Compulsory Schooling as Preventative Defense
- Samuel D. Rocha
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The question whether compulsory schooling is justifiable or not has been treated at considerable length by critics, defenders, and positions in-between. What these treatments—about paternalism and autonomy and institutionalization and more—have not directly analyzed is a question that precedes the issue of overall justification: the preliminary question of time. Does it matter when compulsion takes place? Furthermore, does the timing of compulsion matter to the question of overall justification? I will argue that it does matter, but for reasons not directly related to the question of overall justification.
- A Nation at Risk. (1983). National commission on excellence in education. Washington D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office.
- Aviram, A. (1986). The justification of compulsory education: The still neglected moral duty. Journal of Philosophy of Education, 20(1), 51–58. CrossRef
- Callan, E. (1983). Freedom and schooling. Journal of Philosophy of Education, 17(1), 45–56. CrossRef
- Callan, E. (1988). Autonomy and schooling. Kingston: McGill-Queens University Press.
- Chamberlin, R. (1989). Free children and democratic schools: A philosophical study of liberty and education. Lewes: The Falmer Press.
- Church, R. L. (1976). Education in the United States. New York: The Free Press.
- Feuer, M. J., Towne, L., & Shavelson, R. J. (2002). Scientific research and educational research. Educational Researcher, 31(8), 4–14. CrossRef
- Gabbard, D., & Ross, W. (2009). Education under the security state. New York: Teachers College Press.
- Katz, M. S. (1977). Compulsion and the discourse on compulsory school attendance. Educational Theory, 27(3), 179–185. CrossRef
- Lather, P. (2004). Scientific research in education: A critical perspective. British Educational Research Journal, 30(6), 759–772. CrossRef
- McMahan, J. (2005). Preventative war and the killing of the innocent. In D. Rodin & R. Sorabji (Eds.), The ethics of war: Shared problems in different traditions (pp. 169–190). Aldershot: Ashgate Publishing.
- Schinkel, A. (2010). Compulsory autonomy-promoting education. Educational Theory, 60(1), 97–116. CrossRef
- Schinkel, A. (2012). On the justification of compulsory schooling. 2012 PESGB Annual Conference Preceedings. New College, Oxford.
- Williams, K. (1990). In defence of compulsory education. Journal of Philosophy of Education, 24(2), 285–294. CrossRef
- Compulsory Schooling as Preventative Defense
Studies in Philosophy and Education
Volume 32, Issue 6 , pp 613-621
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Compulsory schooling
- Preventative defense
- Philosophy of education
- Samuel D. Rocha (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Educational Foundations and Research, University of North Dakota, Education Building, Room 336 231 Centennial Drive Stop 7189, Grand Forks, ND, 58202-7189, USA