Recognition-primed group decisions via judgement aggregation
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We introduce a conceptual model for reaching group decisions. Our model extends a well-known, single-agent cognitive model, the recognition-primed decision (RPD) model. The RPD model includes a recognition phase and an evaluation phase. Group extensions of the RPD model, applicable to a group of RPD agents, have been considered in the literature, however the proposed models do not formalize how distributed and possibly inconsistent information can be combined in either phase. We show how such information can be utilized by aggregating it using a specific social choice method, namely judgment aggregation. Our model is applicable to hierarchical groups of agents containing at least one RPD agent.
- Chevaleyre, Y., Endriss, U., Lang, J., & Maudet, N. (2007). A short introduction to computational social choice. In Proceedings of the 33rd Conference on Current Trends in Theory and Practice of Computer Science, SOFSEM ’07 (pp. 51–69). Berlin: Springer.
- Fan, X., Sun, S., McNeese, M., & Yen, J. (2005a). Extending the recognition-primed decision model to support human-agent collaboration. In Proceedings of the Fourth International Joint Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems, AAMAS ’05 (pp. 945–952). New York: ACM.
- Fan, X., Sun, S., & Yen, J. (2005b). On shared situation awareness for supporting human decision-making teams. In Proceedings of 2005 AAAI Spring Symposium on AI Technologies for Homeland Security (pp. 17–24).
- Fan, X., & Yen, J. (2008). Team-rpd: A collaborative model of the recognition-primed decision process. In International Conference on Web Intelligence and Intelligent Agent Technology (Vol. 2, pp. 136–139).
- Ganesan, V., Slavkovik, M., Sousa, S., & van der Torre, L. (2012). Selecting judgment aggregation rules for Nao robots: An experimental approach. In 11th International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems, AAMAS ’12. IFAAMAS.
- Ji Y., Massanari R. M., Ager J., Yen J., Miller R. E., Ying H. (2007) A fuzzy logic-based computational recognition-primed decision model. Journal of Information Science 177: 4338–4353 CrossRef
- Jones, R. E., Connors, E., Mossey, M., Hyatt, J., Hansen, N., & Endsley, M. (2010). Modeling situation awareness for army infantry platoon leaders using fuzzy cognitive mapping techniques. In Proceedings of the 19th Conference on Behavior Representation in Modeling and Simulation, Charleston, SC.
- Klein G. A. (1989) Recognition-primed decisions. In: Rouse W. (ed) Advances in man–machine systems research. JAI Press, Greenwich, CT, pp 47–92
- Klein G. (1999) Sources of power: How people make decisions. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA
- Klein G. (2008) Naturalistic decision making. Human Factors: The Journal of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 50(3): 456–460 CrossRef
- Klein G. A., Calderwood R., Clinton-Cirocco A. (2010) Rapid decision making on the fire ground: The original study plus a postscript. Journal of Cognitive Engineering and Decision Making 4: 186–209 CrossRef
- List C., Puppe C. (2009) Judgment aggregation: A survey. In: Anand P., Puppe C., Pattanaik P. (eds) Oxford handbook of rational and social choice. Oxford University Press, Oxford
- Norling, E. (2004). Folk psychology for human modelling: Extending the bdi paradigm. In Proceedings of the Third International Joint Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems—Volume 1, AAMAS ’04 (pp. 202–209). Washington, DC: IEEE Computer Society.
- Sen, A. (1970). The impossibility of a paretian liberal. Journal of Political Economy, 78(1).
- Shattuck L., Lewis Miller N. (2006) Extending naturalistic decision making to complex organizations: A dynamic model of situated cognition. Organization Studies 27: 989–1009 CrossRef
- Slavkovik, M. (2012). Judgment aggregation for multiagent systems. PhD Thesis, University of Luxembourg. http://www.illc.uva.nl/COMSOC/theses/phd-slavkovik.pdf.
- Slavkovik, M., & Jamroga, W. (2011). Distance-based judgment aggregation of three-valued judgments with weights. In E. Elkind, U. Endriss & J. Lang (Eds.), Proceedings of the IJCAI Workshop on Social Choice and Artificial Intelligence (pp. 81–87).
- Urquhart A. (2001) Basic many-valued logic. In: Gabbay D., Guenthener F. (eds) Handbook of philosophical logic (2nd ed., Vol. 2). Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, pp 249–295
- Warwick, W., McIlwaine, S., Hutton, R., & McDermott, P. (2001). Developing computational models of recognition-primed decision making. In Proceedings of the 10th Conference on Computer Generated Forces.
- Recognition-primed group decisions via judgement aggregation
Volume 189, Issue 1 Supplement, pp 51-65
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Recognition-primed decisions
- Judgment aggregation
- Computational social choice
- Multiagent systems
- Industry Sectors