Radical sophiology: Fr. Sergej Bulgakov and John Milbank on Augustine
- David J. Dunn
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Looking at John Milbank’s recent turn to Fr. Sergej Bulgakov, this paper argues that the theological and philosophical commitments they share are overshadowed by a deeper difference concerning the role each assigns the church in secular culture. It turns to Milbank’s roots in Augustine’s philosophy of history, which he argues could have allowed the church to overtake the pagan (which founds the secular) were it not for his distinction between the “visible” church and its deferred (eschatological) perfection. Bulgakov also criticizes Augustine’s doctrine of the church, or so he thinks. He actually misreads Augustine, accusing the bishop of holding a doctrine of the church that Milbank would have liked him to have held. This suggests that Bulgakov would not agree with Milbank’s view that the church should “enact” God’s judgment in history by opposing itself to the secular.
- Saint Augustine (Bishop of Hippo.) (1972). Concerning the city of God against the pagans. In B. Radice (Ed.), Penguin classics. New York: Penguin.
- Saint Augustine (Bishop of Hippo.) (1991). The trinity. In B. Ramsey (Ed.), The works of Saint Augustine: A translation for the 21st century. Hyde Park, NY: New City Press.
- Saint Augustine (Bishop of Hippo.) (1997). Baptism, against the Donatists. In P. Schaff (Ed.), The Nicene and post-Nicene Fathers. Albany, OR: AGES Software.
- Saint Augustine (Bishop of Hippo.) (2007). Essential sermons. In B. Ramsey (Ed.), The works of Saint Augustine: A translation for the 21st century. Hyde Park, NY: New City Press.
- Baker, A. D. (2003). Poesis and inversion: The mysterious disappearance of Sergei Bulgakov in Von Balthasar’s dramatics of salvation. Eastern Orthodox Studies Group: Theosis and its reception in Western Christianity. Presented at the American Academy of Religion, Atlanta.
- Baker, A. D. (2004). Making perfection: an experiment in theological ontology. Doctoral Dissertation, University of Virginia, Charlottesville.
- Baker, A. D., & Gangle, R. (2005). Ecclesia: The art of the virtual. Theology and the political: The new debate. Durham: Duke University Press.
- Bauerschmidt, F. C. (1999). The word made speculative? John Milbank’s christological poetics. Modern Theology, 15(4), 417–432. doi:10.1111/1468-0025.00106. CrossRef
- Bonner, G. (1994). Augustine’s understanding of the church as a eucharistic community. In F. Lemoine & C. Kleinhenz (Eds.), Saint Augustine the bishop: A book of essays (pp. 39–63). New York: Garland.
- Bulgakov, S. (1976). By Jacob’s well: An article on the actual unity of the apparently divided church: In prayer, faith, and sacrament. In J. Pain & N. Zernov (Eds.), A Bulgakov anthology (pp. 101–113). London: SPCK.
- Bulgakov, S. (1979). In V. L. Lang (Ed.), Karl Marx as a religious type: His relation to the religion of anthropotheism of L. Feuerbach. Belmont, MA: Nordland.
- Bulgakov, S. (1988). The orthodox church. Crestwood, NY: St Vladimir’s Seminary Press.
- Bulgakov, S. (1999). Social teaching in modern Russian orthodox theology. In R. Williams (Ed.), Sergii Bulgakov: Towards a Russian political theology (pp. 273–286). Edinburgh: T&T Clark.
- Bulgakov, S. (2000). Philosophy of economy: The world as household. In G. S. Morson (Ed.), Russian literature and thought. Yale: New Haven.
- Bulgakov, S. (2002). The bride of the lamb. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans.
- Bulgakov, S. (2004). The comforter. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans.
- Bulgakov, S. (2005). Hypostasis and hypostaticity: Scholia to the unfading light. St Vladimir’s Theological Quarterly, 49(1–2), 5–46.
- Bulgakov, S. (2009). The burning bush: On the orthodox veneration of the mother of God. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans.
- Burns, J. P. (1980). The development of Augustine’s doctrine of operative grace. Paris: Études Augustiniennes.
- Burns, J. P. (2001). The Eucharist as the foundation of christian unity in North African theology. Augustinian Studies, 32, 1–23.
- Burns, J. P. (2002). Cyprian the Bishop. New York: Routledge.
- Cavanaugh, W. T. (1998). Torture and eucharist: Theology, politics, and the body of Christ. Malden, MA: Blackwell.
- Davis, C., & Riches, P. A. (2005). Metanoia: The theological praxis of revolution. Theology and the political: The new debate. Durham: Duke University Press.
