Compulsory Schooling as Preventative Defense
- Samuel D. Rocha
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The question whether compulsory schooling is justifiable or not has been treated at considerable length by critics, defenders, and positions in-between. What these treatments—about paternalism and autonomy and institutionalization and more—have not directly analyzed is a question that precedes the issue of overall justification: the preliminary question of time. Does it matter when compulsion takes place? Furthermore, does the timing of compulsion matter to the question of overall justification? I will argue that it does matter, but for reasons not directly related to the question of overall justification.
- A Nation at Risk. (1983). National commission on excellence in education. Washington D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office.
- Aviram, A. (1986). The justification of compulsory education: The still neglected moral duty. Journal of Philosophy of Education, 20(1), 51–58. CrossRef
- Callan, E. (1983). Freedom and schooling. Journal of Philosophy of Education, 17(1), 45–56. CrossRef
- Callan, E. (1988). Autonomy and schooling. Kingston: McGill-Queens University Press.
- Chamberlin, R. (1989). Free children and democratic schools: A philosophical study of liberty and education. Lewes: The Falmer Press.
- Church, R. L. (1976). Education in the United States. New York: The Free Press.
- Feuer, M. J., Towne, L., & Shavelson, R. J. (2002). Scientific research and educational research. Educational Researcher, 31(8), 4–14. CrossRef
- Gabbard, D., & Ross, W. (2009). Education under the security state. New York: Teachers College Press.
- Katz, M. S. (1977). Compulsion and the discourse on compulsory school attendance. Educational Theory, 27(3), 179–185. CrossRef
- Lather, P. (2004). Scientific research in education: A critical perspective. British Educational Research Journal, 30(6), 759–772. CrossRef
- McMahan, J. (2005). Preventative war and the killing of the innocent. In D. Rodin & R. Sorabji (Eds.), The ethics of war: Shared problems in different traditions (pp. 169–190). Aldershot: Ashgate Publishing.
- Schinkel, A. (2010). Compulsory autonomy-promoting education. Educational Theory, 60(1), 97–116. CrossRef
- Schinkel, A. (2012). On the justification of compulsory schooling. 2012 PESGB Annual Conference Preceedings. New College, Oxford.
- Williams, K. (1990). In defence of compulsory education. Journal of Philosophy of Education, 24(2), 285–294. CrossRef
- Compulsory Schooling as Preventative Defense
Studies in Philosophy and Education
Volume 32, Issue 6 , pp 613-621
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Compulsory schooling
- Preventative defense
- Philosophy of education
- Samuel D. Rocha (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Educational Foundations and Research, University of North Dakota, Education Building, Room 336 231 Centennial Drive Stop 7189, Grand Forks, ND, 58202-7189, USA