Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper uses Deleuze and Guattari's concept of faciality to analyse the teacher's face. According to Deleuze and Guattari, the teacher-face is a special type of face because it is an 'overcoded' face produced in specific landscapes. This paper suggests four limit-faces for teacher faciality that actualise different mixes of signifiance and subjectification in a classroom in which individualisation and massifications are affected. Understanding these limit-faces suggests new ways to conceive the affects actualised in the classroom that are subjected to increasing levels of surveillance from education policy makers. Through this ‘partial mapping’ new possibilities emerge to “escape the face”.
- Ball, S. (2000). Performativities and fabrications in the education economy: Towards a performative society? Australian Educational Researcher, 27(2), 1–23. CrossRef
- Ball, S. (2003). The teacher’s soul and the terrors of performativity. Journal of Education Policy, 18(2), 215–228. CrossRef
- Barrow, R. (1976). Plato and education. New York: Routledge & Kegan Paul.
- Bentham, J. (1816). Crestomathia. London: Messrs. Payne and Foss, and R. Hunter.
- Bentham, J. (1995). Panopticon; or the inspection-house. In M. Bozovic (Ed.), The panopticon writings (pp. 29–95). London: Verso.
- Black, D. (2011). What is a face? Body & Society, 17(4), 1–25. CrossRef
- Brighouse, T. (2006). Introduction. In M. Vaughan (Ed.), Summerhill and A.S. Neill (pp. 1–4) Berkshire: Open University Press.
- Cole, D. R. (2008). Deleuze and the narrative forms of educational otherness. In I. Semestsky (Ed.), Nomadic education: Variations on a theme (pp. 17–32). Rotterdam: Sense Publishers.
- Deleuze, G. (2004). Francis Bacon: The logic of sensation. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- Deleuze, G., & Guattari, F. (1996). What is philosophy?. New York: Columbia University Press.
- Deleuze, G., & Guattari, F. (2005). A thousand plateaus: Capitalism and schizophrenia. Minneapolis: The University of Minnesota Press.
- Foucault, M. (1991). Discipline and punish: The birth of the prison. London: Penguin Books.
- Gough, N. (2006). Shaking the tree, making a rhizome: Towards a nomadic geophilosophy of science education. Educational Philosophy and Theory, 38(5), 625–645. CrossRef
- Gray, C. (2012). Learning theories in childhood. London: Sage.
- Greene, M. (2000). Imagining futures: The public school and accountability. Journal of Curriculum Studies, 32(2), 267–280. CrossRef
- Guattari, F. (2011). The machinic unconscious: Essays in Schizo analysis. Los Angeles: Semiotext(e).
- Hansen, M. (2003). Affect as medium, or the ‘digital-facial-image’. Journal of Visual Culture, 2(2), 205–228. CrossRef
- Hemmings, R. (1972). Fifty years of freedom: A study of the development of the ideas of A.S.Neill. London: Allen and Unwin.
- Hodgson, G. (1969). Studies in French education from Rabelais to Rousseau. New York: Burt Franklin.
- Hunter, I. (1994). Rethinking the school: Subjectivity, bureaucracy, criticism. St Leonards: Allen and Unwin.
- Jacobsen, D. (2003). Philosophy in classroom teaching: Bridging the gap. New Jersey: Merrill/Prentice Hall.
- Jones, D. (1990). The genealogy of the urban schoolteacher. In S. J. Ball (Ed.), Foucault and education: Disciplines and knowledge (pp. 57–77). London: Routledge.
- Kauffman, J. (2011). An autoethnography of a face. Qualitative Inquiry, 17(10), 913–916. CrossRef
- Lawton, D., & Gordon, P. (2002). A history of educational ideas. London: Woburn Press.
- Markula, P. (2006). Deleuze and the body without organs: Disreading the fit feminine identity. Journal of Sport and Social Issues, 30(1), 29–44. CrossRef
- Massumi, B., & McKim, J. (2009). Micropolitics: Exploring Ethico-Aesthetics. Inflexions: A Journal for Research-Creation, 3, 1–20.
- Neill, A. (1962). Summerhill. London: V. Gollanz.
- Neill, A. (1972). Neill! Neill! Orange Peel! London: Weidenfield and Nicolson.
- O’Sullivan, S. (2006). Pragmatics for the production of subjectivity: Time for probe-heads. Journal for Cultural Research, 10(4), 309–323. CrossRef
- Ozmon, H. A., & Craver, S. M. (2003). Philosophical foundations of education. New Jersey: Merrill Prentice Hall.
- Plato (1969). Extracts from Laws, The Rupublic, Theaetetus. In A. Cohen, & N. Garner (Ed.), Readings in the History of Educational Thought. London: University of London Press.
- Popkewitz, T. S. (1998). Introduction. In T. Popkewitz & M. Brennan (Eds.), Foucault’s challenge: Discourse, knowledge and power in education (pp. xiii–xvi). New York: Teachers College Press.
- Rousseau, J. (1969). Extracts from emile and the social contract. In A. Cohen & N. Garner (Eds.), Readings in the history of educational thought. London: University of London Press.
- Roy, K. (2003). Teachers in nomadic spaces: Deleuze and curriculum. New York: Peter Lang.
- Rushton, R. (2002). What can a face do? On Deleuze and faces. Cultural Critique, 51, 219–237. CrossRef
- Rutter, J. (2007). Dismantling the face: Toward a phenomenology of boxing. Cultural Studies, Critical Methodologies, 7 (3), 281–293.
- St.Pierre, E. A. (2004). Deleuzian concepts for education: The subject undone. Educational Philosophy and Theory, 36(3), 283–296. CrossRef
- Symes, C., & Preston, N. (1997). Schools and classrooms: A cultural studies analysis of education. South Melbourne: Longman.
- Thompson, G., & Bell, J. (2011). Mired in the shadows: Quiet Students in secondary schools. Discourse: Cultural Studies in Education, 32(3), 399–413. CrossRef
- Thompson, G., & Cook, I. (2012). Spinning in the NAPLAN ether: ‘Postscript on the control societies’ and the seduction of education in Australia. Deleuze Studies, 6(4), 564–584.
- Troman, G. (2008). Primary teacher identity, commitment and career in performative school cultures. British Educational Research Journal, 34(5), 619–633. CrossRef
- Vaughan, M. (Ed). (2006). Summerhill and A.S. Neill. Maidenhead: Open University Press.
- Watson, J. (2008). Theorising European ethnic politics with Deleuze and Guattari. In I. Buchanan & N. Thorburn (Eds.), Deleuze and politics (pp. 196–217). Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press. CrossRef
- Mapping Teacher-Faces
Studies in Philosophy and Education
Volume 32, Issue 4 , pp 379-395
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Teachers and teaching
- Deleuze and Guattari