- Demacopoulos, G. E., & Papanikolaou, A. (2008). Augustine and the orthodox: “The west” in the east. In G. E. Demacopoulos & A. Papanikolaou (Eds.), Orthodox readings of Augustine (pp. 11–40). Crestwood, NY: St Vladimir’s Seminary Press.
- Dostoyevsky, F. (1999). The Brothers Karamazov. New York: New American Library.
- Gallaher, B. (2006). Graced creatureliness: Ontological tension in the uncreated/created distinction in the sophiologies of Solov’ev, Bulgakov and Milbank. Logos: A Journal of Eastern Christian Studies, 47(1–2), 163–190.
- Geffert, B. (2005). The charges of heresy against Sergii Bulgakov: The majority and minority reports of Evlogii’s commission and the final report of the bishops’ conference. St Vladimir’s Theological Quarterly, 49(1–2), 47–66.
- Grabbe, P. M. C., Lambertsen, I. E., & Wertz, J. (1994). Concerning the false teaching of Archpriest Sergius Bulgakov. Living Orthodoxy, 16, 15–28.
- Kilmartin, E. J. (1989). The eucharistic gift: Augustine of Hippo’s tractate 27 on John 6:30–72. In D. G. Hunter (Ed.), Preaching in the patristic age: Studies in honor of Walter J. Burghardt, S.J. New York: Paulist.
- Lancel, S. (2002). Saint Augustine. London: SCM.
- Marx, K. (2012). Critique of Hegel’s philosophy of right (Kindle.). Aristeus Books.
- Méndez-Montoya, A. F. (2012). The theology of food: Eating and the eucharist. New York: Wiley.
- Milbank, J. (1987). An essay against secular order. The Journal of Religious Ethics, 15(2), 199–224.
- Milbank, J. (1997). The word made strange. Malden, MA: Blackwell.
- Milbank, J. (2002). The last of the last: Theology, authority and democracy. In D. C. Marks (Ed.), Shaping a theological mind: Theological context and methodology (pp. 59–85). Burlington, VT: Ashgate.
- Milbank, J. (2003). Being reconciled: Ontology and pardon. New York: Routledge.
- Milbank, J. (2004). Foreword. In J. K. A. Smith (Ed.), Introducing Radical Orthodoxy (pp. 11–20). Grand Rapids: Baker Academic.
- Milbank, J. (2005). The suspended middle: Henri de Lubac and the debate concerning the supernatural. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans.
- Milbank, J. (2006). Theology and social theory: Beyond secular reason (Vol. 2). Malden, MA: Blackwell.
- Milbank, J. (2009). Sophiology and theurgy: The new theological horizon. In A. Pabst & C. Schneider (Eds.), Encounter between eastern orthodoxy and radical orthodoxy: Transfiguring the world through the word (pp. 45–85). Burlington, VT: Ashgate.
- Milbank, J. (n.d.). Spring 2002—Department of Religious Studies, Arts and Sciences, U.Va. Retrieved 8 August 2012, from http://artsandsciences.virginia.edu/religiousstudies/courses/archive/2002spring.html.
- Pabst, A., & Schneider, C. (2009). Introduction: Transfiguring the world through the word. In A. Pabst & C. Schneider (Eds.), Encounter between eastern orthodoxy and radical orthodoxy: Transfiguring the world through the word (pp. 1–25). Burlington, VT: Ashgate.
- Plekon, M. (2005). Still by Jacob’s well: Sergius Bulgakov’s vision of the church revisited. St Vladimir’s Theological Quarterly, 49(1–2), 125–143.
- Tataryn, M. I. (2000). Augustine and Russian orthodoxy: Russian orthodox theologians and Augustine of Hippo: A twentieth century dialogue. Lanham, MD: International Scholars.
- Valliere, P. (2000). Modern Russian theology: Bukharev, Soloviev, Bulgakov: Orthodox theology in a new key. Edinburgh: T & T Clark.
- Williams, R. (1975). The theology of Vladimir Nikolaievich Lossky: An exposition and critique, Doctoral Thesis. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Williams, R. (1999a). Introduction to the Lamb of God: On the divine humanity (1993). In R. Williams (Ed.), Sergii Bulgakov: Towards a Russian political theology (pp. 163–181). Edinburgh: T&T Clark.
- Williams, R. (Ed.) (1999b). Sergii Bulgakov: Towards a Russian Political Theology. T&T Clark.
- Radical sophiology: Fr. Sergej Bulgakov and John Milbank on Augustine
Studies in East European Thought
Volume 64, Issue 3-4 , pp 227-249
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Milbank, John
- Bulgakov, Sergej
- Augustine, St. of Hippo
- Radical Orthodoxy
- David J. Dunn (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Franklin, TN, USA