The Unnatural Nature of Nature and Nurture: Questioning the Romantic Heritage
- Andrew Stables
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
From a cultural-historical perspective, nature and nurture (and thus education) are contested concepts. The paper focuses on the nature/nurture debate in the work of William Shakespeare (influenced by Montaigne) and in the Romantic tradition (evidenced by Rousseau and Wordsworth), and argues that while our Romantic inheritance (still highly influential in education) problematises nurture, it tends to mystify nature. Given that conceptions of nature are culturally driven, there is an urgent educational challenge to problematise nature as well as nurture.
- Althusser, L. (1971). Lenin and philosophy and other essays. London: NLB.
- Bonnett, M. (2003). Retrieving nature: Education for a post-humanist age. Special edition of Journal of Philosophy of Education, 37(4).
- Bowers, C. A. (2001). Educating for eco-justice and community. Athens, London: The University of Georgia Press.
- DeMause, L. (Ed.). (1976). The history of childhood. London: Souvenir Press.
- Dewey, J. (1896). The reflex arc concept in psychology, Psychological Review, 3, 357–370. Retrieved from http://spartan.ac.brocku.ca/~lward/Dewey/Dewey_1896.html. Accessed 11/14/2006.
- Dewey, J. (1916). Democracy and education. Toronto: Macmillan.
- Dewey, J. (1925). Experience and nature. La Salle, Ill.: Open Court.
- Frame, D. M. (1948). The complete essays of Montaigne. Lao Alto, CA: Stanford University Press.
- Galton, F. (1874). English men of science: Their nature and nurture. London: Macmillan.
- Hourd, M. (1949). The education of the poetic spirit. Oxford: Heinemann.
- Lyotard, J-F. (1984). The postmodern condition: A report on knowledge. Manchester: Manchester University Press.
- Norton, D. F. (Ed.). (1993). The Cambridge companion to Hume. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Rousseau, J.-J. (1979). In A. Bloom (Ed.), Émile, or on education (chap. 1). New York: Basic.
- Stables, A. (2003). School as imagined community in discursive space: a perspective on the school effectiveness debate. British Educational Research Journal, 29(6), 895–902. CrossRef
- Stables, A. (2005). Living and learning as semiotic engagement: A new theory of education. Lewiston, NY: Edwin Mellen.
- Stables, A., & Scott, W. (1999). Environmental education and the discourses of humanist modernity: Redefining critical environmental literacy. Educational Philosophy and Theory, 31(2), 145–155. CrossRef
- Stables, A., & Scott, W. (2001). Post-humanist liberal pragmatism? Environmental education out of modernity. Journal of Philosophy of Education, 35(2), 269–280. CrossRef
- Tillyard, E. M. W. (1943). The Elizabethan world picture. Harmondsworth: Penguin.
- Whitehead, A. N. (1950). The aims of education and other essays. New York: Macmillan.
- Wordsworth, W. (1973). In T. Hutchinson (Ed.), Wordsworth: Poetical works. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- The Unnatural Nature of Nature and Nurture: Questioning the Romantic Heritage
Studies in Philosophy and Education
Volume 28, Issue 1 , pp 3-14
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Andrew Stables (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Education, University of Bathh, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK