Crack identification in reinforced concrete beams using ANSYS software
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Three-dimensional nonlinear finite element model of reinforced concrete beam has been developed in this study. The general purpose finite element package, ANSYS 8.0, is employed for the numerical analyses. Using SOLID65 solid elements, the compressive crushing of concrete is facilitated using plasticity algorithm while the concrete cracking in tension zone is accommodated by the nonlinear material model. Smeared reinforcement is used and introduced as a percentage of steel embedded in concrete. Comparison with hand calculated results is presented for the concrete beam. Convergence of analytical results is showed. The capability of the model to capture the critical crack regions, loads and deflections for various types of loadings in reinforced concrete beam has been illustrated.
- M. Y. H. Bangash, Concrete and Concrete Structures: Numerical Modeling and Applications, Elsevier Science Publishers Ltd., London (1989).
- Y. Hemmaty, “Modeling of the shear force transferred between cracks in reinforced and fibre reinforced concrete structures,” in: Proc. of the ANSYS Conf., Vol. 1, Pittsburgh, PA (1998).
- ANSYS 8.0 Manual Set, ANSYS Inc., Canonsburg, PA (1998).
- ANSYS Theory Reference, Seventh Edition, Swanson Analysis Systems (1998).
- ANSYS – Engineering Analysis System. Theoretical Manual (for ANSYS Revision 8.04), Swanson Analysis Systems (1998).
- D. Kachlakev and T. Miller, FE Modeling of Reinforced Concrete Structures Strengthened with FRP Lamiates, Final Report SPR 316, Oregon State University (2001).
- K. J. Willam, University of Colorado (Private communication) (1982).
- K. J. William and E. D. Warnke, “Constitutive model for the triaxial behavior of concrete,” in: Proc. of the Int. Association for Bridge and Structural Engineering, ISMES, Bergamo (1975), Vol. 19, p. 174.
- K. J. Bathe, Finite Element Procedures, Prentice-Hall Inc., New Jersey (1996).
- W. F. Chen and D. J. Han, Plasticity for Structural Engineers, Springer-Verlag, New York (1988).
- Crack identification in reinforced concrete beams using ANSYS software
Strength of Materials
Volume 42, Issue 2 , pp 232-240
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- nonlinear finite element modeling
- reinforced concrete beam
- ANSYS software
- static analysis
- Industry Sectors