3-D acoustic modelling of edge diffractions — revisited
- Leiv -J. Gelius
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
An accurate, fast, and simple algorithm for 3-D acoustic modelling of seismic edge diffractions, originally developed in the 1980s, is revisited in this paper. The main objective is to reintroduce this simple approach to edge-diffraction modelling and for the first time give the details of the theory in the open literature. The method is based on a combination of Kirchhoff theory and uniform asymptotic techniques developed within a high-frequency assumption. The diffraction contributions are then computed at stationary edge points only, by analogy with the geometrical ray contributions associated with internal stationary points or specular points. To be able to handle sampling inaccuracies of the critical edge points, a modified algorithm is proposed. Its robustness is verified in case of scattering from a circular edge. Also the extension from rigid or free boundary conditions to the case of edges defined by two penetrable surfaces is discussed in this paper. Both experimental and synthetic 3-D data are presented to demonstrate the potential of this edge-diffraction modelling technique. Since all parameters needed in the computations are obtained from dynamic ray tracing, the algorithm can readily be incorporated in existing software packages for 3-D seismic ray modelling.
- Abramowitz M. and Stegun I., 1972. Handbook of Mathematical Functions with Formulas, Graphs, and Mathematical Tables. Dover Publications, New York.
- Asgedom E., Gelius L.-J. and Tygel M., 2011. Higher-resolution determination of zero-offset common-reflection-surface stack parameters. Int. J. Geophys., DOI:10.1155/2011/819831.
- Bakker P.M., 1990. Theory of edge diffraction in terms of dynamic ray tracing. Geophys. J. Int., 102, 177–189. CrossRef
- Biot M.A. and Tolstoy I., 1957. Formulation of wave propagation in infinite media by normal coordinates with application to diffraction. J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 29, 381–391. CrossRef
- Bouwkamp C.J., 1954. Diffraction theory. Rep. Prog. Phys., 17, 35–100. CrossRef
- Buchal R.N. and Keller J.B., 1960. Boundary layer problems in diffraction theory. Comm. Pure Appl. Math., 13, 85–114. CrossRef
- Červený V., 2001. Seismic Ray Theory. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, U.K. CrossRef
- Červený V. and Hron F., 1980. The ray series method and dynamic ray tracing systems for 3D inhomogeneous media. Bull. Seismol. Soc. Amer., 70, 47–77.
- Chapman C.H. and Orcutt J.A., 1985. The computation of body-wave synthetic seismograms in laterally homogeneous media. Rev. Geophys., 23, 105–163. CrossRef
- Fomel S., Landa E. and Taner M., 2007. Poststack velocity analysis by separation and imaging of seismic diffractions. Geophysics, 72, 89–94.
- French S.F., 1975. Computer migration of oblique seismic reflection profiles. Geophysics, 40, 961–980.
- Gelius L.-J., Iversen E., Gjøystdal H., Stamnes J.J. and Pedersen H.M., 1987. Practical aspects of modelling of seismic diffractions from edges in 3D geological structures. Extended Abstract. EAGE Conference Belgrade, European Association of Geoscientists & Engineers, Houten, The Netherlands.
- Gradshteyn I.S. and Ryzhik I.M., 1994. Table of Integrals, Series, and Products (5th Edition). Academic Press, New York.
- Hanyga A., 1995. Asymptotic edge-and-vertex diffraction theory. Geophys. J. Int., 123, 277–290. CrossRef
- Hilterman J., 1970. Three-dimensional seismic modeling. Geophysics, 35, 1020–1037.
- Kanasewich E. and Phadke S., 1988. Imaging discontinuities on seismic sections. Geophysics, 53, 334–345.
- Keller J.B., 1953. The geometrical theory of diffraction. In: Proceedings of the Symposium on Microwave Optics. McGill University Press, Montreal, Canada.
- Keller J.B., 1962. Geometrical theory of diffraction. J. Opt. Soc. Am., 52, 116–130. CrossRef
- Klem-Musatov K.D., 1994. Theory of Seismic Diffractions. Society of Exploration Geophysicists, Tulsa, OK, ISBN: 1-56080-074-7. CrossRef
- Klem-Musatov K.D. and Aizenberg A.M., 1984. The ray method and the theory of edge waves. Geophys. J. R. Astr. Soc., 79, 35–50. CrossRef
- Klem-Musatov K.D. and Aizenberg A.M., 1985. Seismic modelling by the methods of the theory of edge waves. J. Geophys., 57, 90–105.
- Landa E., Shtivelman V. and Gelchinsky B., 1987. A method for detection of diffracted waves on common-offset sections. Geophys. Prospect., 35, 359–373. CrossRef
- Moser T. and Howard C., 2008. Diffraction imaging in depth. Geophys. Prospect., 56, 627–641. CrossRef
- Pedersen H.M., Gelius L.-J. and Stamnes J.J., 1989. 3D seismic modelling of edge diffractions. Geophys. Prospect., 37, 639–646. CrossRef
- Sandvin O., Pedersen H.M. and Gjøystdal H., 1984. Diffraction modelling in complex 3D-media. SEG Expanded Abstracts, 3, 395–397. CrossRef
- Scott P. and Helmberger D., 1983. Applications of the Kirchhoff-Helmholtz integral to problems in seismology. Geophys. J. R. Astr. Soc., 72, 237–254. CrossRef
- Shtivelman V., 1984. A hybrid method for wave field computation. Geophys. Prospect., 32, 236–257. CrossRef
- Stamnes J.J., 1986. Waves in Focal Regions. Adam Hilger, Bristol, U.K.
- Trorey A.W., 1970. A simple theory for seismic diffractions. Geophysics, 35, 1020–1037.
- Trorey A.W., 1977. Diffraction for arbitrary source receiver location. Geophysics, 42, 1177–1182.
- Tygel M. and Ursin B., 1999. Weak-contrast edge and vertex diffractions in anisotropic elastic media. Wave Motion, 29, 363–373. CrossRef
- 3-D acoustic modelling of edge diffractions — revisited
Studia Geophysica et Geodaetica
Volume 56, Issue 2 , pp 433-456
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- asymptotic techniques
- Industry Sectors
- Leiv -J. Gelius (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Geosciences, University of Oslo, P.O. Box 1047, 0316, Oslo, Norway