Citation accuracy in environmental science journals
- Robert Lopresti
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Citations in five leading environmental science journals were examined for accuracy. 24.41% of the 2,650 citations checked were found to contain errors. The largest category of errors was in the author field. Of the five journals Conservation Biology had the lowest percentage of citations with errors and Climatic Change had the highest. Of the citations with errors that could be checked in Web of Science, 18.18% of the errors caused a search for the cited article to fail. Citations containing electronic links had fewer errors than those without.
- Asano, M., et al. (1995). Improvement of the accuracy of references in the Canadian Journal of Anaesthesia. Canadian Journal of Anesthesia, 42, 370–372. CrossRef
- Booth, A. (2004). A checker’s career? Health Information and Libraries Journal, 21, 269–272. CrossRef
- Broadus, R. N. (1983). An investigation of the validity of bibliographic citations. Journal of the American Society for Information Science, 34, 132–135. CrossRef
- CENTER FOR JOURNAL RANKING (2007) Journal Ranking, http://www.journal-ranking.com/ranking (Accessed 06 September 2007).
- Cronin, B. (1984). The citation process: the role and significance of citations in scientific communication. London: Taylor Graham.
- Goh, D. H., & Ng, P. K. (2006). Link decay in leading information science journals. Journal of the American Society for Information Science, 58, 15–24.
- O’Connor, L. G., & Kristof, C. (2001). Verify your citations: accuracy of reference citations in twelve business and economics journals. Journal of Business and Finance Librarianship, 6, 23–40. CrossRef
- Place, F., Jr. (1916). Verify your references: a word to medical writers. New York Medical Journal, 104, 697–699.
- Todd, P. A., et al. (2007). Citing practices in ecology: can we believe our own words? Oikos, 116, 1599–1601. CrossRef
- WEB OF SCIENCE. (2009). Web of Science Help. http://images.isiknowledge.com/WOKRS49B3/help/WOS/h_database.html (Accessed 16 June 2010).
- Citation accuracy in environmental science journals
Volume 85, Issue 3 , pp 647-655
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Citation accuracy
- Citation errors
- Environmental journals
- Industry Sectors
- Robert Lopresti (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Wilson Library, Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA, USA