The problem of predestination: as a prelude to A. N. Prior’s tense logic
- Per F. V. Hasle
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Arthur Norman Prior’s early theological writings have been relatively neglected for many years. Moreover, to the extent that they have been discussed at all they have been treated mainly as youthful work quite separate from Prior’s later work as a philosopher and logician. However, as interest in Prior’s achievements has been growing significantly in recent years it has become more important to investigate the development with his overall work. In fact, Prior’s putatively “youthful” theological work overlapped his work as a philosopher and logician for many years, as is richly documented by examples discussed in this paper. A particularly important theme is the problem of predestination. This paper presents comprehensive evidence that this theme, which was Prior’s most important single preoccupation as a theological writer, was a most important source of inspiration for his development of tense logic. Via questions regarding divine foreknowledge and human free will, predestination was to motivate Prior as a logician to focus on time and tense. Whilst investigating this development, the paper also traces Prior’s parallel development from Calvinist Christian believer to a more agnostic position.
- Copeland, J. (eds) (1996) Logic and reality: Essays in the legacy of arthur prior. Oxford University Press/Clarendon Press, Oxford
- Grimshaw M. (2002) The Prior Prior: Neglected early writings of Arthur N. Prior. The HeyThrop Journal, 43: 480–495 CrossRef
- Jakobsen, D. (2011). An introduction to ‘faith, unbelief and evil’. Synthese. doi:10.1007/s11229-011-9946-0
- Kenny A. (1970) Arthur Normann Prior (1914–1969). Proceedings of the British Academy LVI: 321–349
- Øhrstrøm P., Hasle P. (1995) Temporal logic—from ancient ideas to artificial intelligence. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht
- Prior, A. (1937). Revaluations. Student (6).
- Prior, A. (1940a). The logic of calvinism. Unpublished (Handwritten, 26 pp., Box 7).
- Prior, A. (1940b). A modernist stocktaking. Unpublished (typed, 6 pp., Box 7).
- Prior, A. (1940c). Notes on the Westminster confession (and the proposed revision). Unpublished (Typed, 2 pages, + handwritten, 3 pages, Box 7).
- Prior, A. (1942a). Can religion be discussed? Australasian Journal of Psychology and Philosophy, 15, 141–151 (Reprinted from New essays in philosophical theology, pp. 1–11 by F. Antony & M. Alasdair (Eds.), 1955, London: S. C. M. Press).
- Prior, A. (1942b). The case of Edward Irving. Unpublished (typed, 5 pp., Box 6).
- Prior, A. (1942c). Children of the Damned. Unpublished (typed, 10 pp + handwritten 2 pp., Box 6).
- Prior, A. (1942d). Robert Barclay: Quaker or calvinist?. Unpublished (typed, 15 pp., Box 7).
- Prior, A. (1943). Determinism in philosophy and theology. Unpublished (typed, 4 pp., Box 6).
- Prior A. (1946) The reformers reformed: Knox on predestination. The Presbyter 4: 19–23
- Prior A. (1947) Supralapsarianism. The Presbyter 5: 19–22
- Prior, A. (1951). The ethical copula. Australasian Journal of Philosophy, 29, 137–154 (Reprinted as Prior 1976).
- Prior A. (1953) Three-valued logic and future contingents. The Philosophical Quarterly 3: 317–326 CrossRef
- Prior A. (1955) Diodoran modalities. The Philosophical Quarterly 5: 205–213 CrossRef
- Prior, A. (1958). The good life and religious faith (East-West meeting at Canberra Dec. 1957). Australasian Journal of Philosophy, 36, 1–13.
- Prior A. (1959) Creation in science and theology. Southern Stars 18: 82–89
- Prior A. (1962) The formalities of omniscience. Philosophy 37: 114–129 CrossRef
- Prior, A. (1976). The ethical copula. In: P. T. Geach & A. J. P. Kenny (Eds.), Papers in logic and ethics (pp. 9–24). Amherst: University of Massachusett Press.
- Prior, A. (1996). Some free thinking about time. First published in Copeland 1996. For its original dating, see footnote 14. I quote from the original ’SFTT’, kept in the Bodleian Library, box 7.
- Prior, A. (2011a). The fable of the four preachers. Syntheses (this volume).
- Prior, A. (2011b). Faith, unbelief and evil. Synthese. doi:10.1007/s11229-011-9945-1.
- The problem of predestination: as a prelude to A. N. Prior’s tense logic
Volume 188, Issue 3 , pp 331-347
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Arthur N. Prior
- Free will
- Industry Sectors
- Per F. V. Hasle (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Royal School of Library and Information Science, Copenhagen, Denmark