Monocotylids (Monogenea: Monopisthocotylea) from Aetobatus cf. narinari off New Caledonia, with a description of Decacotyle elpora n. sp.
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Four species of monocotylid monogeneans were found on a spotted eagle ray Aetobatus cf. narinari caught off Nouméa, New Caledonia, South Pacific. The host is illustrated for future possible identification, because it belongs to a currently unresolved species complex. Decacotyle octona (Young, 1967) Chisholm & Whittington, 1998, from the secondary gill lamellae, is figured and previously unreported details of the reproductive system are described. D. elpora n. sp. is described from numerous specimens found between the secondary gill lamellae. The new species, 7801650 μm in body length, is smaller than D. octona, but has a longer sclerotised male copulatory organ. It is characterised by two dorsal haptoral accessory structures, each with three bumps, and a 9-shaped sclerotised male copulatory organ 240290 μm in length. D. octona and Clemacotyle australis Young, 1967, both from the branchial cavity, and Thaumatocotyle pseudodasybatis Hargis, 1955, from the nasal tissue, are new geographical records for New Caledonia. It is suggested that differences in the monocotylid fauna between the Atlantic and Indo-Pacific forms of Aetobatus cf. narinari could be of interest for the systematic status of the ray, but the sporadic nature of the sampling probably casts doubt on the usefulness of the currently available data.
- Beverley-Burton, M., Whittington, I. D. (1995) Clemacotyle australis (Monogenea: Monocotylidae) from the white-spotted eagle ray Aetobatus narinari (Rajiformes: Myliobatididae) on the Great Barrier Reef: redescription, emended generic diagnosis, and oncomiracidium. Journal of Parasitology 81: pp. 616-625
- Chisholm, L. A., Wheeler, T. A., Beverley-Burton, M. (1995) A phylogenetic analysis and revised classification of the Monocotylidae Taschenberg, 1879 (Monogenea). Systematic Parasitology 32: pp. 159-191
- Chisholm, L. A., Whittington, I. D. (1998) Revision of Decacotylinae Chisholm, Wheeler & Beverley Burton, 1995 (Monogenea: Monocotylidae), including the synonymy of Papillicotyle Young, 1967 with Decacotyle Young, 1967 and a description of a new species from Australia. Systematic Parasitology 41: pp. 920
- Chisholm, L. A., Whittington, I. D. (1999) A revision of the Merizocotylinae Johnston and Tiegs, 1922 (Monogenea: Monocotylidae) with descriptions of new species of Empruthotrema Johnston and Tiegs, 1922 and Merizocotyle Cerfontaine, 1894. Journal of Natural History 33: pp. 128
- Chisholm, L. A., Whittington, I. D. (2004) Two new species of Dendromonocotyle Hargis, 1955 (Monogenea: Monocotylidae) from the skin of Taeniura meyeni (Dasyatidae) and Aetobatus narinari (Myliobatidae) from aquaria in Queensland, Australia. Systematic Parasitology 57: pp. 221-228
- Compagno, L. J. V., Last, P. R. Myliobatidae Eaglerays. In: Carpenter, K.E., Niem, V.H. eds. (1999) FAO species identification guide for fishery purposes. The living marine resources of the Western Central Pacific. Volume 3. Batoid fishes, chimaeras and bony fishes, Part 1 (Elopidae to Linophrynidae). FAO, Rome, pp. 1511-1519
- Hargis, W. J. (1955) Monogenetic trematodes of Gulf of Mexico fishes. Part V. The superfamily Capsaloidea. Transactions of the American Microscopical Society 74: pp. 203-225
- Janse, M., Borgsteede, F. H. M. (2003) Praziquantel treatment of captive white-spotted eagle rays (Aetobatus narinari) infested with monogenean trematodes. Bulletin of the European Association of Fish Pathologists 23: pp. 152-156
- Neifar, L., Euzet, L., Ben Hassine, O. K. (2000) New species of the Monocotylidae (Monogenea) from the stingray Dasyatis tortonesi Capapé (Euselachii, Dasyatidae) off the Tunisian coast, with comments on host-specificity and the specific identities of Mediterranean stingrays. Systematic Parasitology 47: pp. 43-50
- Whittington, I. (1990) Empruthotrema kearni n. sp. and observations on Thaumatocotyle pseudodasybatis Hargis, 1955 (Monogenea: Monocotylidae) from the nasal fossae of Aetobatus narinari (Batiformes: Myliobatidae) from Moreton Bay, Queensland. Systematic Parasitology 15: pp. 23-31
- Young, P.C. (1967) A taxonomic revision of the subfamilies Monocotylinae Gamble, 1896 and Dendromonocotylinae Hargis, 1955 (Monogenoidea: Monocotylidae). Journal of Zoology (London) 153: pp. 381-422
- Monocotylids (Monogenea: Monopisthocotylea) from Aetobatus cf. narinari off New Caledonia, with a description of Decacotyle elpora n. sp.
Volume 60, Issue 3 , pp 175-185
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links