Scientometric analysis of the major Iranian medical universities
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Nowadays, scientometrics has become an important field of study to monitor the progresses in scientific performance of a research group, a department, a university etc. A number of scientometrical studies have been done about Iranian scientific outcome in recent years. But there is no comparison between major Iranian medical universities. In this study, by using Scopus as search engine, the scientific outcomes of the Iran University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, and Tehran University of Medical Sciences have been compared with each other. These universities were compared by the number of published articles per year, number of citations received per year, number of citations received per year per article, total H-indices, top ten authors, and top ten journals. The results of this study show that the order of the studied universities in research performance is as follow: Tehran > Shiraz = Shahid Beheshti > Isfahan = Iran > Tabriz = Mashhad universities of medical sciences. In addition, the data of Tehran University of Medical Sciences as the top medical university of Iran was compared with some of top medical universities around the world.
- Abramo, G., D’Angelo, C. A., & Solazzi, M. (2009). Assessing public–private research collaboration: Is it possible to compare university performance? Scientometrics. doi:10.1007/s11192-009-0104-0.
- Alewell, K. (1990). Criteria for performance profiles of departments and universities. Scientometrics. doi:10.1007/BF02020697.
- Aminpour, F., Kabiri, P., Boroumand, M. A., Keshtkar, A. A., & Hejazi, S. S. (2010). Iranian Medical Universities in SCIE: Evaluation of address variation. Scientometrics. doi:10.1007/s11192-010-0248-y.
- Aminpour, F., Kabiri, P., Otroj, Z., & Keshtkar, A. A. (2009). Webometric analysis of Iranian universities of medical sciences. Scientometrics, doi:10.1007/s11192-008-2059-y.
- Asemi, A. (2010). A citation analysis of Iranian journals to open access (OA) articles and journals. Scientometrics. doi:10.1007/s11192-010-0184-x.
- Harirchi, G., Melin, G., & Etemad, S. (2007). An exploratory study of the feature of Iranian co-authorships in biology, chemistry and physics. Scientometrics. doi:10.1007/s11192-007-1693-0.
- Hayati, Z., & Ebrahimy, S. (2009). Correlation between quality and quantity in scientific production: A case study of Iranian organizations from 1997 to 2006. Scientometrics. doi:10.1007/s11192-009-2094-3.
- Mehrdad, M., Heydari, A., Sarbolouki, M. N., & Etemad, S. (2004). Basic science in the Islamic Republic of Iran. Scientometrics. doi:10.1023/B:SCIE.0000037364.65282.4d.
- Moin, M., Mahmoudi, M., & Rezaei, N. (2005). Scientific output of Iran at the threshold of the 21st century. Scientometrics. doi:10.1007/s11192-005-0017-5.
- Noori, R., Norouzi, A., & Mirzaee, A. (2006). Science production of IUMS researchers as appeared in the Web of Science from 1976 to 2006. Health Information Management, 3(2), 73–82.
- Osareh, F., & Wilson, C. S. (2000). A comparison of Iranian scientific publications in the Science Citation Index: 1985–1989 and 1990–1994. Scientometrics. doi:10.1023/A:1005648723433.
- Schmoch, U., & Schubert, T. (2009). When and how to use bibliometrics as a screening tool for research performance. Science and Public Policy. doi:10.3152/030234209X481978.
- Shahbodaghi, A., & Shekofteh, M. (2009). A comprehensive study of published articles by members of SBMU and their citation status as reported by the Institute for Scientific Information (ISI) from 1998–2007. Pejouhesh, 33(2), 81–87.
- Sotudeh, H. (2010). Are Iranian scientists recognized as their productivity enhances? A comparison of Iran’s impact to global norms in different subfields of Science Citation Index during 2002–2005. Scientometrics. doi:10.1007/s11192-009-0018-x.
- Torres-Salinas, D., Lopez-Cózar, E.D., & Jiménez-Contreras, E. (2008). Ranking of departments and researchers within a university using two different databases: Web of Science versus Scopus. Scientometrics. doi:10.1007/s11192-008-2113-9.
- Yalpani, M., Heydari, A., & Mehrdad, M. (2005). Application of scientometric methods to chemical research in Iran: Reflections on Iran’s current science policy. Scientometrics. doi:10.1007/s11192-005-0226-y.
- Scientometric analysis of the major Iranian medical universities
Volume 87, Issue 1 , pp 205-220
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- University of Medical Science
- Number of article
- Industry Sectors