Is Adjunction Compositional?
- Marcus Kracht
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper shows that there is no compositional TAG for boolean expressions. This indicates that adjunction cannot carry the weight of constructing the semantics compositionally, in contrast to approaches based on discontinuity instead (like Linear Context Free Rewrite Systems). Although the proof is based on the assumption that the semantic functions are partial it seems highly unlikely that allowing partial semantic functions will help.
- Calcagno, M. (1995) A sign-based extension to the Lambek calculus for discontinuous constituents. Bulletin of the IGPL 3: pp. 555-578 CrossRef
- Frank, A., Genabith, J. LL-based semantics for LTAG – and what it teaches us about LFG and LTAG. In: Butt, M., King, T.H. eds. (2001) Proceedings of the LFG’01 Conference. CSLI Online Publications, University of Hong Kong
- Gardent, C., & Kallmeyer, L. (2003). Semantic construction in feature-based TAG. In Proceedings of the 10th Meeting of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics, Budapest.
- Gardent, C., & Parmentier, Y. (2005). Large scale semantic construction for tree adjoining grammar. In Proceedings of Logical Aspects in Computational Linguistics. Springer.
- Kallmeyer, L., Joshi, A. (2003) Factoring predicate argument and scope semantics: Underspecified semantics with LTAG. Research in Language and Computation 1: pp. 3-58 CrossRef
- Kracht, M. (2003). The mathematics of language. Number 63 in Studies in Generative Grammar. Mouton de Gruyter, Berlin.
- Kracht, M. (2006) Partial algebras, meaning categories and algebraization. Theoretical Computer Science 354: pp. 131-141 CrossRef
- Kracht, M. (2007). Lectures on interpreted languages and compositionality. Manuscript, UCLA.
- Martín-Vide, C., Păun, G. (1998) Structured contextual grammars. Grammars 1: pp. 33-55 CrossRef
- Is Adjunction Compositional?
Research on Language and Computation
Volume 6, Issue 1 , pp 53-77
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Marcus Kracht (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Linguistics, UCLA, PO Box 951543, 405 Hilgard Avenue, Los Angeles, CA, 90095-1543, USA