Packet Delay Analysis of Symmetric Gated Polling System for DBA Scheme in an EPON
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper, we analyze the mean packet delay of a dynamic bandwidth allocation (DBA) scheme in an Ethernet passive optical network (EPON). We propose the interleaved polling system with a gated service discipline and a two-stage queue in order to investigate the delay performance of DBA scheme in an EPON. We assume that input packets arrive at an optical network unit (ONU) according to a Poisson process from several types of users. We use a continuous time queueing model in order to find the mean packet delay and the mean cycle time of an arbitrary packet. We obtain the closed form solution for the mean packet delay of the proposed gated polling system with a two-stage queue. We obtain another result on the mean packet delay by solving a system of linear equations derived from the moments of the queue length distribution. We give some numerical results to investigate the delay performances for the symmetric polling system with statistically identical stations. In addition, we compare numerical results on the closed form solution with numerical results on a system of linear equations.
- H. Frazier and G. Pesavento, Ethernet takes on the first mile, Networking (July/August 2001 IT Pro),1–5.
- G. Kramer and B. Mukherjee, Interleaved polling withadaptive cycle time (IPACT): Protocol design and performanceanalysis, Tech, rep. CSE-2001-4, Dept. of Comp. Sci. (UC Davis, Aug 2001).
- G. Kramer, B. Mukherjee and G. Pesavento, Ethernet PON(e PON): Design and analysis of an optical accessnetwork, Phot. Net. Commun. 3 (2001) 307–319.
- G. Kramer, B. Mukherjee and G. Pesavento, Interleaved polling with adaptive cycle time (IPACT): A dynamicbandwidth distributin scheme in an optical access network, Phot. Net. Commun. 4 (2002) 89–107.
- G. Kramer, B. Mukherjee and G. Pesavento, Supporting differentiated classes of services in Ethernet passive optical networks, J. of Optical Networking 1 (2002) 280–290.
- All Optic, Ethernet passive optical networks, The International Engineering Consortium, Web Pro Forum Tutorials, http://www.iec.org (2001) 1–30.
- C.G. Park, D.H. Han, Y. Lee and B. Kim, Delay Analysis of Gated Polling Algorithm for DBA schemein: an EPON, in: 9th WSEAS International Conference on Communications, (Athens, Greece, 2005).
- D. Sala and A. Gummalla, PON functional requirements: Services and performance, Presentedat the IEEE 802.ah meeting in Poland, Ore, (2001).
- H. Tagaki, Analysis of Polling Systems (The MIT Press Series, 1986).
- Packet Delay Analysis of Symmetric Gated Polling System for DBA Scheme in an EPON
Volume 30, Issue 1-3 , pp 13-34
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- gated polling
- packet delay
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Information and Communications Engineering, Sunmoon University, Korea
- 2. Department of Mathematics, Sunmoon University, Korea
- 3. Department of Knowledge and Industrial Engineering, Sunmoon University, Korea