Modified collaborative coefficient: a new measure for quantifying the degree of research collaboration
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Collaborative coefficient (CC) is a measure of collaboration in research, that reflects both the mean number of authors per paper as well as the proportion of multi-authored papers. Although it lies between the values 0 and 1, and is 0 for a collection of purely single-authored papers, it is not 1 for the case where all papers are maximally authored, i.e., every publication in the collection has all authors in the collection as co-authors. We propose a simple modification of CC, which we call modified collaboration coefficient (or MCC, for short), which improves its performance in this respect.
- Ajiferuke, I., Burrel, Q., Tague, J. (1988) Collaborative coefficient: A single measure of the degree of collaboration in research. Scientometrics 14: pp. 421-433 CrossRef
- De Solla Price, D. J., Beaver, D. B. (1966) Collaboration in an invisible college. American Psychologist 21: pp. 1011-1018 CrossRef
- Goffman, W., & Warren, K. S. (1969). A mathematical analysis of a medical literature: Schistosomiasis 1852–1962. In: K. Cheshire (Eds.), A symposium: Information in the health sciences. Working to the future, Cleveland Medical Library Association of the Cleveland Health Sciences Library, December 3–4.
- Gupta, B. M., Kumar, S., & Karisiddappa, C. R. (1997). Collaboration profile of theoretical population genetics speciality. Scientometrics, 39, 293–314.
- Lawani, S. M. (1980). Quality, collaboration and citations in cancer research: A 268 bibliometric study. Ph.D. Dissertation, Florida State University, 395 pp.
- Melin, G., Persson, O. (1996) Studying research collaboration using co-authorships. Scientometrics 36: pp. 363-377 CrossRef
- Rousseau, R. (1994) The number of authors per article in library and information science can often be described by a simple probability distribution. Journal of Documentation 50: pp. 134-141 CrossRef
- Subramanyam, K. (1983) Bibliometric studies of research collaboration: A review. Journal of Information Science 6: pp. 33-38 CrossRef
- Modified collaborative coefficient: a new measure for quantifying the degree of research collaboration
Volume 84, Issue 2 , pp 365-371
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Collaborative coefficient
- Multiple authorship
- Industry Sectors