharing over mobile ad hoc networks
Volume 42, Issue 1-2 , pp 47-61
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Cognitive network
- Swarm intelligence
- File sharing
- Industry Sectors