Asymptotic Densities in Logic and Type Theory
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper presents a systematic approach for obtaining results from the area of quantitative investigations in logic and type theory. We investigate the proportion between tautologies (inhabited types) of a given length n against the number of all formulas (types) of length n. We investigate an asymptotic behavior of this fraction. Furthermore, we characterize the relation between number of premises of implicational formula (type) and the asymptotic probability of finding such formula among the all ones. We also deal with a distribution of these asymptotic probabilities. Using the same approach we also prove that the probability that randomly chosen fourth order type (or type of the order not greater than 4), which admits decidable lambda definability problem, is zero.
- Comtet, L., Advanced combinatorics. The art of finite and infinite expansions. Revised and enlarged edition, Reidel, Dordrecht, 1974.
- Flajolet, P., and R. Sedgewick, Analitic combinatorics: functional equations, rational and algebraic functions, INRIA, Number 4103, 2001.
- Flajolet, P., Odlyzko, A.M.: ‘Singularity analysis of generating functions’. SIAM J. on Discrete Math 3(2), 216–240 (1990) CrossRef
- Gardy, D., Random Boolean expressions, Colloquium on Computational Logic and Applications‘, Chambery (France), June 2005. Proceedings in DMTCS, 2006, pp. 1–26.
- Joly, T.: ‘On the λ definability I, the Model Problem and Generalizations of the Matching Problem’. Fundamentae Informaticae 65(1-2), 135–151 (2005)
- Kostrzycka, Z., ‘On the density of implicational parts of intuitionistic and classical logics’, Journal of Applied Non-Classical Logics Vol. 13, Number 3:295–325, 2003.
- Kostrzycka, Z., ‘On the density of truth in Grzegorczyk’s modal logic’, Bulletin of the Section of Logic, Vol. 33, Number 2:107–120, June 2004.
- Kostrzycka, Z., ‘On the density of truth in modal logics’, Colloquium on Mathematics and Computer Science, Nancy (France), September 2006. Proceedings in DMTCS, 2006, pp. 161–170.
- Kostrzycka, Z., Zaionc, M.: Statistics of intuitionistic versus classical logics’. Studia Logica 76, 307–328 (2004) CrossRef
- Loader, R., ‘The Undecidability of λ - Definability’, in C.A. Anderson and Zeleny (eds.), Logic, Meaning and Computation: Essays in Memory of Alonzo Church, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2001, pp. 331–342.
- Moczurad, M., Tyszkiewicz, J., Zaionc, M.: ‘Statistical properties of simple types’. Mathematical Structures in Computer Science 10, 575–594 (2000) CrossRef
- Plotkin, G., λ definability and logical relations, Memorandum SAI-RM-4, School of Artificial Intelligence, University of Edinburgh, October 1973.
- Statman, R., Equality of functionals revisited, in L.A. Harrington et al. (eds.), Harvey Friedman’s Research on the Foundations of Mathematics, North- Holland, Amsterdam, 1985, pp. 331–338.
- Wilf, H.S.: Generatingfunctionology. 2nd edn. Academic Press, Boston (1994)
- Zaionc, M., ‘On the asymptotic density of tautologies in logic of implication and negation’, Reports on Mathematical Logic, vol. 39, 2004.
- Zaionc, M.: ‘Probabilistic approach to the lambda definability for fourth order types’. Electronic Notes in Theoretical Computer Science 140, 41–54 (2005) CrossRef
- Zaionc, M., ‘Probability distribution for simple tautologies’, Theoretical Computer Science, vol. 355, Issue 2, 11 April 2006, pp. 243–260.
- Asymptotic Densities in Logic and Type Theory
Volume 88, Issue 3 , pp 385-403
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- propositional logic
- asymptotic density of tautologies
- probabilistic methods in logic and type theory