Strength assessment for composite and metal-composite cylinders under pulse loading. Part 2. Numerical evaluation of strength for multilayer cylinders of finite length under internal explosion
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Using a numerical experiment method, the authors have solved a problem of optimization for a three-layer metal-composite cylinder of finite length, which is loaded with axisymmetric internal explosion. The optimization consists in finding the best layer thickness ratio and reinforcement configuration for the cylinder’s anisotropic composite part in order to provide the maximum strength margin by Tsai–Wu criterion for the fixed overall dimensions of the cylinder and the relative explosive charge mass. The use of an elastoplastic isotropic steel 20 for the internal layer is demonstrated to significantly improve the metal-composite cylinder strength owing, in particular, to plastic yielding, in comparison to a purely composite cylinder. The use of high-strength steels with a high yield stress is not advisable. The application of all-metal shells is impractical from the standpoint of materials consumption – they are too heavy.
- V. A. Romashchenko, “Strength assessment for composite and metal-composite cylinders under pulse loading. Part 1. Rules of choosing various strength criteria for anisotropic material and comparative analysis of such criteria,” Strength Mater., 44, No. 4, 376–387 (2012). CrossRef
- V. M. Ryzhanskii, V. N. Mineev, A. G. Ivanov, et al., “Failure of water-filled cylindrical two-layer glass-epoxy shells under internal pulse loading,” Mekh. Polimer., No. 2, 283–289 (1987).
- G. S. Pisarenko, A. P. Yakovlev, and V. V. Matveev, Handbook in the Strength of Materials [in Russian], Delta, Kiev (2008).
- R. M. Christensen, “Stress based yield/failure criteria for fiber composites,” Int. J. Solids Struct., 34, No. 5, 529–543 (1997). CrossRef
- V. Z. Parton and P. I. Perlin, Methods of Mathematical Theory of Elasticity [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1981).
- Strength assessment for composite and metal-composite cylinders under pulse loading. Part 2. Numerical evaluation of strength for multilayer cylinders of finite length under internal explosion
Strength of Materials
Volume 44, Issue 5 , pp 502-511
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- multilayer metal-composite cylinder
- Tsai–Wu strength criterion
- pulse loading
- unidirectional reinforcement
- spiral transtropy
- Wilkins two-dimensional algorithm
- Industry Sectors