Notes on Logics of Metric Spaces
- Oliver Kutz
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In , we studied the computational behaviour of various first-order and modal languages interpreted in metric or weaker distance spaces.  gave an axiomatisation of an expressive and decidable metric logic. The main result of this paper is in showing that the technique of representing metric spaces by means of Kripke frames can be extended to cover the modal (hybrid) language that is expressively complete over metric spaces for the (undecidable) two-variable fragment of first-order logic with binary pred-icates interpreting the metric. The frame conditions needed correspond rather directly with a Boolean modal logic that is, again, of the same expressivity as the two-variable fragment. We use this representation to derive an axiomatisation of the modal hybrid variant of the two-variable fragment, discuss the compactness property in distance logics, and derive some results on (the failure of) interpolation in distance logics of various expressive power.
- Areces, C., Marx, M. (1998) Failure of Interpolation in Combined Modal Logics. Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic 39: pp. 253-273 CrossRef
- Blackburn, P., Tzakova, M. (1999) Hybrid languages and temporal logic. Logic Journal of the IGPL 7: pp. 27-54 CrossRef
- Bull, R. (1970) An approach to tense logic. Theoria 36: pp. 282-300 CrossRef
- Cate, B. (2005) Interpolation for extended modal languages. The Journal of Symbolic Logic 70: pp. 223-234 CrossRef
- Etessami, K., M. Vardi, and T. Wilke, ‘First-order logic with two variables and unary temporal logic’, Proceedings of 12th. IEEE Symp. Logic in Computer Science, 1997, pp. 228–235.
- Fine, K. (1974) An ascending chain of S4 logics. Theoria 40: pp. 110-116 CrossRef
- Gargov, G., Goranko, V. (1993) Modal Logic with Names. Journal of Philosophical Logic 22: pp. 607-636 CrossRef
- Gargov, G., Passy, S., Tinchev, T. Modal environment for Boolean specula- tions. In: Skordev, D. eds. (1987) Mathematical Logic and its Applications. Plenum Press, New York, pp. 253-263
- Goldblatt, R., Axiomatizing the Logic of Computer Programming, volume 130 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, 1982.
- Goranko, V. (1998) Axiomatizations with Context Rules of Inference in Modal Logic. Studia Logica 61: pp. 179-197 CrossRef
- Goranko, V., Vakarelov, D. (2001) Sahlqvist Formulas in Hybrid Polyadic Modal Logics. Journal of Logic and Computation 11: pp. 737-754 CrossRef
- Kutz, O., E-Connections and Logics of Distance, PhD thesis, The University of Liverpool, 2004.
- Kutz, O., Sturm, H., Suzuki, N.-Y., Wolter, F., Zakharyaschev, M. (2002) Ax- iomatizing distance logics. Journal of Applied Non-Classical Logic 12: pp. 425-440
- Kutz, O., Sturm, H., Suzuki, N.-Y., Wolter, F., Zakharyaschev, M. (2003) Logics of metric spaces. ACM Transactions on Computational Logic 4: pp. 260-294 CrossRef
- Lutz, C., and U. Sattler, ‘The Complexity of Reasoning with Boolean Modal Logic’, in F. Wolter, H. Wansing, M. de Rijke, and M. Zakharyaschev (eds.), Advances in Modal Logic, volume 3. World Scientific Publishing Company, 2002, pp. 329–348.
- Lutz, C., Sattler, U., Wolter, F. (2001) Modal logics and the two-variable frag- ment. Springer Verlag, Paris, France
- Marx, M., Venema, Y. (1997) Multi-dimensional modal logic. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht
- Passy, S., and T. Tinchev, ‘An essay in combinatory dynamic logic’, Information and Computation, 93(2), 1991.
- Rijke, M. (1992) The modal logic of inequality. The Journal of Symbolic Logic 57: pp. 566-584 CrossRef
- Venema, Y. (1993) Derivation Rules as Anti-Axioms in Modal Logic. The Journal of Symbolic Logic 58: pp. 1003-1034 CrossRef
- Wolter, F., and M. Zakharyaschev, ‘Reasoning about distances’, Proceedings of the 18th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI 2003), Acapulco, Mexico, 2003, pp. 1275–1280.
- Wolter, F., Zakharyaschev, M. (2005) A logic for metric and topology. The Journal of Symbolic Logic 70: pp. 795-828 CrossRef
- Notes on Logics of Metric Spaces
Volume 85, Issue 1 , pp 75-104
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Metric spaces
- expressive completeness
- Boolean modal logic
- hybrid logic
- Oliver Kutz (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Computer Science, The University of Manchester, Kilburn Building, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL, UK