Response to Fred Ellett’s Review of Leaders in Philosophy of Education: Intellectual Self Portraits
- Leonard J. Waks
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
I want to thank Professor Fred Ellett for his gracious review of my book. I am pleased that Ellett, like other reviewers of this book, finds the self-portraits captivating, helpful in illuminating the roots of philosophical ideas about education in the personal experiences and social contexts of their authors, and sometimes side-splittingly funny.
In an earlier review in The Journal of Philosophy of Education, Sockett (2009) had lamented that the authors had summarized their views but had not on the whole offered up new theses or arguments to advance their own positions or sharpened contrasts with alternative views.
Sockett (2009).Ellett notes, however, that the authors do provide lists of personal favorites among their own works, and then place these within the context of their unfolding philosophical careers, so that readers can readily access and appreciate the theses and arguments that established these thinkers as leaders. Thus, he notes, the book can serve as an excellent companio ...
- Crary, A. (2003). Wittgenstein’s pragmatic strain. Social Research, 70(2), 369–392.
- Moyal-Sharrock, D. (2003). Logic in action. Philosophical Investigations, 26(2), 125–148. CrossRef
- Sockett, H. (2009). Self-portraiture: The uses of academic autobiography. Journal of Philosophy of Education, 43(1), 167–174. CrossRef
- Thayer-Bacon, B. (2008). Leaders in philosophy of education: Intellectual self portraits (review). Education and Culture, 24(2), 63–69. CrossRef
- Waks, L. (1969). Philosophy, education and the doomsday threat. Review of Educational Research, 39(5), 607–621.
- White, M. (1956). Toward reunion in philosophy. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Response to Fred Ellett’s Review of Leaders in Philosophy of Education: Intellectual Self Portraits
Studies in Philosophy and Education
Volume 29, Issue 3 , pp 321-323
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Leonard J. Waks (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Educational Leadership and Policy Studies, Temple University, College of Education, Philadelphia, PA, 19122-6091, USA