Perfidious and Pernicious Singlism
- Anne Byrne
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
- Adams, M. (1976). Single blessedness: Observations on the single status in married society. New York: Basic Books.
- Allen, K. R. (1989). Single women/family ties: Life histories of older women. Newbury Park, CA: Sage.
- Anonymous (1852). Single blessedness or single ladies and gentleman against the slanders of the pulpit, press and lecture room. New York: CS Francis; Boston, Crosby, Nichols & Co., Original from Harvard College Library from the fund of Harriet J. G. Denny of Boston. Digitized Oct. 18, 2005.
- Auchmuty, R. (1975). Victorian spinsters. Ph.D thesis, Australian National University [Australia].
- Baker, L. G. (1968). The personal and social adjustment of the never-married woman. Journal of Marriage and the Family, 30, 473–479. CrossRef
- Bell, R. M., & Yans-McLaughlin, V. (2008). Women on their own: Interdisciplinary perspectives on being single. USA: Rutgers University Press.
- Bernard, J. (1972). The future of marriage. USA: Bantam.
- Blanchard, I. (1985). The development of self-esteem among women born in the 1930s who have never married. Ph.D Thesis, Syracuse University, USA.
- Bonds-White, F. E. (1987). An exploratory study of the adult development of a group of never married women from 22–82. Ph.D Thesis, Temple University, USA.
- Cargan, L., & Melko, M. (1982). Singles: Myths and realities. USA: Sage.
- Chambers-Schiller, L. V. (1984). Liberty, a better husband. Single women in America: The generations of 1780–1840. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.
- Clements, M. (1998). The improvised woman: Single women reinventing single life. USA: Norton.
- DePaulo, B., & Morris, W. (2005). Singles in Society and Science. Psychological Inquiry, 16(2&3), 57–83. CrossRef
- Dougherty, N. (1988). Why some women stay single: An object-relations based study of their reasons and experiences. Ph.D Thesis, University of Alabama, USA.
- Enoch, L. (1987). Never married women: A study of adaptation. Ph.D Thesis, Smith College, USA.
- Froide, A. (2005). Never married: Singlewomen in early modern England. USA: Oxford University Press.
- Gordon, T. (1994). Single women: On the margins? London: MacMillan.
- Gove, W. R. (1972). The Relationship between sex roles, marital status and mental illness. Social Forces, 51, 34–44. CrossRef
- Hartz-Karp, J. F. (1981). Never married women: The experience, expectations and effects of never marrying and role adaptations to a negatively evaluated status. Ph.D Thesis, University of California, Los Angeles, USA (UMI).
- Holden, K. (2007). The shadow of marriage: Singleness in England 1914–1960. UK: Manchester University Press.
- Jagers, J. L. (1987). Interpersonal and intrapersonal attributes of never-married singles. Ph.D Thesis, North Texas State University, USA.
- Jeffreys, S. (1985). The spinster and her enemies: Feminism and sexuality 1880–1930. London: Pandora Press.
- Kent, M. (1988). How to marry the man of your choice: A book to lead you out of the singles jungle and into a happy marriage. UK: Robson Books.
- Lange, M. L. (1987). Barriers to intimacy and commitment among never married and divorced women. Ph.D Thesis, University of New York at Buffalo, USA.
- LevySimon, B. (1987). Never married women. USA: Temple University Press.
- Macvarish, J. (2006). What is ‘the problem’ of singleness? Sociological Research Online, 11, 3, <http://www.socresonline.org.uk/11/3/macvarish.html>.
- Reynolds, J. (2008). The single woman: A discursive investigation. UK: Routledge.
- Simpson, R. (2006). The intimate relationships of contemporary spinsters. Sociological Research Online, 11, 3, <http://www.socresonline.org.uk/11/3/simpson.html>.
- Spreitzer, E., & Riley, L. (1974). Factors associated with singlehood. Journal of Marriage and the Family, 36(3), 533–542. CrossRef
- Stein, P. J. (1976). Single. USA: Prentice-Hall.
- Trimberger, E. K. (2006). The new single woman. USA: Beacon Press.
- Vicinus, M. (1985). Independent women: Work and community for single women, 1850–1920. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Perfidious and Pernicious Singlism
Volume 60, Issue 9-10 , pp 760-763
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Anne Byrne (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland